Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed runs a 4.40 forty at Texas pro day « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 19, 2008, 11:52:31 PM

By the way, here's yet another source saying he ran 4.40 today:

http://texas.scout.com/2/739076.html

�Wow. Three hours out of a day is going to determine everything I did from when I started football in the seventh grade until now,� said Sweed. �I thought about that last night. That's why I came here focused. This is like the National Championship to me. I came in focused, went in, did what I had to do, like we did against USC and came out with a victory.�

Victory is a good way to describe Sweed's performance. He put up a solid performance in all drills, but he shined in the highest profile of them all: the 40-yard dash. He stands at 6-foot-5, but he managed to run a 4.40 in the forty, improving on the 4.48 he put up at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

Either way like you said its a very good time for Sweed.

Not saying we SHOULD draft him but he has to be figured into the situation with us picking at #20 and a lot depending on who is available and still on the board.

Baghead #2

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 20, 2008, 12:06:15 AM

bring him in i love to have sweed in a buc uniform

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 20, 2008, 12:36:04 AM

On Path to the Draft tonight, they were reporting on Sweed and interviewed him.  He said HIMSELF that he ran around a 4.48 (not a 4.4) electronically timed, and said it was about what he expected.  He also said some of the coaches there timed him in 4.4 and 4.41 HAND-TIMED.  He further said some of the coaches go by what they hand time rather than what the electonic timing is.  There is the answer to why the different stories.

By the way, I asked the question earlier whether or not he caught passes with the injured hand, and when I watched the tivod Path I saw him do it myself.  He looked great catching the ball, and the reports were that he caught everything thrown to him.  In the interview Mayock asked him how the hand was and he said it was just fine now.  He said at the Combine he only had 10% rom in it, and during one of the drills, Chevis Jackson, db from LSU grabbed his hand and bent it 90 degrees.  It hurt the wrist and he could not work out any more and went home.  He said he really has to thank Jackson because he thinks Jackson broke scar tissue loose.  He thinks that because after it quit hurting, he had full range of motion again.  He looked at the camera and said "thanks man".

From reports, all of the coaches and scouts were very impressed with his drills and his catching the ball.

.....just my opinion

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 20, 2008, 12:38:25 AM

He said at the Combine he only had 10% rom in it, and during one of the drills, Chevis Jackson, db from LSU grabbed his hand and bent it 90 degrees.

Actually, that happened at the Senior Bowl, not the combine.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 20, 2008, 01:07:44 AM

You are exactly right!  I "mis-spoke".  Actually I mistyped.  I was thinking Senior Bowl and typed Combine.  The re-injury occurred and he went home.  I even posted about him re-injuring his wrist at the Senior Bowl on another thread.

I need to go to bed!

.....just my opinion

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 20, 2008, 01:23:36 AM

Sweed just seems like a Gruden type player to me. A tall, rangy WR who has nice speed as well, is a real leader-type personality, works very hard, throws blocks downfield, and is dedicated. He loves to play football.

If available at #20, I could certainly see Coach wanting to select this guy.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 20, 2008, 02:19:46 AM

theres so many in the 2nd and 3rd rd...rather Johnson the rb who can fill 3 roles or a DT.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 20, 2008, 09:57:42 AM

Good stuff bucjoe. Yeah I think at this moment it is looking like the likely positions that could be addressed (remember pending who is available) in round one CB, WR, OT or DT. I think RB can wait a little bit barring Mendenhall miraculously falling to us. We have Graham, Dunn and Bennett for now and that is not bad. DT is a need but I don't think you draft one at #20 IMHO. Chris Williams the OT from Vandy would be a god-send if he made it to #20 but I doubt that can happen. I think the real battle for that #20 pick is going to be for CB and WR. We have something at CB, we have nothing at WR. Not saying we will take one but if Sweed is there I would not be upset one bit if he was the guy. DTG makes some great points on Sweed. Personally I think his stock will only go up after this workout and recovery from the wrist, he may be hard to get. For the WR fan you still have Devin Thomas who is really intriguing and Malcolm Kelly who if he runs a nice 40 time, low 4.5's or better could both be serious options.

I think it really depends on who is on the board with the CB's. If Mike Jenkins is there it would be tough to pass but we will just have to wait and see.

What do you guys feel about the Bucs and our pick at #20. Do you think it is a CB, WR battle for that pick or do you think they reach for a DT? What about drafting a OT or any other position? I see it primarily as a CB and WR pick. What say you?

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 20, 2008, 10:13:02 AM

It would be a massive mistake to reach for a WR in round 1.  Sweed isn't worth it contrary to what is tossed around here.

IF Sweed is as good as they say there should be a consensus amongst the majority of draft scouts/draft gurus/media/fans as being the top WR heading into this draft.

Right now lets look at how many WR's are speculated as the #1 WR in this draft class.

Limas Sweed - Obviously by this thread.....

Devon Thomas - Many feel he jumped everyone as the #1 WR in this draft.

DeSean Jackson - Some feel despite his height issue someone will draft him first becuase of the Hester factor.

James Hardy -  His 40 time is impressive for a player of his size and many feel he is a better prospect than Sweed heading into the pros.  In some people's minds may be the #1 WR in this draft class.

Malcolm Kelly - Most polished WR in this draft but has yet to run to determine his fate.  Some are still holding out hope he is the #1 WR in this draft class.

Mario Manningham - If Sweed is receiving all this love for his pro day then Mannignham is in the mix as the #1 WR in this draft class as well with a bounce back performance at his pro day.

Earl Bennett - Darkhorse #1 WR

Andre Caldwell - one of the fastest 40 times and has the prototype build for the NFL.  Also has sneaked into the discussion as the #1 WR in this draft class.

As you can see it is clear as day that there is no consenus as to who the #1 WR in this draft class is.  Reason being everyone has doubt about every one of these WR's when it comes to using a 1st round pick on or even having a 1st round grade.  Some would argue this is a result of analysis by paralysis but I would argue there is truth to how weak the top is.  The best bang for the buck for a WR is in rounds 2-3 in this draft class. 

The teams that draft a WR from this draft class in round 1, in this draft, will do so out of desperation.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#39 : March 20, 2008, 11:16:46 AM

I'm a Vandy grad, and if Earl Bennett is taken first out of all the WRs, I'll stop posting on this board for the rest of my life. Dark horse my ---.

I like Bennett, but I doubt he goes earlier than mid-round 2.

I don't think it's insane to take a WR at 20, even though I wouldn't do it (I just like the 2-4 guys in this draft). It really doesn't matter what the "consensus" is about number 1 - especially the consensus of fans and the media. The Bucs have to trust their scouts and their board.

The consensus only matters if the Bucs have idiosyncratic value about a player, that is highly contrary to consensus. For example, if the Bucs feel like Dexter Jackson is the 20th best player in the draft (I'm using an obvious later round guy), but the consensus is that he's a 3-5 round guy, then they shouldn't take him with the 20th pick. But if it's Sweed, Hardy, or someone plausibly picked in the late first round that they rate as the 20th best player on their board then it really doesn't matter what the consensus about the first WR picked is. They should take him.

People try to get too cute with this sometimes. That's why lots of scouts use tiers to describe the players instead of specific numbers.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 20, 2008, 11:18:47 AM

FRG - I like your call on Burton - he kind of fell off the radar for me this season, but I remember him well from 2006.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 20, 2008, 11:51:02 AM

IF Sweed is as good as they say there should be a consensus amongst the majority of draft scouts/draft gurus/media/fans as being the top WR heading into this draft.

Bull.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 20, 2008, 12:02:41 PM

Sweed's sort of an interesting case.  If it hadn't been for his wrist injury, it's entirely possible that he would be the consensus top WR in the draft.  Then again, maybe he wouldn't be.  That is, of course, the thing about "ifs".

For me personally, Sweed's pretty firmly in the, "I'm not hoping for him, but I also wouldn't be tempted to put my fist through my tv if the team were to draft him" category.  I can see legit arguments both ways.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 20, 2008, 12:11:58 PM

Sweed's sort of an interesting case.  If it hadn't been for his wrist injury, it's entirely possible that he would be the consensus top WR in the draft.  Then again, maybe he wouldn't be.  That is, of course, the thing about "ifs".

And also, Sweed doesn't HAVE to be the "consensus top WR in the draft" for him to be picked at #20 by the Bucs and have that be a good pick. If he WAS the "consensus top WR in the draft" then he wouldn't make it anywhere NEAR number 20 overall.

But Sweed may (and I said "may") be the best WR for the Bucs.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 20, 2008, 12:16:56 PM

And also, Sweed doesn't HAVE to be the "consensus top WR in the draft" for him to be picked at #20 by the Bucs and have that be a good pick. If he WAS the "consensus top WR in the draft" then he wouldn't make it anywhere NEAR number 20 overall.

Very, very true.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Limas Sweed runs a 4.40 forty at Texas pro day « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools