Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Better know a prospect: Joe Thomas edition « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

: December 11, 2006, 08:30:24 AM

Now that we've got a top three pick I thought it would be fun to use this thread to discuss prospects for round one as well as later rounds. This week, our featured prospect is Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin. Everyone that posts here can share scouting reports, information, or opinions on Thomas. I'll start us off.

I'm a member on the nfldraftcountdown.com and I asked owner and draft expert Scott Wright this question. "DBrick vs Gallery vs Tomas: who was the best prospect at the time?"

I can only speak for myself but Gallery isn't even in the conversation and I wasn't nearly as high on him as most were prior to that draft. So it comes down to D'Brick and Thomas. Ferguson was without question the superior pass blocker but in terms of an all-around game with pass and run blocking I think Thomas is the better prospect.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#1 : December 12, 2006, 08:47:15 PM

Nobody?

I'll give this a bump to see if anyone bites.

#2 : December 12, 2006, 08:52:20 PM

Ferguson also didn't play TE or have knee surgery (from playing defense) I don't believe.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 12, 2006, 08:55:25 PM

Thomas is rated as the best PLAYER in the draft right now.  If bucs can get him they are getting a potential franchise LOT.  Gotta take him IMHO.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

shall555

Starter

#4 : December 12, 2006, 08:57:15 PM

I'm a member with the NFL Sporting News war room and these are some of his strengths and weaknesses. I'm not putting all of the information, since it's a paid service, but the gist of the content.

Strengths - Is tall with the athletic ability and flexibility to bend knees and pass block with a wide base. Shuffles and slides well with pass rushers. Shows the smarts, instincts and footwork to work well with the other linemen to adjust in pass protection. Can pull and block outside linebackers in the open field.

Weaknesses - Must be more aggressive with hand punch in pass protection and when attacking defensive linemen in the running game. Must add 10-15 pounds of bulk. Is a long-term durability risk after injuring his right knee on Jan. 2, 2006, while subbing along the defensive line during the Capital One Bowl.

My main concern is his long term durability. I don't like medical issues of any kind, when drafting a player in the top 3.  

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 12, 2006, 10:23:17 PM

Many of us were down on Marcus McNeil for that reason last year and yet he worked out fine for San Diego, at least so far. The difference is that McNeil's problem was considered chronic and would never heal completely. Thomas has not only bounced back, but is still improving. He apparently had a wonderful surgery (he could bend his knee at a 90 degree angle less than 24 hours after the surgery) and is pretty much a consensus top lineman in the country. I don't think you can pass him by if he's there at 3.

In Verner We Trust

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 12, 2006, 10:35:52 PM

Many of us were down on Marcus McNeil for that reason last year and yet he worked out fine for San Diego, at least so far. The difference is that McNeil's problem was considered chronic and would never heal completely. Thomas has not only bounced back, but is still improving. He apparently had a wonderful surgery (he could bend his knee at a 90 degree angle less than 24 hours after the surgery) and is pretty much a consensus top lineman in the country. I don't think you can pass him by if he's there at 3.

I still want Marcus McNeil.  But Thomas is better.  He is the choice at this moment.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 13, 2006, 09:09:08 AM

Did Joe Thomas work with Buenning while Buenning was at Wisconsin or was Thomas injured at the time?   Perhaps there is some comraderie there...Just a thought.

You must be accountable for your actions!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 13, 2006, 09:53:13 AM

Thomas is the guy I'd want at number one.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 13, 2006, 09:54:56 AM

The odds of you re-injuring the same ACL are slim. What you are concerned about is the loss of mobility as a result of the surgery. That was the issue that got Eric Winston last year -  he came back and wasn't the same for the whole season. Thomas, OTOH, has been the player he was before the injury so that concern should be fairly minimal.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 13, 2006, 09:58:43 AM

Dal I completely agree. What are your thoughts on Detroit and Joe Thomas, yea or nea? I dont' know, I could see Marinelli taking Adams because he is a defensive guy and wants to build up that DL, but they neet OT as well. What is your take?

Baghead #2

Shag

Pro Bowler

#11 : December 13, 2006, 10:04:48 AM

My main concern is his long term durability. I don't like medical issues of any kind, when drafting a player in the top 3.  

That's what I think of him too.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 13, 2006, 10:17:18 AM

being a badger fan and living in wisconsin, you all need to know that Joe Thomas is the real deal, a bonafied stud and future nfl pro bowl player.

the guy is a MONSTER!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 13, 2006, 10:27:38 AM

Dal I completely agree. What are your thoughts on Detroit and Joe Thomas, yea or nea? I dont' know, I could see Marinelli taking Adams because he is a defensive guy and wants to build up that DL, but they neet OT as well. What is your take?

They just hung a big sack of coin on Backus. Taking Thomas would be almost as bad as drafting a WR in that sense. They have to be looking QB or DL at this point. If we read Lions boards I would have to think they are praying that OAK somehow wins another game so they can nab Quinn.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 13, 2006, 10:33:26 AM

They did didn't they! I thought they did but I wasn't sure.

Yep, just checked it out on NFLPA, he is signed through 2011. I agree, that would be lunacy, taking in to the fact they desperately need DL and QB. Just curious, thanks for the resonse.

Baghead #2
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Better know a prospect: Joe Thomas edition « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools