Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pet Rocks, and Mock Drafts. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#30 : March 22, 2008, 03:06:00 PM

Boid Fink, I hear ya out..but if we do sign Jeremy Newberry....

then i think that pick is certainly not going to happen seeing there is no way we carry 3 centers

#31 : March 22, 2008, 06:01:31 PM

I disagree. Draft the best player available in each round. I don't care if we have draft a Guard in the 2nd you just have to do it. You can't go wrong. First, you are screwing the other teams and second, you are creating some intense competition which leads to intense practices which also leads to better football on Sundays. If god for bid they get injured than you have a guy that can step in and not stink. You fill holes through free agency and build through the draft. If the best player available happens to be one of the positions of need for us than great. We should not have our hands tied during this process. I shudder at the though of us reaching for Trevor Laws or drafting a WR because they are the more immediate band aid when players like Chris Williams, Derrick Harvey, or Phillip Merling could realistically be available.

Filling holes through free agency was what helped this team get into cap hell not too many years ago.  Also if we were to fill the current needs of this team through FA this year, it would end up costing us a lot in terms of cap space and draft picks.   

Also while there are some players that are BPA for any team, often the BPA for one team is not the BPA for another.  IMO people that use that logic are those who are putting stock in the Kipers of this world, and whoever would be self proclaimed draft experts, which last I checked are jockeying a desk, hoping that someone takes stock in their argument.

Bottom Line: just filling needs through FA is never the be all end all solution for teams.  Just as the case is made for drafting for need isn't either.  But getting said players because they are both the BPA and fill a need is what is and should be the focus for teams.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 22, 2008, 09:40:58 PM

Boid Fink, I hear ya out..but if we do sign Jeremy Newberry....

then i think that pick is certainly not going to happen seeing there is no way we carry 3 centers
I can agree with that.  But as of right now, the team is very thin at center, corner, and arguably by some, wideout.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 22, 2008, 09:45:30 PM

yea, i dont think we are thin at wideout...we certainly lack QUALITY....but we do have QUANTITY...lol....

only WRs I'd look at would Devin Thomas and Mario Manningham who maybe we can land in the 2nd...but I'm not at all impressed with the others...mainly Limas Sweed and DeSean Jackson.

I would say that WR and arguably QB are the only positions that we should look at on Offense..while the defense can be used towards DE, DT, and CB...

we'll see...hopefully we can add a playmaking WR, I just hope its the right one...they are a risky pick...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 23, 2008, 12:58:05 AM

I disagree. Draft the best player available in each round. I don't care if we have draft a Guard in the 2nd you just have to do it. You can't go wrong. First, you are screwing the other teams and second, you are creating some intense competition which leads to intense practices which also leads to better football on Sundays. If god for bid they get injured than you have a guy that can step in and not stink. You fill holes through free agency and build through the draft. If the best player available happens to be one of the positions of need for us than great. We should not have our hands tied during this process. I shudder at the though of us reaching for Trevor Laws or drafting a WR because they are the more immediate band aid when players like Chris Williams, Derrick Harvey, or Phillip Merling could realistically be available.

Filling holes through free agency was what helped this team get into cap hell not too many years ago. Also if we were to fill the current needs of this team through FA this year, it would end up costing us a lot in terms of cap space and draft picks.

Also while there are some players that are BPA for any team, often the BPA for one team is not the BPA for another. IMO people that use that logic are those who are putting stock in the Kipers of this world, and whoever would be self proclaimed draft experts, which last I checked are jockeying a desk, hoping that someone takes stock in their argument.

Bottom Line: just filling needs through FA is never the be all end all solution for teams. Just as the case is made for drafting for need isn't either. But getting said players because they are both the BPA and fill a need is what is and should be the focus for teams.
Getting BPA is going to be an easy task for the Bucs this year.  After Balmer, DTs are pretty second roundish.  And even some consider Balmer second roundish...

But I still think Devin Thomas if available is a big boy, and HE fits the mold of a Gruden type wideout.  Strong, good hands, explosive.  And he can learn to block given his penchant for being a tough guy.

#35 : March 24, 2008, 12:18:31 AM

Getting BPA is going to be an easy task for the Bucs this year.  After Balmer, DTs are pretty second roundish.  And even some consider Balmer second roundish...

But I still think Devin Thomas if available is a big boy, and HE fits the mold of a Gruden type wideout.  Strong, good hands, explosive.  And he can learn to block given his penchant for being a tough guy.

Oh without question, I also think that the Bucs are set for BPA, but it also is something they can do to fill needs, and I believe they will.  I think that BPA for a need is common sense for teams that don't have the luxury of proven depth to make just a BPA approach.

I wouldn't argue Thomas being picked personally, especially since he does fit an area of need as well.  Is he the BPA that could also fill a need?  Depends who also is on the board at that time. I do like Chris Johnson because he has shown the versatility to be a returner, receiver, and runningback.  His speed also isn't bad either, but he is smallish.

If we do select a WR in the first, from what videos (granted this is what I can base off of) Manningham does show an ability to gain separation from various DBs.  If he can do that in the NFL, I would like him over some of those other projects, as long as it isn't a Jackson.  I don't know why, but when I hear scouts saying "Tenn Ginn Jr. type" I think of the Dolphins wasting a first rounder, IMO.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 24, 2008, 12:23:40 AM

Getting BPA is going to be an easy task for the Bucs this year. After Balmer, DTs are pretty second roundish. And even some consider Balmer second roundish...

But I still think Devin Thomas if available is a big boy, and HE fits the mold of a Gruden type wideout. Strong, good hands, explosive. And he can learn to block given his penchant for being a tough guy.

Oh without question, I also think that the Bucs are set for BPA, but it also is something they can do to fill needs, and I believe they will. I think that BPA for a need is common sense for teams that don't have the luxury of proven depth to make just a BPA approach.

I wouldn't argue Thomas being picked personally, especially since he does fit an area of need as well. Is he the BPA that could also fill a need? Depends who also is on the board at that time. I do like Chris Johnson because he has shown the versatility to be a returner, receiver, and runningback. His speed also isn't bad either, but he is smallish.

If we do select a WR in the first, from what videos (granted this is what I can base off of) Manningham does show an ability to gain separation from various DBs. If he can do that in the NFL, I would like him over some of those other projects, as long as it isn't a Jackson. I don't know why, but when I hear scouts saying "Tenn Ginn Jr. type" I think of the Dolphins wasting a first rounder, IMO.
I agree.  But the thing that is kind of scary with Jackson is this...he played in the Pac10.  And while they are no where near physical as the SEC or Big 10, they are notorious for having speed, finesse guys.  And Ginn played in a Big 10 arena, where his speed stood out.  In the Pac10, Jacksons speed is farther than the others...

AS for Manningham, I am still thinking Michigan receivers suck, despite Edwards.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 30, 2008, 03:25:09 PM

Faine, and then who?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 30, 2008, 03:33:26 PM

I think it's a little ridiculous to proclaim Ginn a bust after one season where he played on the worst team in the NFL.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#39 : March 30, 2008, 03:44:56 PM

The one thing that is consistant with these mock drafts is that everybody has us taking a WR, CB, and DT in the first 3 rounds with complete disregard for other positions. This is a terrible way to approach the draft process. Just draft the best player available in each round and stock the roster with quality talent. There are things in the NFL called injury and free agency. You need to have quality depth to build a champ!
The misconception to the BPA theory, is that no team will draft the BPA just for the sake of drafting the best player. Most teams have more then one glaring need, and other secondary needs. You take the best player available that fits one of your needs. If the Buccs biggest need is WR, but 5 of the top ones are drafted before #20, then hell no don't draft one. Move onto your next biggest need and draft the BPA of that position.

But to say other teams draft using the BPA theory is a farse. If the BPA is a RB when the Chatgers draft, will they take him? If the BPA is a QB when the Pats or Colts draft, do they takle him? No they don't. They take the BPA that corrolates to one of their need positions. If the BPA is a LB, I doubt seriously the Buccs draft him at #20.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 30, 2008, 03:47:19 PM

Faine, and then who?
Anyone, since some people say any old scrub can play center.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 30, 2008, 09:51:49 PM

Faine, and then who?
Anyone, since some people say any old scrub can play center.
I have a strong feeling about Legursky.  I think he is going to be a good NFL center.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Pet Rocks, and Mock Drafts. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools