Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Better know a prospect: Joe Thomas edition « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #15 : December 13, 2006, 10:37:59 AM »

Dal I completely agree. What are your thoughts on Detroit and Joe Thomas, yea or nea? I dont' know, I could see Marinelli taking Adams because he is a defensive guy and wants to build up that DL, but they neet OT as well. What is your take?

They just hung a big sack of coin on Backus. Taking Thomas would be almost as bad as drafting a WR in that sense. They have to be looking QB or DL at this point. If we read Lions boards I would have to think they are praying that OAK somehow wins another game so they can nab Quinn.

Also add to that Kevin Jones going down with a MAJOR foot injury that could cause him to miss most if not all of the 2007 season. The Lions are also in the hunt for a starting RB, probably in the second round. I think they draft a Qb in the first and a RB in the second, Quinn and Irons respectively.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #16 : December 13, 2006, 10:38:37 AM »

SO having established that it would require lunacy on the part of the Lions and Millen what do you think?  LOL

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #17 : December 13, 2006, 11:01:26 AM »

Dal I completely agree. What are your thoughts on Detroit and Joe Thomas, yea or nea? I dont' know, I could see Marinelli taking Adams because he is a defensive guy and wants to build up that DL, but they neet OT as well. What is your take?

They just hung a big sack of coin on Backus. Taking Thomas would be almost as bad as drafting a WR in that sense. They have to be looking QB or DL at this point. If we read Lions boards I would have to think they are praying that OAK somehow wins another game so they can nab Quinn.

Also add to that Kevin Jones going down with a MAJOR foot injury that could cause him to miss most if not all of the 2007 season. The Lions are also in the hunt for a starting RB, probably in the second round. I think they draft a Qb in the first and a RB in the second, Quinn and Irons respectively.

Good point right there!!

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #18 : December 13, 2006, 11:02:10 AM »

SO having established that it would require lunacy on the part of the Lions and Millen what do you think?  LOL

HAHA, another great point!!! They go Thomas!!!

Baghead #2

bluetick

Practice Squad

« #19 : December 13, 2006, 11:19:37 AM »

I would be more worried about Oakland taking Thomas with Gallery looking more like a bust. I think Thomas is a can't miss or pass on pick, the only other pick would be Calvin Johnson in the top 3. Which is another player that will be looked at by Oakland. Anyways, the left side will most likely be addressed, so Thomas would be a great pick.

http://condraft.com/database/big-10/wisconsin/joe-thomas/index.html

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007otprofiles.html

Joe Thomas, Wisconsin... 6-8, 306, 4.95, SR… Appeared to be on his way to a likely top 5-10 selection at the 2006 draft, but returned to school after tearing an ACL in the Badgers’ bowl game while filling on the defensive line. Good athlete who has played TE and DT at Wisconsin; in fact hurt his knee filling in on the depleted Badgers’ defensive front last January; Thomas was also a national level discus and javelin thrower. Thomas is a prototype LT prospect with long arms and very athletic feet; text book pass blocker who plays with a wide base, gets great arm extension and easily slides around the pocket; very agile for a player that size with good change of direction; not a dominating run blocker but is more of a seal-off blocker; has a decent first step off the snap although he will come off the snap too high on occasion; gets good angles; has good strong upper body strength and locks onto defender until the whistle. Former TE who runs well and can get out into space but lacks the agility to always hit a moving target in space. Character player who is a good student, Thomas has top 5 potential for the 2006 draft if the knee checks out.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/joethomas.html

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #20 : December 13, 2006, 12:41:17 PM »

Well, I am not against drafting Joe Thomas. I am also not against drafting Calvin Johnson. I would prefer to have a good LT but Calvin Johnson as a stud WR.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #21 : December 13, 2006, 12:46:53 PM »

Well I guess the key thing is to stay in that top 3. If we do that then we will be gauranteed to get Thomas, Adams, Johnson or Quinn. I have Thomas as our #1 target, slightly over Adams

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #22 : December 13, 2006, 01:32:24 PM »

Well I guess the key thing is to stay in that top 3. If we do that then we will be gauranteed to get Thomas, Adams, Johnson or Quinn. I have Thomas as our #1 target, slightly over Adams

Yeah, you hate to ever root for a loss but the upside of not winning is gonna be pretty high because 3 is very good, 7 could be a lot less good.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

« #23 : December 13, 2006, 01:36:42 PM »

Yeah, if we get a top 3 pick, its a win-win. Quinn, Thomas, or Johnson. After that there's a sizeable drop-off.

« #24 : December 13, 2006, 01:34:53 PM »

The odds of you re-injuring the same ACL are slim. What you are concerned about is the loss of mobility as a result of the surgery.

Respectfully, where did you hear this?  I've torn my ACL and meniscus, had three surgeries, one a complete reconstruction, and what I was told was that it would be strong, but not bionic.  Granted, they took part of my patella instead of something from a cadaver, but either way the body has to rebuild blood vessels to the new ligament AND you are subject to premature arthritis.  If Thomas had meniscal damage, I would be careful because it is the meniscus that provides the lateral stability with the quad and rebuilt ACL, like a three-legged stool.  I think the potential to re-tear is reliant on the collateral damage the rest of his knee suffered.

That being said, I'm not opposed to taking Thomas either, what is the difference between taking him with an injury he has bounced back from, and signing a free agent who has had the same injury and has recovered?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #25 : December 13, 2006, 01:39:10 PM »

Yeah, you hate to ever root for a loss but the upside of not winning is gonna be pretty high because 3 is very good, 7 could be a lot less good.

Yeah I know what you mean! Another win could be catastrophic with our strength of schedule. I was looking at it early and there are a few/several teams with 4 wins so we would almost certainly slide down several spots with another win. Hopefully we win out and so does everyone else in contention with us for a top 3 pick!

Baghead #2

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

« #26 : December 13, 2006, 01:49:47 PM »

not a dominating run blocker but is more of a seal-off blocker; has a decent first step off the snap although he will come off the snap too high on occasion;

I thought priority #1 was to improve the run game?  Davis is a good run blocker so how big of an upgrade is this for a "franchise LT"? 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #27 : December 13, 2006, 01:59:23 PM »

I thought priority #1 was to improve the run game?  Davis is a good run blocker so how big of an upgrade is this for a "franchise LT"? 

Davis isn't a good run blocker, we're 25 or worse running to his side this year. He's not been good at it. Davis last year was big and foot slow and could not pass block. He lost weight, he's better at pass blocking but now can't clear for the run. Whihc player do you want?

I've seen Thomas a bunch and sealing isn't a bad thing. He washes guys out. Does he just push them straight back off the line? No.  Does he get them out of the hole and prevent them from getting into the hole, yes. He has greta body position and he keeps guys from making tackles. His tehcnique is good enough that once he seals guys off he'll push them from there.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #28 : December 13, 2006, 02:16:01 PM »

Running and or passing behind Joe Thomas and Dan Beunning would be night and day on the left side of the line compared to Davis and Beunning. I have seen Joe Thomas numerous times and I'm telling you I have seen him root out a DE damn near the sideline, he can run block. Does he do 48 reps and throw people all over the place, no, he's human. He is a great left tackle prospect and many agree that he is better than D'Brickashaw. Joe Thomas is a 98 grade out of 100 this year, its for a reason.

Watch his bowl game here in a few weeks, make dag on sure not to miss that!

Baghead #2

bluetick

Practice Squad

« #29 : December 13, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »

Watch his bowl game here in a few weeks, make dag on sure not to miss that!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/preview?gid=200701010036

Get the Tivo ready, Jan 1st 1:00pm

Another read on him

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/joe_thomas.html

http://www.uwbadgers.com/news_stories/story/joe72.aspx/

Some video on Thomas

http://www.uwbadgers.com/audio_video/stream/?id=405

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Better know a prospect: Joe Thomas edition « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools