Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: All the players hate Gruden, you dont know what I know! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 11 12 13

Runole

Hall of Famer
#180 : March 23, 2008, 10:53:30 AM

My take..   

1. The Glazers hired Jon Gruden because they believed that the opportunity to win a Super Bowl wouldn't happen with Dungy  and Mckay ( who seemed content with just contending and were far too loyal to players that weren't producing) That last part of course probably wasn't known by the Glazers but certainly they felt it was time for a change.

2.  At the time I felt personally the Bucs had missed their opportunity and as Warren Sapp stated "SUPER BOWL OR BUST", there was indeed a lot of accuracy in that statement.  The team had reached its Peak and was on the border of disarray when Gruden came on board.  The Super Bowl  victory was a total surprise to me. Absolutely unbelievable from the time Gruden was hired until about the last quarter of the season when the Bucs looked playoff bound. I actually didn't believe the Bucs had a chance until the Philly victory.   Even then Oakland was the big favorite.  Well the Bucs won and Gruden accomplished something truly special considering the handicaps he operated under. ( No one on the entire coaching staff had worked with Gruden).

3. The following year like everyone else I felt the Bucs were geared for a repeat except there had been a real problem with ( MESHAWN ) the year before and the Bucs won despite his selfish antics.

4. When the Bucs fell short, it was obvious that the team was indeed on the way down when it won the Super Bowl and was in need of rebuilding.

5. This became extremely obvious with the lack of premium draft choices and no money.  The Bucs were on a "beer barrel budget" and unfortunately their attempts to rectify the situation with over the hill  free agents didn't work.

6. Despite this Gruden and company ( players and coaches) have managed a couple of Division championships during this rebuilding time.

7. This season is the first that the Bucs truly have all the cap space to be on a par with everyone else.

8. The rebuilding continues and most encouraging to me has been the completely revamped OL.  ( that is where dominance begins IMO). The defense also picked up some real gems last season through free agency and Draft.  This year they will have to prove they weren't just flash in the pan. The dreaded sophomore slump could happen.

As to the organization I couldn't be more pleased as they seem most proactive towards improvement every year.  Competition is the key and unfortunately many fans and the media don't care for the unpleasantness of the release of fan favorites.

That is the source of the dislike of Gruden.   Unfortunately for  "continued success" parts must be replaced every year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course the myths continue.

Gruden only likes worn out veterans.  Not true.

Gruden plays favorites.  Not true

Gruden is hated by the players.   absolutely ridiculous..   Of course any player cut is usually going to take it badly.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#181 : March 23, 2008, 12:07:37 PM

well said.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#182 : March 23, 2008, 09:15:15 PM

Thanks

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#183 : March 24, 2008, 03:19:20 PM

You have missed the point !!! Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes... We mature as people and as coaches. I don't care if the coach is Vince Lombardi. He to would make the wrong decision every now and then if he were still alive and coaching.
I see improvement with gruden. Especially in the way he deals with players. His people skills have improved dramatically.
However whenever anyone calls him on something. Then all you koolaide drinkers start your name calling ( your a gruden basher, or your a duemig clone ) I guess I will never get it...

#184 : March 24, 2008, 04:13:52 PM

Lombardi did nothing in Washington because he did not have Starr, Taylor, Hotrnung, Nitschke, Dowler, McGree, etc etc etc.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#185 : March 24, 2008, 04:18:03 PM

Lombardi did nothing in Washington because he did not have Starr, Taylor, Hotrnung, Nitschke, Dowler, McGree, etc etc etc.

nothing except guide them to their first winning season in 14 years?  and does that have any significance to gruden?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#186 : March 24, 2008, 05:44:20 PM

nothing except guide them to their first winning season in 14 years? and does that have any significance to gruden?

We will never know what might have been in Washington for Lombardi because of his premature death.

Page: 1 ... 11 12 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: All the players hate Gruden, you dont know what I know! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools