Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs sign Antonio Bryant!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13

Larry Brackins

Starter
#15 : March 10, 2008, 06:34:29 PM

I think I'll wet my pants.

It's a solid signing don't get me wrong, but it's definatley not what I am looking for.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 10, 2008, 06:36:55 PM

yay............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

::)

Grudens_Flame

Second String

#17 : March 10, 2008, 06:37:03 PM

Link? Anyone?

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#18 : March 10, 2008, 06:37:12 PM

Wouldn't even call it solid.  It's one of those "meh..." signings.  It may turn out to be a good gamble like Stevens or one that doesn't work out like Boston.  Not really that big of a deal either way.

#19 : March 10, 2008, 06:37:20 PM

Where is PR on this story?

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 10, 2008, 06:37:50 PM

Link? Anyone?

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/bucs-give-bryant-second-chance/

#21 : March 10, 2008, 06:37:57 PM

Hoo boy. From what I just read in this thread I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

#22 : March 10, 2008, 07:18:24 PM

Antonio Bryant is a piece of garbage.  He appears to have an attitude everywhere he goes...  Im sure he's gonna love it here were players buy out their own contract to get out.   He's been in the NFL for 5 years and I barely recognize his name.   in the seasons he played 16 games, he had season yardage of 773, 550,  and 1009 yard seasons...        and the 1009 season was for Cleveland when he was the #1 there.   

bottom line is...    the most we could ever expect from him MIGHT be a microscopic step above what Ike Hillard would contribute next year.  Yawn.   Because of his troubles, I hope we got him on the cheap...  

Grudens_Flame

Second String

#23 : March 10, 2008, 07:18:37 PM

Sign a guy who was out of football last year and leave Bryant Johnson out there? Please don't say that Bryant is better than Johnson. We could have signed Bryant last year when we really needed the help and declined to for reasons unknown...I guess those reasons have changed? Simply amazingly stupid....!

Actually I would definitely say Antonio Bryant is better than Bryant Johnson.  

Is the latter really that good, or do you think he's just a FA name out there that some fans actually recognize which is why they want him in Tampa?

Definitely because they saw his name on a top 20 FA list on some web site.  Bryant Johnson is okay.  Antonio Bryant is a bonafide #2 WR and maybe even a #1.  

Straight Up...Agree!

Attitude reflects leadership, Captain.  - Julius (Remember the Titans)

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 10, 2008, 06:41:07 PM

As long as he stays under control, its a great signing

some older info [pre-thowing jersey at the Big Tuna]

Biography:
PRO: An athletic playmaker who has a flare for making the difficult reception, Antonio Bryant came into the NFL with impressive credentials and answered the calling with a very productive rookie season. He has all the tools necessary to develop into a dominant receiver in the NFL for years to come. As a rookie, he displayed the ability to catch the ball in a crowd, while also being able to make the leaping catch. Bryant has 4.43 speed in the forty to go along with solid leaping ability and excellent focus. His natural elusiveness and ability to run after catching the ball contributed to a team-high 16.7 yards-per-catch average that was the best among all NFC receivers in 2002. Bryant was the second of two Cowboys second-round draft choices (63rd overall) in 2002.

2003: Caught 39 passes for 550 yards and 2 touchdowns during his sophomore campaign with the Cowboys. 28 of his 39 catches gave Dallas a first down, including a team-high tying 11 to convert third down opportunities. Had a season high 5 receptions for 98 yards versus the New York Giants on September 15th.

2002: As only the second Dallas rookie to open the season as a starting wide receiver (Michael Irvin - 1988), Bryant went on to earn All-Rookie honors. He led all NFL rookie receivers with 733 receiving yards, finishing 139 yards ahead of the next rookie wide-out (Dante Stallworth - N.O.). His 44 receptions were the second most by an NFL rookie and second on the Cowboys behind Joey Galloway. His six touchdown receptions were second among NFL rookie receivers and tied for the Cowboys team lead. His reception (44) and touchdown (six) totals were the second most for a rookie in Dallas team history behind the numbers posted by Bob Hayes (46 catches and 12 touchdowns) in 1965. A season ending neck injury to Raghib Ismail forced Bryant into a baptism under fire as an opening day starter.

COLLEGE: A Biletnikoff Award winner and consensus All-America selection as a sophomore, Bryant left the University of Pittsburgh after his junior year as the school's all-time leading receiver with 3,061 career yards (including bowl games). His 173 career receptions were the second most in school history. He also set the Pittsburgh mark for career touchdown catches with 30, including four in two bowl appearances. Bryant also left an impressive legacy in the Big East, holding conference marks for regular season touchdowns with 26, and 100-yard receiving games with 13. As a junior in 2001, Bryant fought through nagging injuries en route to first-team All-Big East recognition. He finished the season with a team-high 42 receptions and nine touchdowns, while compiling 659 receiving yards (15.7 per catch). He capped his final collegiate season by earning MVP honors in the Visit Florida Tangerine Bowl. A consensus All-America as a sophomore, Bryant was named the winner of the Biletnikoff Award, annually presented to the nation's top receiver, becoming just the second sophomore to win the award (Minnesota Vikings' Randy Moss in 1997).  

another:

After a Year at Home, Antonio Bryant Wants Back in the NFL
Posted Feb 18th 2008 12:19PM by Ryan Wilson
Filed under: 49ers, Cowboys, NFL Fans, NFL Rumors, NFL Free Agency

The San Francisco 49ers released wide receiver Antonio Bryant almost a year ago. The former 2002 second-round pick has had a tumultuous NFL career, including a 2006 DUI charge that led to a four-game suspension, and spent last season sitting at home wondering if he'd ever get another chance to play in the NFL.

Interestingly, in October head coach Mike Nolan admitted that he still thinks about Bryant and would consider re-signing him if he thought Bryant had matured.

Well, after some time off, Bryant would like to get back in the league. From the Sacramento Bee's Matthew Barrows:
Bryant's agent insisted yesterday that Bryant's year off from football was a valuable learning experience and that his client has changed his ways. I don't think Bryant will be a choirboy in 2008, but he turns 27 in March and you'd hope that he's reached the point where he realizes one more big screw up could end his football career and that the millions of dollars that come with it would go up in a puff, ahem, of smoke. I like Bryant.
I thought he was a genuine, hard-working guy whose Achilles heel is that he's very, very high strung. I think if the 49ers re-acquired him there would be bumpy periods, but at the end of the season the relationship would be mostly positive. ... But my guess is that he'll end up elsewhere. He lives in Texas and the Cowboys seem like a good fit.
I have no idea if Bryant will end up with the Cowboys, but his chances have to be infinitely better with Bill Parcells no longer around to throw jerseys at. Whatever happens, hopefully Bryant's got his emotions under control. Teams are forever pining for big wideouts, and for Bryant to sit out an entire season says more about his above-the-neck issues, than his physical abilities.
http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2008/02/18/after-a-year-at-home-antonio-bryant-wants-to-back-in-the-nfl/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.aol.com%2Ffanhouse%2F2008%2F02%2F18%2Fafter-a-year-at-home-antonio-bryant-wants-to-back-in-the-nfl%2F&frame=true

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 10, 2008, 06:41:22 PM

Whether or not you like him as a person the guy can play some football.  If he can stay out of trouble I think it's a good signing.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 10, 2008, 06:41:53 PM

Wouldn't even call it solid.  It's one of those "meh..." signings.  It may turn out to be a good gamble like Stevens or one that doesn't work out like Boston.  Not really that big of a deal either way.

agreed.  signing former 1st rd picks to 1 year "prove it deals" is hit and miss but its worth the gamble.  

Larry Brackins

Starter
#27 : March 10, 2008, 06:42:41 PM

Yeah you described it in a better way.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

#28 : March 10, 2008, 06:42:56 PM

One thing I can say about him is he's made some "sick" catches.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 10, 2008, 06:46:15 PM

Do I correctly remember him having KO return ability in his prior NFL stints?

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs sign Antonio Bryant!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools