Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pet Rocks, and Mock Drafts. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
: March 21, 2008, 10:55:07 AM

They all have about the same value.

I am not so sure what the fascination is with them...has anyone ever gotten even HALF the mock picks right in round 1?  Anyone?

Here is my mock (LMAO):

1:  Devin Thomas - WR
2:  Dre Moore - DT
3:  Tyvon Branch - KR/CB
4:  Chris Harrington - DE
5:  Doug LEgursky - C

There are my pet rocks.  I will be suprised if ANY of them come to fruition. :P

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 21, 2008, 10:56:40 AM

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/MFootball/2006/Bios/branch.html

Bio for Tyvon Branch.  I like this guy.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 21, 2008, 11:00:38 AM

Chris Harrington bio:

http://www.aggieathletics.com/bios.php?YOS=2006&PID=7157&SID=MFB

Doug Legursky bio:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56407

Dre Moore:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10964

Wilson

Practice Squad

#3 : March 21, 2008, 11:30:03 AM

The one thing that is consistant with these mock drafts is that everybody has us taking a WR, CB, and DT in the first 3 rounds with complete disregard for other positions. This is a terrible way to approach the draft process. Just draft the best player available in each round and stock the roster with quality talent. There are things in the NFL called injury and free agency. You need to have quality depth to build a champ!

zed

Pro Bowler

#4 : March 21, 2008, 11:39:28 AM

The one thing that is consistant with these mock drafts is that everybody has us taking a WR, CB, and DT in the first 3 rounds with complete disregard for other positions. This is a terrible way to approach the draft process. Just draft the best player available in each round and stock the roster with quality talent. There are things in the NFL called injury and free agency. You need to have quality depth to build a champ!
The problem with that approach is you can get a logjam at one position and complete holes in another.  Teams that have no glaring need at any position can afford to do what you are saying, or go to the other end of the spectrum, teams that have holes everywhere can afford to draft BPA every round.  But teams with a few glaring needs compared to the others especially when you're trying to find potential starters, you usually try to do that in the early rounds.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#5 : March 21, 2008, 11:52:31 AM

I agree with tha BPA strategy and Zed makes a great point against it but I'm pretty sure the Bucs won't draft a MLB in Round 2 even though he's the BPA. I can't name another position besides LG, C, RG, RT, FS, S and MLB that would create said logjam. I think the Bucs have alot more room to draft BPA's in this draft because they're not handcuffed by any overwhelming position depth or cash spent at any one position.

I think the Bucs go BP(maker)A at WR with #20 and then selects players who are at the top of thier board from Rounds 2-5 essentially making these players the BPA in the Bucs eyes. I surely hope the Bucs do draft both WR and CB...maybe a couple of them because this draft is supposedly deep @ both positions. Why not attempt to solidify our future at one if not both CB/WR with such deeply available talent?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 21, 2008, 12:04:00 PM

So in reality you want BPA at a position of need.  BPA theory is to pick the BPA regardless of need - which is inane.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#7 : March 21, 2008, 12:18:03 PM

Drafting BPA isn't insane...it's a luxury.

Unfortunetly we're not so stacked across our roster that we could reep the benefits of the reckless abandonment that is the BPA strategy and in reality, not many teams ever are.

Drafting the BPA at positions of need is the whole point of the NFL Draft. So we should throw a changeup and go Kicker in Round 1. Just kidding.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 21, 2008, 12:22:14 PM

Inane - not insane.  and do you want another guard, a center, a middle linebacker, or a safety?  Nope bc we have good players there and holes elsewhere... that is the issue with BPA.  It works great when you have good players across the board - but not so much if a team has holes - Like UT, WR, CB and perhaps even RB. 

And maybe I don't remember correctly but I believe the raiders did take Janikowski as a first round pick - so that has been done.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

potsie03

Rookie

#9 : March 21, 2008, 12:26:50 PM

What if the BPA for the Bucs pick in everyround was a WR?

LOL

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 21, 2008, 12:31:35 PM

And maybe I don't remember correctly but I believe the raiders did take Janikowski as a first round pick - so that has been done.

Yes. The Saints actually drafted Russell Erxleben HIGHER than Janikowski. He was 11th overall, Janikowski 17th overall. The Cardinals drafted kicker Steve Little at number 15 overall.

And the Redskins have drafted TWO first round kickers: Charlie Gogolak sixth overall in 1966 and Tony Zendejas in the first round of the supplemental draft of 1984.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 21, 2008, 12:33:13 PM

Ooops! I had to change my post...

I forgot about Ray Guy, drafted #23 overall by the Raiders. Yep, Al Davis has drafted both a K and a P in the first round.

Wilson

Practice Squad

#12 : March 21, 2008, 02:53:51 PM

I disagree. Draft the best player available in each round. I don't care if we have draft a Guard in the 2nd you just have to do it. You can't go wrong. First, you are screwing the other teams and second, you are creating some intense competition which leads to intense practices which also leads to better football on Sundays. If god for bid they get injured than you have a guy that can step in and not stink. You fill holes through free agency and build through the draft. If the best player available happens to be one of the positions of need for us than great. We should not have our hands tied during this process. I shudder at the though of us reaching for Trevor Laws or drafting a WR because they are the more immediate band aid when players like Chris Williams, Derrick Harvey, or Phillip Merling could realistically be available.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 21, 2008, 03:07:18 PM

If you have a weakness, your team is only that strong. You have to address it, because if you don't, it will be exposed and exploited. This is the NFL...

Wilson

Practice Squad

#14 : March 21, 2008, 03:15:04 PM

What if the BPA for the Bucs pick in everyround was a WR?

LOL

Than we will have a damn good receiving core.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pet Rocks, and Mock Drafts. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools