Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Draft, Bucs are up, make the pick: « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 12, 2008, 03:43:16 PM

Looking at who is on the board, RB Rashard Mendenhall - good size speed combination, tough insider runner, decent hands, speed to get to the edges.

The reason for the pick - Graham is signed through the 2008 season, the question is do the Bucs see him as the long term answer. Warrick Dunn is 33 and is here for a year, two at the most how productive can he be at 33 and beyond? Michael Bennett has a history of injury concerns and has had a problem in pass protection as well as a case of the drops his age doesnt warrant loner term stability at the position. Carnell Williams may never be the same and that is not saying much, he has hands of stone and seems too tentative to hit the hole and go, likes to dance in the backfield.

With the amount of junior running backs that came out this year the talent pool for the 2009 draft will be left with out sure fire top flight backs.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 12, 2008, 03:44:03 PM

When we get to 10 QBs on the roster can we stop?

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 12, 2008, 03:45:54 PM

Tampa Bay is on the Clock. Here are the players still available. Make the pick and tell us why.

DT Kentwan Balmer
DE Lawrence Jackson
DE Calais Campbell
CB Aquib Talib
CB Antione Cason
FS Kenny Phillips
OLB Quentin Groves
OT Sam Baker
OG Branden Albert
RB Rashard Mendenhall
WR Desean Jackson
WR Limas Sweed
WR James Hardy
WR Devin Thomas
QB Brian Brohm

If I couldnt trade down and these were the best players available, i would choose

CB Aquib Talib

Heres why: Talib will be to the Tampa 2 what Ronde has been for years. He is a playmaker with the physical tools to tackle and put his hands on the receiver at the line. He also has long arms and he has good size for a corner in the NFL... he also has some return ability on ST which could be useful while learning our system in the first year and when he is taking an interception back. Talib is a risky player, sometimes he will go for the pick, but I think Morris will help him become more disciplined. He is one of those rare instinctual guys that you dont want to pass up because they know how to play the game. He is good in both man and zone coverages, and we play a mix of both more often now so its important that he can stick with his receiver. He has great awareness as well, with 43 pass break ups and 13 interceptions in his collegiate career.

i was tempted to go DT Balmer or DE Calais Campbell eventhough his stock has been dropping, but I feel we can get a near equal quality player in the 2nd round. I think talib has more upside than the D-linemen that you have still available. My main concern with Talib is his potential to be a bust. Talib also has character concerns but none that have been serious or substantial to my knowledge... You never know who will be great and who will suck so i will take the risk here. We do have Raheem Morris :)

Raideneers

Starter

#18 : March 12, 2008, 03:46:59 PM

Mendenhall with a strong desire to trade down prior to pulling the trigger for more picks if possible.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#19 : March 12, 2008, 03:47:18 PM

Carl Nicks

He may not be a guy you can plug in day one, but put him next to Sears and you have two massive lineman who are great athletes on the left side. Our running game would become even better going left than going right, and it was pretty darn good going right last year.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 12, 2008, 03:47:57 PM

Mendenhall.

With the OL maturing at it's current pace, he and Graham would give us a power duo that would be hard for any defense to stop. Open things up for the passing game too..

#21 : March 12, 2008, 03:48:47 PM

When we get to 10 QBs on the roster can we stop?
Simms/Grads/"Plummer"/McCown are cut, traded or sent the the CFL.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 12, 2008, 03:49:19 PM

WR DeSean Jackson.

Speed Demon and Special Teams Monster

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 12, 2008, 03:49:59 PM

Balmer.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#24 : March 12, 2008, 03:50:10 PM

Since Jenkins isn't on the list, RB Rashard Mendenhall. We need a CB but we need a RB as well.

But what I would really like to do if Jenkins isn't there is trade down to the bottom of the first. Pick up another second rounder.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 12, 2008, 03:51:46 PM

DE Lawrence Jackson

an RB?  So what we're going to have Graham, Bennett, Dunn, a first round back, and the possibility of Cadillac?

You guys are dumb.  McFadden could drop to us, and I'd doubt we'd take him.  Not saying I agree with it, but guys let's get real.  As for WR, if the Bucs add Hackett or Bryant Johnson then you can rule that out as well.

I doubt we add a QB, but with Gruden, its a possibility.  We will go defense and WE NEED to go D.  

marlevr

Second String
#26 : March 12, 2008, 03:53:29 PM

RB Mendenhall.

You can get a WR or CB on the later rounds. He will be this year's Steven Jackson (like that other thread explained).

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 12, 2008, 03:54:49 PM

meh.

Lawrence Jackson doesn't have much value there.

Bennett is only under contract for one more year, same with Graham, Dunn is 33 and Cadillac has a non existant knee.
I hate the RB pick too but I guess it's a possiblity.

Even if the Bucs scooped up Hackett or Johnson what happens when Galloway goes down or retires in a year? Ike is getting up there in years too.....then we are back to square one. WR will still be a need come draft time

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 12, 2008, 03:55:46 PM

RB Mendenhall.

You can get a WR or CB on the later rounds. He will be this year's Steven Jackson (like that other thread explained).

Same can be said for RB.

You can get a quality RB anywhere.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 12, 2008, 03:56:10 PM

Carl Nicks

He may not be a guy you can plug in day one, but put him next to Sears and you have two massive lineman who are great athletes on the left side. Our running game would become even better going left than going right, and it was pretty darn good going right last year.
I think he's pretty much just regarded as a right tackle.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2008 Draft, Bucs are up, make the pick: « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools