Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gators will win the National Championship « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 03, 2008, 09:58:22 PM

The SEC is a media darling. Shelly Smith (works for ESPN) says everyone at ESPN drolls over the SEC. And they have a media darling in Tebow. Tebow will be the Hansbourgh of college football this year.

If Shelly Smith says it, it must be true.  There isn't any proof that the SEC is the top conference or anything...no championships or anything.  Thanks, ESPN.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 03, 2008, 10:11:35 PM

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons. Everyone already hates on the SEC, and nobodys a media darling so we don't have those advantages in the polls.

The SEC is a media darling. Shelly Smith (works for ESPN) says everyone at ESPN drolls over the SEC. And they have a media darling in Tebow. Tebow will be the Hansbourgh of college football this year.

USC and ND are far greater media darlings than any team in the SEC could ever imagine.  The SEC DOES get credit for being the best conference top to bottom almost annually (and rightfully so IMO), but no one can touch USC and ND as far as media is concerned. 

And ask Herbstreit about ESPN drooling over the SEC.  He spent most of 2006 bashing UF/SEC and praising OSU/Michigan to anyone that would listen, and then last year while he toned it down a bit still proclaimed OSU superior. 

Of course, UF/LSU/SEC got the last laugh there.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 04, 2008, 03:01:00 PM

I'm a bit worried about our SOS this year though, it seems to be a bit weak after the last couple of seasons. Everyone already hates on the SEC, and nobodys a media darling so we don't have those advantages in the polls.

USC and ND are far greater media darlings than any team in the SEC could ever imagine. The SEC DOES get credit for being the best conference top to bottom almost annually (and rightfully so IMO), but no one can touch USC and ND as far as media is concerned.

And ask Herbstreit about ESPN drooling over the SEC. He spent most of 2006 bashing UF/SEC and praising OSU/Michigan to anyone that would listen, and then last year while he toned it down a bit still proclaimed OSU superior.

well if were talking teams of course its ND they have there own network. But conference wise its the SEC. Im not saying rightfully or wrongfully so but thats how it is. To say the media hates on the SEC isnt true they love the SEC. I had this conversation with Shelly Smith, all the football honks in ESPN love the SEC. And they have the biggest media darling in Tebow.

Fan wise the sec probably is hated the most I agree on that

You must not have watched all the broadcasts between OSU/Mich and the SECCG.  ESPN spent the whole time bashing UF and the SEC, and praising OSU/Mich and anyone else besides UF.  In fact only CBS and Danielson posted anything pro-SEC throughout the whole thing.

The SEC is recognized by most as best top to bottom on a regular basis, but media darlings they are not. 

Runole

Hall of Famer
#33 : April 04, 2008, 04:08:07 PM

Gotta Agree with Oregon.. Overall ,The SEC is # 1 darling  in the medias eyes nationwide.

Now of course since most conferences are regional most certainly the FAR WEST is biased towards the PAC 10  central towards the Big Twelve , the South SEC etc...  All states in that have Big 10 are going to favor them.

However, overall there is always an extreme love-fest for the SEC.  Passion sells!

LFO

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 04, 2008, 05:04:46 PM

Yet the 2 biggest media darlings, USC and ND, are not in the SEC....

The SEC is not a media darling.  Most members of media would like nothing more than to bring down an SEC school or to see them fail.  The SEC gets no favors from the media.  Despite this the SEC is regarded as the toughest conference because their play on the field warrants it.

I think some of you who are fans from other schools are confusing the SEC being considered the toughest conference with them being media darlings.  I don't think the 2 are related.  The SEC does not receive favorable coverage like some others schools and conferences, and that is what makes a media darling not being considered the best by on the field play on a consistent basis.

I think the SEC is the most widely scrutinized and criticized conference, bar none.  You don't really see stories swept under the rug like you do some of the others.

Love fest for the SEC runole?  Did you also not watch ESPN and ABC's coverage of the "debate" on Michigan/UF in 2006?  I think it was anything But an SEC or UF lovefest.

However, I will admit that after UF's subsequent beatdown of OSU, LSU was likely given the nod over some others last year based on that.  But again, that is warranted because of on-field results.  And again, LSU proved the dominance by another beatdown of OSU. 

If the SEC were a 2nd rate conference annually and still got the credit as being the best, you might have a point.  But I don't think that has been the case for quite some time.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : April 04, 2008, 06:10:55 PM

Gotta Agree with Oregon.. Overall ,The SEC is # 1 darling  in the medias eyes nationwide.

Now of course since most conferences are regional most certainly the FAR WEST is biased towards the PAC 10  central towards the Big Twelve , the South SEC etc...  All states in that have Big 10 are going to favor them.

However, overall there is always an extreme love-fest for the SEC.  Passion sells!

I think there is a problem understanding what the difference is between "Media Darling" and "Getting credit."

"Media Darling" Notre Dame get all kinds of coverage and nationally televised games when they are good and when they are God-awful.

The SEC is getting the credit for being the best conference for the last few years, because of records in Bowl games and the number of top-ranked teams.  If the SEC were truly "Media Darlings," they would get the same publicity whether the conference was strong or not.

I don't expect BornaRunole to comprehend the difference, but OBF might get the gist.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 04, 2008, 06:45:20 PM

USC and ND are far greater media darlings than any team in the SEC could ever imagine. The SEC DOES get credit for being the best conference top to bottom almost annually (and rightfully so IMO), but no one can touch USC and ND as far as media is concerned.

And ask Herbstreit about ESPN drooling over the SEC. He spent most of 2006 bashing UF/SEC and praising OSU/Michigan to anyone that would listen, and then last year while he toned it down a bit still proclaimed OSU superior.

well if were talking teams of course its ND they have there own network. But conference wise its the SEC. Im not saying rightfully or wrongfully so but thats how it is. To say the media hates on the SEC isnt true they love the SEC. I had this conversation with Shelly Smith, all the football honks in ESPN love the SEC. And they have the biggest media darling in Tebow.

Fan wise the sec probably is hated the most I agree on that

You must not have watched all the broadcasts between OSU/Mich and the SECCG. ESPN spent the whole time bashing UF and the SEC, and praising OSU/Mich and anyone else besides UF. In fact only CBS and Danielson posted anything pro-SEC throughout the whole thing.

The SEC is recognized by most as best top to bottom on a regular basis, but media darlings they are not.

did UF deserve more respect this year then OSU or Michigan though?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 04, 2008, 06:49:16 PM

The SEC is not a media darling. Most members of media would like nothing more than to bring down an SEC school or to see them fail. The SEC gets no favors from the media. Despite this the SEC is regarded as the toughest conference because their play on the field warrants it.

I think some of you who are fans from other schools are confusing the SEC being considered the toughest conference with them being media darlings. I don't think the 2 are related. The SEC does not receive favorable coverage like some others schools and conferences, and that is what makes a media darling not being considered the best by on the field play on a consistent basis.

I think the SEC is the most widely scrutinized and criticized conference, bar none. You don't really see stories swept under the rug like you do some of the others.

Love fest for the SEC runole? Did you also not watch ESPN and ABC's coverage of the "debate" on Michigan/UF in 2006? I think it was anything But an SEC or UF lovefest.

However, I will admit that after UF's subsequent beatdown of OSU, LSU was likely given the nod over some others last year based on that. But again, that is warranted because of on-field results. And again, LSU proved the dominance by another beatdown of OSU.

If the SEC were a 2nd rate conference annually and still got the credit as being the best, you might have a point. But I don't think that has been the case for quite some time.

why would the media want to see the SEC go down...

classic example

Tenn vs Cal round 1. Huge deal OMG Cal lost to UT

this year

Cal vs Tenn... cal wins not a big deal UT is in a down year

why would ESPN want to see the SEC fail? There largest market probably is the SEC crowd so I dont believe that for a second

SEC has favorble coverage overall more then any conference, with games shown on TV.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 04, 2008, 07:06:39 PM

The SEC is not a media darling. Most members of media would like nothing more than to bring down an SEC school or to see them fail. The SEC gets no favors from the media. Despite this the SEC is regarded as the toughest conference because their play on the field warrants it.

I think some of you who are fans from other schools are confusing the SEC being considered the toughest conference with them being media darlings. I don't think the 2 are related. The SEC does not receive favorable coverage like some others schools and conferences, and that is what makes a media darling not being considered the best by on the field play on a consistent basis.

I think the SEC is the most widely scrutinized and criticized conference, bar none. You don't really see stories swept under the rug like you do some of the others.

Love fest for the SEC runole? Did you also not watch ESPN and ABC's coverage of the "debate" on Michigan/UF in 2006? I think it was anything But an SEC or UF lovefest.

However, I will admit that after UF's subsequent beatdown of OSU, LSU was likely given the nod over some others last year based on that. But again, that is warranted because of on-field results. And again, LSU proved the dominance by another beatdown of OSU.

If the SEC were a 2nd rate conference annually and still got the credit as being the best, you might have a point. But I don't think that has been the case for quite some time.

why would the media want to see the SEC go down...

classic example

Tenn vs Cal round 1. Huge deal OMG Cal lost to UT

this year

Cal vs Tenn... cal wins not a big deal UT is in a down year

why would ESPN want to see the SEC fail? There largest market probably is the SEC crowd so I dont believe that for a second

SEC has favorble coverage overall more then any conference, with games shown on TV.

I think in 06 UT was coming off a 5-6 season so beating Cal was big.  Last year both were coming off decent years so when Cal won at home it was somewhat expected, although I don't think it what ho-him like you claim.  People thought Cal was legit after that game. 

Why does ESPN want the SEC to fail?  Well, for starters  ESPN has tie ins with Big Ten.  ABC shows extreme bias towards USC, they get primetime games even against scrubs.  I don't think SEC has favorable coverage at all, they actually have the worst TV deals in all sports.  Heck, the Big Ten has their own network, ND gets NBC to themselves.  The SEC is on Jefferson Pilot (or whatever they call themselves these days, Lincoln) and who really has that station?  The SEC basketball deal is also atrocious. 

Any coverage the SEC gets is earned by performance.  I don't think they get any given to them, like some other schools, cough ND, cough.

ranman

Pro Bowler
#39 : April 05, 2008, 09:36:51 AM

With the one exception of ND, winning programs become media magnets.  Look at the Canes in the late 80's - or the Noles in the 90's.  They were hyped every week- but they were winning.  This decade you have a handful of programs that are winning a lot and they are deservedly getting the hype from the media.    Conferences are a by product of the teams being hyped.  Last year you had three better than average, and one very good teams in he SEC.  The conference rec'd hype based on prior years as much as last year.  Agree? 

Fan bias - which is common here - does not play by that same rule.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#40 : April 05, 2008, 11:16:15 AM

You are exactly right, Ranman. 

Notre Dame is the only true "Media Darling" because they get the same amount of coverage, even when they suck....which has been true more times than not in the last few decades.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 05, 2008, 11:35:33 AM

With the one exception of ND, winning programs become media magnets.  Look at the Canes in the late 80's - or the Noles in the 90's.  They were hyped every week- but they were winning.  This decade you have a handful of programs that are winning a lot and they are deservedly getting the hype from the media.    Conferences are a by product of the teams being hyped.  Last year you had three better than average, and one very good teams in he SEC.  The conference rec'd hype based on prior years as much as last year.  Agree? 

Fan bias - which is common here - does not play by that same rule.

I would put LSU and UGA (both who won BCS bowls in blowout fashion) in the very good bracket last year, UF, UT, and AU in the above average.  The conference received hype because it was the best top to bottom.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#42 : April 05, 2008, 04:06:37 PM

You are exactly right, Ranman.

Notre Dame is the only true "Media Darling" because they get the same amount of coverage, even when they suck....which has been true more times than not in the last few decades.

Norte Dame is the Brittney Spears of college football.  A few years ago they were something to look at, now they are a train wreck.  but either way the media is giving her/them way too much coverage.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#43 : April 06, 2008, 07:48:10 PM

Notre Dame most certainly is the MEDIA 's darling team of all time forever.   They have religion, their own network, and fans throughout the country that cheer for them win or lose.  They play a National Schedule every year COAST TO COAST...  This just adds to their appeal.

However, the SEC as a Conference is the Media's darling primarily due to their fans extreme passion for the game of CFB.

When someone stated years ago  IN The East CFB is  "a novelty",   In the Mid West it is "a tradition",  in the West it is "an attraction" in the South it is a "RELIGION"  Truer words were never spoken.

Of course anyone that has the temerity to speak critically of the SEC as this thread shows will attract many "GROUPIES" quick to disagree! LOL 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 06, 2008, 10:48:17 PM

I don't think anyone is being bing critical of the SEC, nor do I think anyone cares. 

I think some however are mistaking getting credit where credit is due with being a "media darling."

ND is a perfect example of a media darling.  They have their own network and no matter how they do every year they will be ranked high until they lose about 5 games. 

The SEC, as a whole gets credit for being the best top to bottom because nearly every year they prove it on the field.

There is a big difference between the two. 

IMO anyone who claims the SEC is a media darling is jealous of the success the conference has had and the respect it has earned. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gators will win the National Championship « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools