Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pet Rocks, and Mock Drafts. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 21, 2008, 03:26:13 PM

LOL - some folks are clearly convinced BPA is the way to go - personally I think it has to be modified until an solid 22 are in place

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#16 : March 21, 2008, 03:45:06 PM

Wilson, what you are espousing is the ideal, and I agree with it as an ideal.  I said several times the Bucs need to fill as many holes in FA as possible to be able to do just that.  I think it is a philosophy you try to get as close to as possible, and I think the Bucs moved in that direction.  However, there were a few holes they didn't get filled in FA, and some of those positions just "happen" to be some of the deepest positions IN the draft.  Could that have been by design?

In any event, what you espouse as an absolute is just not reality.  It won't happen in the 1st couple or 3 rounds because they of those holes, but you might see it in the 4th and 5th rounds because they did fill those holes.

I wouldn't mind at all, however, the Bucs taking 2 cbs in the draft, if they think there is one who fits our scheme in the 4th or 5th round.  Good cbs have gone that late MANY times before.  The reason I wouldn't mind it is because of Barber's advancing age and Wilson't one year contract.  I agree they will undoubtedly try to sign P-Buc, but I have doubts they will resign Wilson.  By signing Wilson, you have your 2 quality starters and a quality nickel.  Cut Davis and train the 2 rookies, playing the best one as the dime back.  He will have some time on the field, but will not be depended on for duty among the top 3.  Next year when Wilson is gone, the dime back with a year of experience in the Bucs system moves to the nickel, and if the other one shows he can do it, he moves to the dime back.  If they don't think he can, we sign another one in FA next year, if possible, and if we can't, we draft another one next year. By that time they will also have an idea if the nickeback at the time has the ability to suceed Ronde.

I am not necessarily ADVOCATING for that, but there is a case for it.

.....just my opinion

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 21, 2008, 05:34:44 PM

What else do the Bucs truly need aside from DT, Corner, and WR?

Thast is why the mocks have a consistent ring to them, because EVERYONE knows the Bucs need those positions.

Thus my picks of WR, DT, and CB/PR (He actually does two things.  SO when Barber leaves, maybe Tyvon Branch will be able to provide an able starter.  I doubt it, but the guy is fast...)

#18 : March 21, 2008, 05:53:12 PM

I prefer...

Wilson

Practice Squad

#19 : March 21, 2008, 08:00:51 PM

two perfect examples of drafting BPA. Taking Gaines Adams over Adrian Peterson was not drafting the BPA. The need was at DE but we ended up with Earnest Graham carrying the load for us last year. So now, instead of having Adrian Peterson we now have a RB by committe aproach that features Warrick Dunn, Michael Bennett, and Earnest Graham. That is not going to send chills down the spine of a defense. Taking Arron Sears over Ryan Khalil was a clear example of drafting the BPA. The bigger hole was at center but we took the BPA and that BPA came in and won the job in camp and dominated his rookie year and is on his way to pro bowl after pro bowl.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 21, 2008, 08:17:43 PM

there are only two ways to fill a hole or upgrade a roster spot:  the draft and free agency.  a team's draft approach should be a combination of need and BPA while factoring in who they project will still be available in the following rounds.  there is no simple formula but that's part of the fun of it.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 21, 2008, 11:07:59 PM

two perfect examples of drafting BPA. Taking Gaines Adams over Adrian Peterson was not drafting the BPA. The need was at DE but we ended up with Earnest Graham carrying the load for us last year. So now, instead of having Adrian Peterson we now have a RB by committe aproach that features Warrick Dunn, Michael Bennett, and Earnest Graham. That is not going to send chills down the spine of a defense. Taking Arron Sears over Ryan Khalil was a clear example of drafting the BPA. The bigger hole was at center but we took the BPA and that BPA came in and won the job in camp and dominated his rookie year and is on his way to pro bowl after pro bowl.
Yeah, and Adrian Peterson had a MONSTROUS O-line blocking for him, and reeled off great games.  And they sat at home watching the Bucs in the playoffs. 

A very highly ranked defense that benefitted by having Gaines Adams better the entire team concept. 

I am glad the Bucs drafted Gaines.  And I am glad they had Graham sitting there ready to show what he could do.  While he is no Peterson, he was capable of helping carry the load into the playoffs.

BPA would have dictated that Peterson be drafted #1 overall.  But nobody knows, or follows that procedure.  Espesciall ynot GMs in the NFL.  Or HCs either.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 21, 2008, 11:12:26 PM

The one thing that is consistant with these mock drafts is that everybody has us taking a WR, CB, and DT in the first 3 rounds with complete disregard for other positions. This is a terrible way to approach the draft process. Just draft the best player available in each round and stock the roster with quality talent. There are things in the NFL called injury and free agency. You need to have quality depth to build a champ!
And by that, how do you ascertain what is the "best" talent.

I am telling you guys this...the NFL draft is a total crapshoot.  NOBODY has it down.  NOBODY KNOWS DUDES!  SO while you may have your philosophy on the whole ordeal, you really are about as clueless as the next gent who has an idea...

CRAPSHOOT!  VEGAS!  BOOM OR BUST!

Even gurunics are morons for the most part.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#23 : March 21, 2008, 11:13:04 PM

1:  Devin Thomas - WR
2:  Dre Moore - DT
3:  Tyvon Branch - KR/CB
4:  Chris Harrington - DE
5:  Doug LEgursky - C

goobtube

Starter

#24 : March 21, 2008, 11:22:15 PM

I like Thomas but I have a feeling he may be gone when we draft. I think he would fit good in our Offense. I still don't think we should go WR in first round though. But after resigning and bringing in some FA's I am not against taking a WR in round 1 as much as I was a few weeks ago.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : March 22, 2008, 08:37:50 AM

The one thing that is consistant with these mock drafts is that everybody has us taking a WR, CB, and DT in the first 3 rounds with complete disregard for other positions. This is a terrible way to approach the draft process. Just draft the best player available in each round and stock the roster with quality talent. There are things in the NFL called injury and free agency. You need to have quality depth to build a champ!
And by that, how do you ascertain what is the "best" talent.

I am telling you guys this...the NFL draft is a total crapshoot. NOBODY has it down. NOBODY KNOWS DUDES! SO while you may have your philosophy on the whole ordeal, you really are about as clueless as the next gent who has an idea...

CRAPSHOOT! VEGAS! BOOM OR BUST!

Even gurunics are morons for the most part.

You mean Kiper is not God?  Oh my, some will not be sleeping well with that news....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

gruber

Pro Bowler

#26 : March 22, 2008, 09:28:04 AM

Boid,

As I say every year , reading someones mock draft is about as exciting as hearing about thier fantasy baseball team.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 22, 2008, 10:04:31 AM

Boid,

As I say every year , reading someones mock draft is about as exciting as hearing about thier fantasy baseball team.
I agree.  But I posted my first one ever, just because it is just as relevant as anybody else's.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#28 : March 22, 2008, 01:41:30 PM

I like Devin Thomas.  He is my favorite WR in the draft and one I think can be a future ProBowler.  Many know that I'm against taking WRs due to the heartburn I got from the likes of Anthony, Clayton, and Stovall; but I could definetly live with this pick seeing DT is my favorite WR in the draft.

Again, I like the 2nd round pick as well.  Dre Moore would be solid mixing in with Haye and Hovan.  He would give us youth at the position as well.

Don't know much about your 3rd round pick, but if hes good enough to be a kick returner and also play CB, I'm down for the selection.  I just hope he's known more as a CB then he is a kick returner.  We wont really need his CB skills this year with the depth at the position currently, but we dont want to draft another Zemeitis either..

I dont really like your DE selection in the 4th.  I dont really think a 4th rounder will help us on the D line.  I rather go DE in the 1st or 2nd to really solidify the position.  I think Chuckwurah and Wilkerson are already on the hot seat to make the team, so will Harrington push them off?  I dont know much about him, but hey maybe he can turn into another Tanard Jackson type player, except on the line.

I dont like your last pick at all.  With Jeff Faine, 26, it looks like we're set there.  It's more like a 2 year deal we gave him, instead of the stated 6 years, but if he performs well, he will stick around.  I think if Faine were to go down that Buenning or maybe even Davis could step in at center and back him up.  You can also scratch this pick if Jeremy Newberry signs that contract offered to him.  Regardless, I think we're better off drafting a back-up OT or maybe even OG then a center at the position.

So i dont mind the first 3 picks, but am not too fond of the last 2...especially the Center pick.  Hey, if Devin Thomas turns out to be a T.O. type player, then who cares right?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 22, 2008, 02:56:46 PM

Badabing,

As of right now, there is NOBODY that is playing center aside from Faine fro certain.  Buenning has been missing for slmost two seasons now, and might not be suited to play center.  All that speculation over him doing that is exactly that...speculating.  There has not been too much said about him moving to center by anyone.  And they lost Lehr, and Newberry has not signed.  And even if he does, he doesn't have many years left, so drafting a guy like Legurky makes sense because you can groom him, he is tough as nails, and will be exceedingly cheap.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pet Rocks, and Mock Drafts. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools