Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed runs a 4.40 forty at Texas pro day « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#120 : March 21, 2008, 04:45:15 PM

I think "who the hell is Mel Kiper" is a valid question. The answer is a creation of ESPN making him an expert.
FWIW Kiper began publishing his draft guide in 1981, 3 years before ESPN hired him, and needless to say 15+ years before Rivals, Scout, and every other draft website went online. He made himself an expert.

Yep, and ESPN gave him credibility - where little to none should exist.  He has the ability to talk - to act like an insider.  And he is not #1 in this field - heck FRG you and others on this board can look at data and be as accurate.  And if you had ESPN behind you and could talk well you could replace him.  And still be wrong as frequently.  LOL  He made himself an expert... he made himself something - a figure head - (not a hair joke) - with purported expertise.  Mayock does better - along with many others.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#121 : March 21, 2008, 05:02:40 PM

Oh yeah he's slipped and other people do it better these days, but I still give him respect for being the original.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#122 : March 21, 2008, 06:16:31 PM

For the idea of making a great living that way - for certain.  But then I stop...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#123 : March 21, 2008, 11:18:39 PM

You are correct that Davin Joseph was listed as a 2nd round pick, but it is my understanding the Bucs liked him a lot, and didn't feel like he would be there when they picked in the 2nd.

And Brads, you could be right, but based on what I read Joseph was listed as the #1 guard.  I do believe a few had him as #2, but I don't remember anyone having him lower than that.

.....just my opinion

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#124 : March 22, 2008, 02:57:24 AM

Methinks you need to read again.

Not really.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#125 : March 21, 2008, 11:38:17 PM

Dan Pompei:

"There are two wild-card receivers who could be taken in the first round, or who could linger on the board for awhile.

The first is Texas' Limas Sweed. He was the consensus highest rated receiver prospect in the NCAA at the start of the season, but a wrist injury limited him to six games and 19 catches. That wrist still needs to check out before teams sign off on him. With a 4.48 40 yard dash at the Combine, Sweed could be a late riser."

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23597258/

How many statements like that are made though? I've heard Marcus Thomas being a top 10 pick before he got caught with the marijuana and kicked off the team, yet there wasn't such a discussion AT THE TIME, but only well after the fact. Remember how people talked up Colmer, how before he sat out a year he was thought to be a franchise, 1st round LT. Don't remember hearing a lick about that until the revisionists decided to write an article about the kid. DeSean Jackson and Early Doucet were both much, much higher before they both had down years and Jackson was measured and weighed. Both of them were there with Sweed, if not higher than him at the start of the season, not to mention Manningham.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#126 : March 22, 2008, 01:07:17 AM

How many statements like that are made though?

Quite a few, all you have to do is search and you'll find quite a number of them.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#127 : March 22, 2008, 03:16:39 AM

Right, if you didn't understand the first time, I shouldn't bother wasting my time.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#128 : March 22, 2008, 03:52:07 AM

Right, if you didn't understand the first time, I shouldn't bother wasting my time.

Exactly. Not bothering would be your best approach.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#129 : March 22, 2008, 08:32:38 AM

Waste my time dbtb - what in the world are you talking about.  Are you saying there is a tremendous amounts of hyberbole revised to match outcomes throughout the duration of the College Preseason right up to the draft - well yea.

Are you saying folks did not know about the issues with Thomas and Colmer when they happened and well before the draft - that would be wrong!

Are you saying you can find a Draft Guru, or College Football (Self - Proclaimed) expert under every rock near a College Stadium that will provide a new or old thought on every player in the team - well yea.  They are cheaper than a dime a dozen - heck - they change their "picks" during timeouts. 

So - what point are you making?

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#130 : March 22, 2008, 05:35:09 PM

Waste my time dbtb - what in the world are you talking about.  Are you saying there is a tremendous amounts of hyberbole revised to match outcomes throughout the duration of the College Preseason right up to the draft - well yea.

Are you saying folks did not know about the issues with Thomas and Colmer when they happened and well before the draft - that would be wrong!

Are you saying you can find a Draft Guru, or College Football (Self - Proclaimed) expert under every rock near a College Stadium that will provide a new or old thought on every player in the team - well yea.  They are cheaper than a dime a dozen - heck - they change their "picks" during timeouts. 

So - what point are you making?

That I put no stock into revisionist history in articles like the one posted. If someone says Sweed was the consensus #1, then another person says DeSean Jackson was the consensus #1, and yet another says Early Doucet, who's to be believed? Just like the hundreds of "first round picks" back in August. It just seems the stuff talked about in a past tense is usually inaccurate or overdone, and I much prefer what was being said at the point he went down. But then again, at that point, most of the people here weren't paying much attention to draft prospects.....
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed runs a 4.40 forty at Texas pro day « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools