Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DEAR Santa: Calvin Johnson « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #75 : December 07, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »

IMO Quentin Moses is a better all around DE than Adams...so why would you draft a DE at #1-#3 that isnt as good as the guy you would get at #6-#15?

Ok here is a list of guys that should be available in the second round

1) Lamar Woodley- Speed rusher off the end
2) Victor Abiamiri- Almost set the Notre Dame sack record
3) Ray Macdonald/Jarvis Moss/ Derrick Harvey- A part of the one of the best D-Line in college football

Now your turn...can you name me a WR in this draft that is a all conference 6'4 Wide Reciever that runs a 4.4 40?

Yeah, Moses sure is a better all around DE. I mean, how can you question the performance of a guy who's MAILED IT IN THIS SEASON?! He's got even less bulk than Adams, so what would make you think he's a better run stuffer? I've seen him get pushed backwards many a time. And he hasn't been a huge threat rushing the passer since 05, so what makes you think he's better than a guy whos been among the best in rushign the passer this season?

The point is, just stating a guy doesn't mean he's better. Dewayne Bowe, Limas Sweed, Sidney Rice. They've been good and have accolades, so they must be better than CJ because I'm against drafting him. God, that is easy. I should try arguments like this more often.

Everyone knows Adams is the #1 DE in the draft and most think he'll be the first defender off the board. But apparently, he hasn't done enough to make people think that he's better than Abiamiri?! Come on, I like Abiamiri, but who do you think HONESTLY is better?

Huey Freeman

Starter
« #76 : December 07, 2006, 08:27:59 PM »

If you think that Calvin Johnson is a Chad Johnson type WR, I think you have to take him over a defensive player unless that defensive player is ranked equal to or higher than Johnson.  Regardless of need, would you rather have Chad Johnson (minus the personality flaws) or Justin Smith.  Johnson is the superstar. 

I'm a little bit afraid of big WRs that can run.  Teams seem to get burned a lot by taking them high.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #77 : December 07, 2006, 08:30:25 PM »

At some point the team is gonna have an o line.  I for one think they need to pick up a vet FA center, and another vet OT.  Then one more OT to back up.

On the d the problem is and has been the line.  Gaines Adams is a good choice, but I see the issue as the DT positions.  Having Hovan is okay, can I please have someone that is dominant.  Get that and Simeon looks better, as do the LBs and DBs.  It is all line play.  So in the draft we need a DT, a FA DT and then a DE in the draft OR FA.  

Getting a vet fa center will help the kids on the oline, getting solid and produce pressure and that solves a lot on defense.  This team is not without talent, they are without adequate offensive and defensive line performance, experience and talent.  4 right choices and the team is better, with six right choices they could be good.

Finally, need to get NFL average performance out of the QB position.  Not into the debate over Simms Vs Grads Vs the next great FA qb.  Would offer measuring a qb that does not have an oline is pointless.  Same with all the comments about how old or bad our LBs and DBs are.  No Dline pressure in Cover 2, pointless measurement.  It tells us nothing.

PS I would love to have Gaines Adams or Calvin Johnson - but until line issues are resolved Johnson has to be considered a wrong choice.   JMHO.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

4bucs

Hall of Famer

« #78 : December 08, 2006, 01:28:09 AM »

not a thin g wrong with going for offense with the the 1st picks as long as we scored big time in FA  with all our holes on defense.I think a few wrs that can catch and a LT  that can b lock can change the whole face of our offense.Pick up some studs for DE ,DT,LB,CB AND S through FA and adrfess the OFFENSE IN THE draft or vica versa whiuch ever works.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #79 : December 08, 2006, 10:14:40 AM »

Okay. Someone please tell me how fixing up the defense is going to make this offense any better? Our offense stinks. Period.

If the other team can't score...they can't win.  Unfortuantly this team has serious problems on both sides.  There is no quick fix.  The Bucs will not be competitive next year so draft the best available player(even if its offense) or trade down for more picks.  If Gruden survives this season I don't see him surviving next year.  I think it is a forgone conclusion he is history.  Maybe cleaning house this offseason is for the best in the long run.

quezilla

Hall of Famer
« #80 : December 08, 2006, 10:28:04 AM »

GBN had us grabbing him @ 4 in their new mock.

« #81 : December 08, 2006, 11:29:54 AM »

IMO Quentin Moses is a better all around DE than Adams...so why would you draft a DE at #1-#3 that isnt as good as the guy you would get at #6-#15?

Ok here is a list of guys that should be available in the second round

1) Lamar Woodley- Speed rusher off the end
2) Victor Abiamiri- Almost set the Notre Dame sack record
3) Ray Macdonald/Jarvis Moss/ Derrick Harvey- A part of the one of the best D-Line in college football

Now your turn...can you name me a WR in this draft that is a all conference 6'4 Wide Reciever that runs a 4.4 40?

Yeah, Moses sure is a better all around DE. I mean, how can you question the performance of a guy who's MAILED IT IN THIS SEASON?! He's got even less bulk than Adams, so what would make you think he's a better run stuffer? I've seen him get pushed backwards many a time. And he hasn't been a huge threat rushing the passer since 05, so what makes you think he's better than a guy whos been among the best in rushign the passer this season?

The point is, just stating a guy doesn't mean he's better. Dewayne Bowe, Limas Sweed, Sidney Rice. They've been good and have accolades, so they must be better than CJ because I'm against drafting him. God, that is easy. I should try arguments like this more often.

Everyone knows Adams is the #1 DE in the draft and most think he'll be the first defender off the board. But apparently, he hasn't done enough to make people think that he's better than Abiamiri?! Come on, I like Abiamiri, but who do you think HONESTLY is better?

Read what I wrote...did I say that Jarvis Moss/Victor Abiamiri was better than Gaines Adams?
I said I think QUENTIN MOSES is the best DE in the draft. I put Adams below Moses right in front of Woodley (Butkis award winner)

Dewayne Bowe, Limas Sweed, Sidney Rice...Are they all conference 6'4+  4.4/40 recievers? Havent done the research on them so I dont know but I will check.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #82 : December 08, 2006, 12:47:13 PM »

Moses is not even the best DE on his own team.   :P

« #83 : December 08, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »

Moses is not even the best DE on his own team. :P

Quentin Moses DE 6'5 257 Georgia
By: Robert Davis

Quentin Moses toyed with the idea of being a two sport athlete originally. After spending time with the basketball team as a freshman, he realized his future was on the gridiron. As a redshirt freshman in 2003, Moses racked up 37 tackles, 4.5 for loss, and 2.5 sacks, earning All SEC Freshman honors. He became more of a playmaker as a sophomore, going for 7.5 tackles for loss, and 6.5 sacks, to go along with 23 tackles. As many players do, Moses broke out as a junior. He posted career highs with 44 tackles, 20.5 for loss, and 11.5 sacks.

Pound for pound, Moses is one of the elite athletes in the draft. He has fantastic agility, quickness, and speed on the football field. He has the athletic talent to be a true standout off the edge in the NFL. He is not just an athlete though. He has a great burst off the snap, and once he gets a step on the tackle, is in the backfield to bring down the ball carrier. Moses shows the ability to get after the passer, but has the awareness to see the run play and get to the back.

As with most ‘tweeners,’ Moses lacks the bulk to be effective in running situations. He can be driven off the ball because of his long and lanky frame. He will need to bulk up to be more of an all around threat, and to be on the field as much as possible.

Quentin Moses will go head to head with Gaines Adams all year long as the top defensive end in the draft. Both bring big play ability to the table, and it’s going to be a battle all through the season and post season workouts.

Quentin Moses

Moses was second in the SEC in 2005 with 11.5 sacks and 20.5 TFLs and is currently sixth on Georgia's list of career sacks with 20.5. He has also recently been named to several pre-season All-SEC teams, and was named the nation's No. 1 defensive end by The Sporting News.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #84 : December 08, 2006, 01:42:43 PM »

Moses has 3 sacks this year, 2 vs Miss State, and 20 tackles. Those are both off his torrid junior pace. What happened to this guy?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #85 : December 08, 2006, 01:43:13 PM »

Again I do not care what he did in 2005.  What did he do this year? :o

« #86 : December 08, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »

He played soft so he wouldn't get injured so he wouldn't kill his draft stock, which he ended up doing anyways.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #87 : December 08, 2006, 03:35:38 PM »

He played soft so he wouldn't get injured so he wouldn't kill his draft stock, which he ended up doing anyways.

Dude dropped 11 sacks in the SEC. Why the heck didn't he come out? I mean he's got the measurables, he's got the production, he had to be R1 rated last year. Makes me wonder about the boys overall smarts even at a position with a pretty low IQ requirement.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #88 : December 08, 2006, 10:45:01 PM »

Moses has 3 sacks this year, 2 vs Miss State, and 20 tackles. Those are both off his torrid junior pace. What happened to this guy?

THANK YOU Dal, I've been trying to get Moses' stats for this season for the past half an hour, but every time I go to Georgia's athletic site, my computer craps out for some reason. I knew he had bad sack #s, but thats even worse than I was expecting.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #89 : December 08, 2006, 10:56:28 PM »

Read what I wrote...did I say that Jarvis Moss/Victor Abiamiri was better than Gaines Adams?
I said I think QUENTIN MOSES is the best DE in the draft. I put Adams below Moses right in front of Woodley (Butkis award winner)

Dewayne Bowe, Limas Sweed, Sidney Rice...Are they all conference 6'4+  4.4/40 recievers? Havent done the research on them so I dont know but I will check.

I did read what you wrote, so don't even start with that BS. YOU said that there were guys that would be just as good in rounds 2 and 3. I asked who, your next response had 2nd-3rd round guys. My point was Adams had seperated himself from those guys and IMO will be better than them. I know YOU SAID Moses was the best DE in the draft, which is why I dedicated my whole first paragraph of that post to why he ISN'T. Who's the one not paying attention man? [banghead]

As for Rice, Sweed, Bowe: Rice is 6'4 and will run in the 4.4 range. Bowe and Sweed are 6'3 and 6'5 respectively and are a step slower. All of them are either all conference or will be right there with the best as all have had solid years. Both Rice and I think Sweed are juniors like Johnson. I believe Bowe is a senior.
  Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: DEAR Santa: Calvin Johnson « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools