Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is everyone excited that Dunn is here? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 11, 2008, 11:20:44 AM

I've never seen a back pick up the blitz like Warrick. I don't ever remember him blowing that assignment at all. That alone will bring big dividends...

He blew a block once I believe it was against Detriot. The Bucs were deep in there end of the field like the 10 yard line a LB came in on a blitz between the LG and center Dunn lowered his head to throw the block just a bit early and the LB jumped over Dunn head like he was diving hit the ground at the Bucs QB legs and tackled the QB. I remember it but just can't remember the year. It was a great play by the LB

At least he was in the right place which is more then I can say for some of the guys we've had who were there to pick up a blitz.

The reason it was such a huge play for the LB was because it was Dunn throwing the block. Dunn never gives up a sack like that. I agree Dunn was in the right place.

#31 : March 11, 2008, 11:22:08 AM

because he is the new alstot. 8)

the fan favorite. we need one around here.
though mine is garcia!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#32 : March 11, 2008, 11:27:29 AM

There seems to be a consistent "yes!" to the signing of Warrick Dunn around here and I wonder where that excitement is coming from. Is it because this is the only recognizable name the Bucs have signed this year, is it bringing up old, very old, memories of Dunn doing big things for the Bucs, or is it because you guys actually think it's a good move by the FO?

Has anyone watched Dunn the past two seasons? He's not an in-between the tackle type back anymore, clearly he's a 3rd down guy. His production went south when the Falcons went away from the zone blocking shceme. Please help me get excited here, the Dunn I've seen the past few years has been awful.

Has been awful in a horrible situation down there in Atlanta. So if he is a 3rd down guy, he's better than most 3rd down guys in the league right now. He upgrades our offense as a joker back and I don't see how you can't see that.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#33 : March 11, 2008, 11:32:40 AM

He's been gone 6 years. Played here for 5.

What makes so many think he's the same old Dunn? IMO, he ain't. Lotta wear and tear on the body and legs.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 11, 2008, 11:36:44 AM

Has been awful in a horrible situation down there in Atlanta. So if he is a 3rd down guy, he's better than most 3rd down guys in the league right now. He upgrades our offense as a joker back and I don't see how you can't see that.

I can't see it, that's why I posted the thread.

Can you explain in detail what "it upgrades our offense as a joker back" means?

They had Vick last year and Dunn was awful. His best years were when he was running behind the zone blocking scheme, the Bucs may delpoy some here and there but for the most part it's man. Dunn is 33 years old and not even close to the best 3rd down back in football.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 11, 2008, 11:37:29 AM

I've never seen a back pick up the blitz like Warrick. I don't ever remember him blowing that assignment at all. That alone will bring big dividends...

He blew a block once I believe it was against Detriot. The Bucs were deep in there end of the field like the 10 yard line a LB came in on a blitz between the LG and center Dunn lowered his head to throw the block just a bit early and the LB jumped over Dunn head like he was diving hit the ground at the Bucs QB legs and tackled the QB. I remember it but just can't remember the year. It was a great play by the LB

At least he was in the right place which is more then I can say for some of the guys we've had who were there to pick up a blitz.

The reason it was such a huge play for the LB was because it was Dunn throwing the block. Dunn never gives up a sack like that. I agree Dunn was in the right place.

That sounds an awful lot like Brooks leapfrogging Dunn vs Atlanta

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 11, 2008, 11:37:52 AM

He's been gone 6 years. Played here for 5.

What makes so many think he's the same old Dunn? IMO, he ain't. Lotta wear and tear on the body and legs.

No one is ever the same especially when they get older.  But I still think this guy has some game and can help us tremendously...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 11, 2008, 11:39:16 AM

because FA has been boring as hell.  It is hard to get excited about centers, blocking TEs, or ST LBs.  This is a name average joe fan actually recognizes and can pull up youtube videos about.  Yaaa! 6 year old highlight, wooohooo.

Me, I am far more excited about Bryant, who could be an every down WR, than about a 3rd down back with nostalgic value.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 11, 2008, 11:42:07 AM

because FA has been boring as hell.  It is hard to get excited about centers, blocking TEs, or ST LBs.  This is a name average joe fan actually recognizes and can pull up youtube videos about.  Yaaa! 6 year old highlight, wooohooo.

That's what I'm thinking as well. It has nothing to do with Sunday and everything to do with peoples emotion.

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#39 : March 11, 2008, 11:47:57 AM

I can't see it, that's why I posted the thread.

Can you explain in detail what "it upgrades our offense as a joker back" means?

They had Vick last year and Dunn was awful. His best years were when he was running behind the zone blocking scheme, the Bucs may delpoy some here and there but for the most part it's man. Dunn is 33 years old and not even close to the best 3rd down back in football.

Joker back meaning he can line up on every skill position on offense and function reliably. No too many players in the league can do that. I argued against the Antonio Bryant signing (I believe that you were for it), but later realized that it is what it is. This is the same case with Dunn, now let's go to camp and see what's up. They are both here now!

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#40 : March 11, 2008, 11:50:21 AM

What does being 33 years of age have to do with anything. Garcia's damn near 40....

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 11, 2008, 11:50:46 AM

It is not fair to judge WD with what went on in Atlanta the past 2 seasons. I'm excited to have him back, even though older  he will still provide us with a spark that this offense so badly needs. A great option for Garcia in the slot and out of the backfield.
A new toy for Gruden to tinker with.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 11, 2008, 11:51:36 AM

What does being 33 years of age have to do with anything. Garcia's damn near 40....

Old QB's succeed all of the time.  You don't see many old RB's, do you?

BucNative

Starter

#43 : March 11, 2008, 11:56:12 AM

I'm personally a little more excited about the Bryant pickup, but I like the Dunn pickup as well.  I don't get how people are calling Dunn a 3rd down back however, unless your talking about his ability to catch out of the backfield.  Dunn is a smallish back, 3rd down requires a big bruising back to pound out that extra yard or two.  Thats not Dunn. 

Obviously Dunn isn't where he used to be, but I recall him ripping us a new **CENSORED** when we played Atlanta two years ago.  I think it was the opening game of the season.  I think Dunn can still get it done, but I believe that Graham is still better suited for the every down back type role as he is the guy that gets at least 4 yards almost every time he touches it. 

Besides, how can you not like both of these pickups with the kinds of contracts they were given.  Two years for Dunn and a one year, prove-it, deal with Bryant.  Both are relatively small numbers contracts given to two players that can contribute immediately, by a team that had the most cap space of any team in the league.  It tells me, the Bucs aren't done yet.  They are still working on some other deals, and possibly a big trade still.  Whats not to like about that?

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#44 : March 11, 2008, 12:06:24 PM

I'm personally a little more excited about the Bryant pickup, but I like the Dunn pickup as well.  I don't get how people are calling Dunn a 3rd down back however, unless your talking about his ability to catch out of the backfield.  Dunn is a smallish back, 3rd down requires a big bruising back to pound out that extra yard or two.  Thats not Dunn. 

Obviously Dunn isn't where he used to be, but I recall him ripping us a new dumb jerk when we played Atlanta two years ago.  I think it was the opening game of the season.  I think Dunn can still get it done, but I believe that Graham is still better suited for the every down back type role as he is the guy that gets at least 4 yards almost every time he touches it. 

Besides, how can you not like both of these pickups with the kinds of contracts they were given.  Two years for Dunn and a one year, prove-it, deal with Bryant.  Both are relatively small numbers contracts given to two players that can contribute immediately, by a team that had the most cap space of any team in the league.  It tells me, the Bucs aren't done yet.  They are still working on some other deals, and possibly a big trade still.  Whats not to like about that?

Points well taken...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is everyone excited that Dunn is here? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools