Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed runs a 4.40 forty at Texas pro day « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« : March 20, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »

I'm a Vandy grad, and if Earl Bennett is taken first out of all the WRs, I'll stop posting on this board for the rest of my life. Dark horse my ---.

I like Bennett, but I doubt he goes earlier than mid-round 2.

I view him at best a 2nd rounder as well but there are rumblings out there he may be rising with one month left to go.  Never say never when it comes to the draft....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20080319_Birds_have_eyes_on_Vanderbilt_receiver.html

Birds have eyes on Vanderbilt receiver

When the NFL draft commences at the end of next month, remember the name Earl Bennett.

He is a wide receiver from Vanderbilt who is projected to be taken in the second round, and the Eagles are interested enough in him that, according to a league source, they have asked for a personal workout today.

Bennett, 6 feet and 209 pounds, was a three-time all-Southeastern Conference selection and decided to enter the draft after his junior season at Vanderbilt. He led the Commodores in receiving during each of his three seasons, including his freshman year, when Denver's Jay Cutler was his quarterback.

Bennett, who ran a 4.48-second 40-yard dash at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, caught 75 passes for 830 yards and five touchdowns last season. His 236 career receptions are an SEC record.

Vanderbilt's pro workout day is scheduled for Friday on the Nashville campus.

If the Eagles want Bennett, they may have to either take him in the first round or move up in the second because Cutler's Broncos are also interested. Denver's second-round selection, the 42d overall pick, is seven spots ahead of the Eagles' second-round pick.

- Bob Brookover

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 19, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »

Just an FYI:

Reports say that Limas Sweed laid down a 4.40 forty time at the Longhorns pro day today in Austin. His former teammate, cornerback Brandon Foster, ran a 4.28.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/03/19/former_players.html

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #2 : March 19, 2008, 05:29:33 PM »

While Sweed has the size and speed Gruden covets in his offense, if the team gives him a passing grade on his medical check, I can see him being the teams first round selection

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #3 : March 19, 2008, 05:33:24 PM »

If we go WR in the 1st he is probably the safest pick.  Nice combo of size/speed.  And is an anti-prima donna.  There are other guys I want before him but I could live with it.

« #4 : March 19, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »

He'll probably be an eagle

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 19, 2008, 05:37:09 PM »

I prefer DL, but could live with drafting him in the first. As long as we target a big DT in the 2nd.

dm4bucs

Starter
« #6 : March 19, 2008, 05:38:04 PM »

I agree i think he will go right before we pick to the eagles.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 19, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »

That is an AMAZING 40 time for a guy that has the size of Sweed. If he didn't get hurt in 2007 this guy would possibly all over the top 10 in this draft.

Baghead #2

goobtube

Starter

« #8 : March 19, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »

Texas WR Limas Sweed ran forty times of 4.50 and 4.51 at his Pro Day.

They're similar to the times he ran last month. Sweed also posted a 37.5" vertical, a 10'8 foot long jump, and a 4.33 in the 20-yard shuttle.
Source: nfl.com

I guess depends on who timed him. It's funny how some of these guys dropped a big stinker at the combine and all of the sudden are so much quicker 2 weeks later.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

« #9 : March 19, 2008, 06:58:10 PM »

That is an AMAZING 40 time for a guy that has the size of Sweed. If he didn't get hurt in 2007 this guy would possibly all over the top 10 in this draft.

i'm skeptical.  this guy was in the 4.5s at the combine.   i still say he no different from the stable of big possesion guys we already have on the roster.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #10 : March 19, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

Does anyone know how h tested with the splits and shuttles at the Combine?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #11 : March 19, 2008, 07:32:25 PM »

I concur with RPC.

Say no to WR in first round.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 19, 2008, 08:45:28 PM »

i'm skeptical. this guy was in the 4.5s at the combine. i still say he no different from the stable of big possesion guys we already have on the roster.

Actually he ran a 4.48 at the combine. Still an amazing time for a guy who measures up at 6'4" 215 lbs. Measurables like that and anything in the 4.5's is a good time. He also posted a 38 inch vertical which would have been a half an inch shorter than the high at the combine for WR's (Kenaan Burton).

I'm not saying we should draft Sweed and lord knows the chatter about first round WR's and all of that but I'm telling you guys right now if CB's go like crazy and they could we certainly could take a WR with that along with the fact we have put ourselves in a squeeze at the WR spot with age (Galloway and Hilliard) and inability to make plays (Clayton, Stovall and Hilliard). If an OT like Williams were to fall I would LOVE that. I think we simply have to wait and see who is on the board before anyone can say we are taking this guy or that guy. There are 19 teams ahead of us. A guy could fall to us or we could be left bare at a spot and have to go somewhere. Just saying I seriously doubt the Bucs take a CB that has a R2, R3, etc. grade for the simple fact of taking a CB when there is a guy like Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, etc. sitting there starring them in the face. If Mike Jenkins is there then I would be thrilled but I'm not counting on CB in R1, just not. There are too many teams that are in the CB market. You have New England, Baltimore, New Orleans, Buffalo, Arizona, Houston and possibly Minnesota. That is 6 teams in looking for a CB. That being said I seriously doubt all 6 go CB, but you could see 3 off the board by the time we pick.

There are some stud CB's no doubt but you cannot bank on a player being there. I'm sure we have things mapped out or are in the process of doing so. If this guy is here we take him. If this guy is not here we go with this guy. We will be fine but I would not dismiss the fact that we COULD draft a WR in the first round.

Baghead #2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #13 : March 19, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »

i'm skeptical. this guy was in the 4.5s at the combine. i still say he no different from the stable of big possesion guys we already have on the roster.
Gotta agree with ya RPC.

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

« #14 : March 19, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »

I like Sweed's attitude a lot, the whole reason he stayed his senior year was because he felt he was a big leader for the team, and wanted to be there for his teammates. If that wrist isn't a serious concern then you have to consider him a major possibility for us, and I wouldn't be sad at all.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed runs a 4.40 forty at Texas pro day « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools