Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone think Merling can become our UT? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

zed

Pro Bowler

: March 14, 2008, 11:29:07 PM

Strengths:
Terrific size and bulk with long arms...Great quickness...Has a non-stop motor...Is very strong and powerful...Plays with a nasty demeanor...Excellent range and he is relentless in pursuit...Natural pass rusher with a variety of moves...Can take on multiple blockers and shed the double team...Does a nice job versus the run...Has good instincts & awareness...Reliable tackler...Solid technician...Does a nice job in space...Extremely versatile...Can play a number of positions in different schemes.

Weaknesses:
May lack elite athleticism...Won't scare anyone off the edge...Does not have great timed speed and isn't real explosive...Might be a bit of a 'tweener...He can be too aggressive at times...Will get pushed back...Needs to work on his hand use...Has to work on keeping his shoulders square...Intelligence could be an issue with him.

Notes:
Uncle Chris Rumph was his position coach at Clemson...He prepped at Fork Union Military Academy...Has experience at both defensive end and defensive tackle...He can project to end or tackle in a 43 defense or end in a 34 scheme...Very different player from Gaines Adams but is a better all-around player...Not real flashy but is a very good prospect who will be in high demand...Awfully similar to Trevor Pryce.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 14, 2008, 11:30:21 PM

He would have to gain alot of weight, his height at 6'4-6'5 does not make for a player that will be able to get low and win alot of battles

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 14, 2008, 11:32:21 PM

It says he can work double teams, and then says he gets pushed back...?  These +/- things are so damn contradictory sometimes.

The thing that rings out for me is they say he is a dummy.  Now how smart do you have to be to play defensive line?  If he can't bag that gig without breaking a sweat, the guy must have more rocks in his bag than most...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 14, 2008, 11:43:36 PM

He's a guy that can man LDE and shift inside on passing downs

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 14, 2008, 11:47:14 PM

No. Position changes are supposed to go the other way from big to small - college defensive tackles become NFL defensive ends, college defensive ends become NFL outside linebackers, and college offensive tackles become NFL guards. Why would you make a 1st round pick gain 20 lbs.? His body needs to be finished. Let's get a real defensive tackle.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#5 : March 14, 2008, 11:53:22 PM

no. but Trevor Laws can.

zed

Pro Bowler

#6 : March 14, 2008, 11:53:58 PM

No. Position changes are supposed to go the other way from big to small - college defensive tackles become NFL defensive ends, college defensive ends become NFL outside linebackers, and college offensive tackles become NFL guards. Why would you make a 1st round pick gain 20 lbs.? His body needs to be finished. Let's get a real defensive tackle.
I think that depends.  For example, Cato June was a safety and now, he's a linebacker.  As far as the defensive line goes, there are several DEs who project to DT in the pros depending on the defensive scheme, especially if he was a 34 DE, he could possibly become a good 43 DT.  I won't pretend I'm an expert on this, and I don't know if there is anyone in the NFL now who has successfully made that switch, but I've noticed in several draft sites, that a lot of DEs can also project to DT.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#7 : March 14, 2008, 11:56:03 PM

look no further than your own backyard ... good ole jovee haye was a DE who is now a DT.

noopy2237

Starter
#8 : March 15, 2008, 12:02:21 AM

Nice call Shot.

zed

Pro Bowler

#9 : March 15, 2008, 12:12:09 AM

I got this from an Arizona Cardinal fan website, discussing Jovan Haye, who was indeed a DE in college.

Jovan Haye DE Vanderbilt: An underrated, potential future star as a pass rusher
Mark my words, this kid will be something special...6'3 280 and runs a 4.78 40...He did not play football til' his Junior year in High School...I kind of doubt he will be available in the 3rd round (I am crossing my fingers)

He is very smart, see GPA, fast, super dedicated in the the gym, is a team leader and is said to be have high character and is a team capitan.

He had a monster sophomore year at Vandy, but his production fell of this year. He is only a junior, and is probably a little raw still, but I think DG should really roll the dice on this guy and have him line up on the left side opposite B. Berry.

I am really pimping this guy and I will pray that we draft him.

Below is from a review I have read on him:

Positives about Haye ... He's not only one of the faster defensive linemen in the SEC, he's also gotten big enough to be the equivalent of another tackle at times when it comes to the run. A 240-pound linebacker coming out of high school, he's added almost forty pounds without losing much of his quickness. After a good freshman year, Haye became a consistent player against the run not only holding at the point of attack when things came his way, but also making plays chasing down ball-carriers.

Negatives about Haye ... While a talented pass rusher, he tends to be a bit streaky. That's the nature of the position as big plays tend to come in bunches, but he got all of his sacks in only four games. He was strong at consistently getting into the backfield, and now he has to develop a better closer's mentality in order to be more disruptive. Does he have that other level to get to that makes the good pass rusher an elite one? That remains to be seen.

A cool thing about Haye that you probably didn't know ... He graduated high school with a 4.5 GPA and was a member of the National Honor Society. ... His parents didn't allow him to play football until his junior year in high school.

Official Bio from Vandy:

Jovan Haye

6-3, 280

DE

2L-Jr.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Dillard H.S.

Action Photos 2004 Prospects
A candidate for the Hendricks and Nagurski awards, Haye also received preseason All-American recognition from Athlon’s and consensus All-SEC consideration. Haye is arguably the Commodores’ most talented player - and still has great upside. A physical speciman, Haye has added weight and strength since the 2003 season without losing the speed necessary to pass rush off the edge. A defensive leader and two-year captain, Haye is a legitimate All-American candidate. Coming off another outstanding spring practice, Haye is preparing for just his fifth year of organized football.

Team defensive captain... Second Team All-SEC selection from coaches... Named team’s Defensive Line MVP... Started all 12 games at DE for Commodores... Team’s Defensive Player of the Week after TCU and Kentucky games... Ended regular season as SEC co-leader with 8.5 sacks, most by Commodore since 1994... Also was tied for seventh in conference with 12.5 tackles for loss... Ended season with defensive line leader in unassisted tackles (45), total tackles (76), forced fumbles (3), defensed passes (3) and quarterback hurries (10) in addition to sack and tackles for loss totals... Recorded two or more sacks in three games... Posted three sacks, 4.5 tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and interception at TCU... Also had a pair of QB sacks versus Georgia and 2.5 sacks in win over Kentucky... Single-game career high of 10 tackles came against Auburn and Kentucky.

Started 11 of 12 games at DE opposite senior Chuck Losey... Played through ankle injury during only missed start at Georgia... Ended season with 25 tackles, one sack, three quarterback hurries and a forced fumble... Season-high of five tackles came at Kentucky... Managed three tackles and a sack versus MTSU... Also had four tackles at Ole Miss... Limited much of second half of season with foot ailment.

Redshirted.

High School
Started at OG as junior and senior, earning first team All-State and first team All-Broward County selections... Played in the Dade-Broward All-Star game... Team finished 13-2 and was 6A state runner up... Threw shot put and discus, and lettered in basketball... GPA of 4.5... Member of National Honor Society. Academics
Haye is working toward a degree in Human and Organizational Development. Personal
Son of Michael and Jacquelyn Haye... Born June 21, 1982 in Jamaica... “Jungle”... Youngest brother, Michael, is a top junior in football and basketball standout at Dillard HS... Family moved to U.S. when Jovan was six... Prep teammate of ‘Dore OL Nigel Seaman... Parents didn’t allow Haye to play football until junior year of high school... Enjoys video games, swimming and basketball.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#10 : March 15, 2008, 12:17:49 AM

Nice call Shot.

thanks. :)

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 15, 2008, 12:19:59 AM

Absolutely true, Haye was a DE in college.  He was a DE until we got him and we made him an UT.  That was just last year and this year was his first year as a starter at that position and only his second year as a DT.  That is why I don't think everyone realizes how much upside Haye has.  He had 6 sacks this year and 4 fumble recoveries.  Our Super Bowl year, Sapp, in my opinion the best UT in the last 10 years at least, had 7.5.  Course he was ALWAYS in the offensive backfield.

And I agree, Trevor Laws is the MAN and would be a GREAT UT in our defense.

I also CANNOT agree with anyone who says Merling will be a better all-around DE than Adams.  Adams is already a pretty good run defender, better than Simeon EVER got, and a good pass rusher who will become an outstanding one.  I look for 10 sacks from him this year.

.....just my opinion

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 15, 2008, 12:25:59 AM

Oh, and Greg Peterson who was in the rotation early in the season last year until Ryan Sims took his snaps was also a DE in college that was moved to UT last year after we drafted him.

Personally, I believe Peterson can be a good UT OR a good DE.

.....just my opinion

zed

Pro Bowler

#13 : March 15, 2008, 12:35:50 AM

no. but Trevor Laws can.
I like Laws as well, but first round is kind of too early for him.  Then again, he would be gone by the second, I'm pretty sure.  The one thing I like about both he and Merling is their motor.  They both have non-stop motors.  Those are the kind of players we need.  Not players who quit on their teams (Pat Sims) or are inconsistent ( Balmer).  The way I see it, Merling and Laws can both play DE and DT for us.

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

#14 : March 15, 2008, 12:39:20 AM

NFL | Merling undergoes surgery
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:05:41 -0700

Rob Rang, of CBSSports.com, reports University of Clemson DL Phillip Merling (groin) recently underwent surgery to repair a sports hernia and will not be working out at his school's Pro Day Friday, March 14. Merling hopes to be recovered in time to work out for NFL scouts before the 2008 NFL Draft.

from kffl.com

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Does anyone think Merling can become our UT? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools