Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is everyone excited that Dunn is here? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: March 12, 2008, 10:57:49 AM

Dunn born January 5,1975.

He is already 33.

SO they are basically the same age football season wise.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 12, 2008, 10:33:38 AM

ADW, exactly how is ABucc's supposed to "show" you that Dunn is a better pass-blocker?

The same way he showed me how Dunn is an upgrade over Pittman.

goobtube

Starter

#2 : March 12, 2008, 10:16:20 AM

and id think clearly, we signed him to be a 3rd down guy.  im excited because i think he's the stopgap we need, and his signing will give us some time to re-evaluate caddy.

well said

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 11, 2008, 09:30:17 AM

There seems to be a consistent "yes!" to the signing of Warrick Dunn around here and I wonder where that excitement is coming from. Is it because this is the only recognizable name the Bucs have signed this year, is it bringing up old, very old, memories of Dunn doing big things for the Bucs, or is it because you guys actually think it's a good move by the FO?

Has anyone watched Dunn the past two seasons? He's not an in-between the tackle type back anymore, clearly he's a 3rd down guy. His production went south when the Falcons went away from the zone blocking shceme. Please help me get excited here, the Dunn I've seen the past few years has been awful.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 11, 2008, 09:35:21 AM

and id think clearly, we signed him to be a 3rd down guy.  im excited because i think he's the stopgap we need, and his signing will give us some time to re-evaluate caddy.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 11, 2008, 09:37:12 AM

Why - because it was a controversial pick up - some wanted to make the move, others think he is past his usefulness.  I just am glad to see another issue arise where folks can take sides between liking the FO and their decisions, and those who declare them damn near inept and should be fired before tomorrow's sunrise... (noting heavy sarcasm throughout)

Seriously keepon - I like the pick up.  No Dunn is not a kid anymore - but he knows the game, and fits well into the buccs scheme.  I did see him the past two years.  This last year he looked like everyone else with ATL - lost.  That one season has to be treated as a wash.  I am hoping he still has most of the skills he showed two and three years ago - and that he can still catch and run with the ball, and that he can spell EG and be of assistance on third downs...  

I am more excited about the move for Byrant personally -

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 11, 2008, 09:41:38 AM

You're pretty objective dbuc, as always. I guess I wonder where Bennett fits in now, it's going to be interesting.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#7 : March 11, 2008, 09:46:34 AM

I bet Dunn will feel like crap every day he walks into one buc place and sees that LOMBARDI that he missed out on...

That has to cut him, even though he got his payday, that trophy will bother him on a daily basis.

As far as why everyone is excited for his signing?

Nostalgia...  Right or wrong, people yearn for the way things were, and Dunn brought some respect to a team that had none.  I loved him when he was here, but he left.

Now he's back and people are expecting the old Warrick Dunn, problem is, we are getting the "OLD" Warrick Dunn all right, with a lot more miles and little else.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 11, 2008, 09:48:16 AM

Bennett's biggest issue has been himself - from what he has said regarding the playbook and playing time - he just needs to get over it - and get ready.  He has skills - and speed galore.  If he would just get ready to play, and stop the talk, his playing time will take care of itself.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

captaindabblin

Second String

#9 : March 11, 2008, 09:48:58 AM

If Caddy can't go and EG tweaks something, "who ya gonna call"? Warrick gives us needed depth and experience. And, I'd say Dunn has never played behind an O'line like what we'll be fielding in '08...
     Bennett is a spot player with us to date; haven't seen any indication he could step in full-time as yet. I'd call Warrick an insurance policy in case Bennett struggles...
     There's always Pittman, but I think Dunn is an upgrade. If Pitt returns, it'll be as a backup FB...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 11, 2008, 09:53:08 AM

Why is everyone excited?

They all have that old Dunn Jersey...

WEar it and let T-Jax KNOW you love him!

marlevr

Second String
#11 : March 11, 2008, 09:58:44 AM

I agree with you keep, I don't see how Dunn is better than Pittman at this point in his career. We have the same type of player in Bennett who is several years younger and 10 times faster. With such a deep RB draft class I don't see the purpose of this move. Just a nostalgic sign IMO.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 11, 2008, 10:01:26 AM

Dunn has been better than Pittman every year - that is not a good comparison. 

Bennett is not a pass catcher, nor a good blocker - they are not that same. 

Agree about the depth of the RB class - and will admit to being surprised.  Might be the first inkling Caddy's recovery is going well... but I think that assessment is premature.  I do think it means one more Defensive Draft.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 11, 2008, 10:28:42 AM

Picks up the pass rush, can catch the ball. There's some usefulness. 

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 11, 2008, 10:35:19 AM

I've never seen a back pick up the blitz like Warrick.  I don't ever remember him blowing that assignment at all. That alone will bring big dividends...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is everyone excited that Dunn is here? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools