Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gators will win the National Championship « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 21, 2008, 11:36:24 PM

UF won a MNC despite playing (and losing) to Auburn in 2006.

So I don't think that matters a whole lot.

UF doesn't have Auburn but did add Miami and Arkansas, and even Hawaii. I'd say that is more than a wash.

Key for Florida will be (as Usual) the Georgia game. If they win that game they will be in very good shape.

UT on the road and LSU first.  Then UGA, which could be the game of the year. 

I wish I had more confidence in their D, which will have to play lights out v Georgia.

UT won't be a problem IMO.  New QB, and we own them.

LSU might be, but again new QB, and it's at home.  Even then a loss there wouldn't kill UF.  Beat UGA and still win the East.  That is why I say the UGA game will be the key.  Win that game, win the East and on to the SEC title game.  Win that game, and good things will happen.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 23, 2008, 09:14:14 PM

UF won a MNC despite playing (and losing) to Auburn in 2006.

So I don't think that matters a whole lot.

UF doesn't have Auburn but did add Miami and Arkansas, and even Hawaii. I'd say that is more than a wash.

Key for Florida will be (as Usual) the Georgia game. If they win that game they will be in very good shape.

UT on the road and LSU first.  Then UGA, which could be the game of the year. 

I wish I had more confidence in their D, which will have to play lights out v Georgia.
Georgia plays LSU the week before the **CENSORED**tail party. The Dawgs won't be able to tune up the way they did in 2007.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#17 : March 24, 2008, 09:22:29 AM

Georgia plays LSU the week before the **CENSORED**tail party. The Dawgs won't be able to tune up the way they did in 2007.

And that game is AT LSU.  Two tough games in a row for the Dawgs.  Might be #1 vs #2 if UF and UGA come in undefeated.

#18 : March 24, 2008, 01:13:06 PM

IT WASNT A DUNK!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 24, 2008, 08:28:39 PM

And that game is AT LSU.  Two tough games in a row for the Dawgs.  Might be #1 vs #2 if UF and UGA come in undefeated.

I would agree, but I think the OSU/USC winner will probably be undefeated as well, and would get that nod.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 24, 2008, 08:32:18 PM

I dont know much about who will be starting for Florida, but if they looked like they did the last game of the year they have work to do.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 24, 2008, 08:44:50 PM

I dont know much about who will be starting for Florida, but if they looked like they did the last game of the year they have work to do.

I think all teams have work to do at this point. 

I also don't think a win or loss in a bowl game this year is going to have much to do with a team's chances next year.

In the case of Florida, they will need to become a better defensive football team but given the fact that 90% of the defense was lost from 06 to 07 I think that was expected.  The defensive line should be much improved with John Brown taking over at UT, and guys like Trattou, Davis and other freshmen from last year ready to contribute.  The Gators had 1st year starters at 9 of 11 spots last year.  Given a full spring to practice, the new coaches in place, and talented players coming in and/or back healthy, the competition should be fierce and I think you'll see a much improved defense next year.  You aren't going to see UF playing 10-15 yards off the WR next year as you did last year and the bowl game.  As far as Offense, I don't think that's an issue.  Even the bowl you mentioned UF scored 35 points and were in that game until the end despite the poor defense. 

Whether or not that leads to a title is anyone's guess.  It takes a lot to win, especially in the SEC, and talent alone isn't enough.  It will also take luck in games and luck with injuries.  But UF was built for a run in 08 and 09.  I'd bet a fair amount that UF will win a title in at least one of those years. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 24, 2008, 08:53:38 PM

Im not saying Florida wont or cant. theres a reason there a preseason top 5 team but they gotta improve

LFO

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 24, 2008, 11:46:16 PM

Same can be said for every team in the Spring.

gatorgirl!

Starter

#24 : March 28, 2008, 09:42:36 AM

I'm a huge Gator fan...but I hope that detrimental kid never comes back to cheer on our boys. ha. Wow.

If I had money to bet, I would prob put money on a one loss season. IMO I think our only tough games are Georgia and LSU. And like FRG said, GA doesn't have a bye week before playing us this year. I think that will play to our advantage as they don't have as long to prepare or rest up to face our offense. The big key for the Gators will be watching film and praying that our defense learns to stop Moreno. That man spells trouble for the Gators D.

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons. Everyone already hates on the SEC, and nobodys a media darling so we don't have those advantages in the polls. Hawaii....joke. Miami....nice rivalry jumpstart, but joke. Citadel....BIG joke. Ole Miss...mediocre at best. Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas...good SEC teams, although not sure how they will bounce back after some players graduating/declaring, hopefully strong competitors.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 28, 2008, 11:22:25 AM

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons.

way too early for anyone to worry about SOS, especially considering this is the best OOC schedule UF has had in years.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#26 : March 28, 2008, 02:16:27 PM

I deny...

LFO

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 29, 2008, 01:59:12 AM

I'm a huge Gator fan...but I hope that detrimental kid never comes back to cheer on our boys. ha. Wow.

If I had money to bet, I would prob put money on a one loss season. IMO I think our only tough games are Georgia and LSU. And like FRG said, GA doesn't have a bye week before playing us this year. I think that will play to our advantage as they don't have as long to prepare or rest up to face our offense. The big key for the Gators will be watching film and praying that our defense learns to stop Moreno. That man spells trouble for the Gators D.

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons. Everyone already hates on the SEC, and nobodys a media darling so we don't have those advantages in the polls. Hawaii....joke. Miami....nice rivalry jumpstart, but joke. Citadel....BIG joke. Ole Miss...mediocre at best. Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas...good SEC teams, although not sure how they will bounce back after some players graduating/declaring, hopefully strong competitors.

UF will not have to worry about SOS, probably ever in the SEC.  Especially considering this is a year with Miami, regardless of how they do.  Hawaii just got out of a BCS bowl, albeit an embarrassing outcome.  UF will still have LSU, UGA, UT, FSU, UM, plus whoever wins the SECW in the SECCG if it comes down to that.  That is more than enough......Even if FSU and UM suck again, LSU, UGA figure to be top 10-15 teams, plus LSU possibly again, and no doubt a team or 2 will be ranked top 25 as well.  SOS will not be the problem for UF. 

An added bonus, given the fact that SEC teams have won the last 2 NC's (in blowout fashion to boot), I think an SEC team will be given the benefit of the doubt in all "ties" as far as records are concerned.  I'd almost say an SEC 2 loss team might get extra love over say a 1 loss OSU.....at least they should anyway.....I mean, who wants to see an overrated OSU get blown out in another NC game?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 03, 2008, 05:47:42 PM

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons. Everyone already hates on the SEC, and nobodys a media darling so we don't have those advantages in the polls.

The SEC is a media darling. Shelly Smith (works for ESPN) says everyone at ESPN drolls over the SEC. And they have a media darling in Tebow. Tebow will be the Hansbourgh of college football this year.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 04, 2008, 01:22:44 PM

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons. Everyone already hates on the SEC, and nobodys a media darling so we don't have those advantages in the polls.

The SEC is a media darling. Shelly Smith (works for ESPN) says everyone at ESPN drolls over the SEC. And they have a media darling in Tebow. Tebow will be the Hansbourgh of college football this year.

USC and ND are far greater media darlings than any team in the SEC could ever imagine. The SEC DOES get credit for being the best conference top to bottom almost annually (and rightfully so IMO), but no one can touch USC and ND as far as media is concerned.

And ask Herbstreit about ESPN drooling over the SEC. He spent most of 2006 bashing UF/SEC and praising OSU/Michigan to anyone that would listen, and then last year while he toned it down a bit still proclaimed OSU superior.

Of course, UF/LSU/SEC got the last laugh there.

well if were talking teams of course its ND they have there own network. But conference wise its the SEC. Im not saying rightfully or wrongfully so but thats how it is. To say the media hates on the SEC isnt true they love the SEC. I had this conversation with Shelly Smith, all the football honks in ESPN love the SEC. And they have the biggest media darling in Tebow.

Fan wise the sec probably is hated the most I agree on that

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gators will win the National Championship « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools