Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 4th pick « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

: December 06, 2006, 12:17:54 AM

OK, what I'd really like to do is the following:
1. Pick a stud DE or DT at 3 or 4. Adams, Branch, that ilk. We have 15 sacks in 12 games. If that's not a weakness, then nothing is.
2. I'm going to assume that Brady Quinn goes 1 or 2. I'm not in love with Brohm, but there should be three other QBs that get high grades - Troy Smith, Drew Stanton and JeMarcus Russell. Trading UP from our low second-round pick could be an option, but we might be better served just waiting it out and seeing which one falls to us. If it's Russell, then all the better, which then leaves us to pick another Dline spot on our lower second unless a safety like a Brandon Meriweather (slated to be a low first) drops, whereupon you pick him. So you have DT/DE, QB, DE/DT or S, followed by DE/DT or S. A good center would be nice around Round 4.

Russell is NOT going to be there in rd 2.

Best case I believe we trade down a bit, take Russell, pick up an extra pick or 2 and use that to fill holes.

We have plenty of holes, if we can trade down a draft a guy like Russell while picking up some picks in the process we will be doing very well.  Hopefully there is a guy in the top 5 someone really covets to trade us a 2nd and maybe another pick for us to drop down several spots and take Russell.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 06, 2006, 12:09:21 AM

1. Pick a stud DE or DT at 3 or 4. Adams, Branch, that ilk. We have 15 sacks in 12 games. If that's not a weakness, then nothing is.
2. I'm going to assume that Brady Quinn goes 1 or 2. I'm not in love with Brohm, but there should be three other QBs that get high grades - Troy Smith, Drew Stanton and JeMarcus Russell. Trading UP from our low second-round pick could be an option, but we might be better served just waiting it out and seeing which one falls to us. If it's Russell, then all the better, which then leaves us to pick another Dline spot on our lower second unless a safety like a Brandon Meriweather (slated to be a low first) drops, whereupon you pick him.  So you have DT/DE, QB, DE/DT or S, followed by DE/DT or S. A good center would be nice around Round 4.

In Verner We Trust

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 05, 2006, 11:51:41 PM

JBF, you gonna get off the fence and state an opinion on this issue?  LOL.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 05, 2006, 11:49:43 PM

With Plummer, no revival. With plumber, less clogs. Drano is cheaper than Jake the Snake.

In Verner We Trust

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 05, 2006, 11:47:01 PM

Looking for better than no worse than Grads when spending FA money.  And maybe there could be a revival, goodness knows the bucs could use one after this year.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#5 : December 05, 2006, 11:45:23 PM

Gonna agree, Plumber or Plummer, either way he is not a choice I would feel good about.

He is no worse than Grads and at any rate not the future just a stop gap.  Who knows maybe he could revive himself like a certain other journeyman QB did with Gruden in Gannon......

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 05, 2006, 11:45:18 PM

I could use a good plumber right about now. Downstairs bathroom sink needs fixing. Maybe that's why they call it an ALLEN wrench, eh?

In Verner We Trust

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 05, 2006, 11:42:22 PM

Gonna agree, Plumber or Plummer, either way he is not a choice I would feel good about.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 06, 2006, 11:26:55 AM

The last thing we need is another 1st round "weapon".    I cringe when I hear that word.    Please.  Get somebody in the trenches.

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 06, 2006, 12:14:10 AM

With Plummer, no revival. With plumber, less clogs. Drano is cheaper than Jake the Snake.

LMAO!!

SB4TB

Starter

#10 : December 05, 2006, 11:39:36 PM

We need to take Russell/Quinn round 1, sign a vet like Garcia, Plummer, etc. to compete with Grads.

If we are too high to take one of those guys explore moving down and picking up a choice or 2.  Then nab that guy.

We need a potential franchise QB in here.  Have a vet/Grads hold down the fort for a year or 2 until he is ready....

For the love of god please not Plummer.

#11 : December 06, 2006, 10:42:34 AM

2. I'm going to assume that Brady Quinn goes 1 or 2. I'm not in love with Brohm, but there should be three other QBs that get high grades - Troy Smith, Drew Stanton and JeMarcus Russell. Trading UP from our low second-round pick could be an option, but we might be better served just waiting it out and seeing which one falls to us. If it's Russell, then all the better, which then leaves us to pick another Dline spot on our lower second unless a safety like a Brandon Meriweather (slated to be a low first) drops, whereupon you pick him. So you have DT/DE, QB, DE/DT or S, followed by DE/DT or S. A good center would be nice around Round 4.

Russell is NOT going to be there in rd 2.

Best case I believe we trade down a bit, take Russell, pick up an extra pick or 2 and use that to fill holes.

We have plenty of holes, if we can trade down a draft a guy like Russell while picking up some picks in the process we will be doing very well. Hopefully there is a guy in the top 5 someone really covets to trade us a 2nd and maybe another pick for us to drop down several spots and take Russell.

You have to understand Gruden isnt gonna take a player to develop in 2-3 years HE DOESNT HAVE TIME. He will take a splash playmaker #1 Calvin Johnson with Galloway and a free agent WR will electrify this offense and buy him some time

#12 : December 06, 2006, 10:13:58 AM

We're DEPLETED in all areas..........we can't afford a first round pick this year. trade down....We have an entire D to rebuild.

Well, I would say trade down to mid first round and get another second rounder.  Pick up a DT there in the first round and maybe a DE with one of the THREE second rounders we'd have.  Look for a WR with one of the other 2nd rounders.  Maybe a S/CB or top flight FB (if you know who is still there).

That would be a nice start...

I'm not against taking a WR in the top 5 either, though, as we're weak there big time...we have no one we can count on next year.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 06, 2006, 01:24:01 AM

Well said about the concrete option, Bayside. A lot of people like to trade down, but very few can pull it off. Odds are it won't happen. As for the QB slot, will ALL of those guys go first round? Not likely. At 35 or 36, we might get one that drops.

In Verner We Trust

sma2680

Practice Squad

#14 : December 06, 2006, 01:05:27 AM

We're DEPLETED in all areas..........we can't afford a first round pick this year. trade down....We have an entire D to rebuild.

I hate when people say this.  As if it were that easy.  I agree in the sense that if you can get two decent first round picks for our number 4 overall, then maybe you make the trade, depending on how you grade the first round talent.  But it is not like "trading down" is a concrete option.  We should wholly expect to pick where we are slotted to.  In that case I think Johnson and Gaines Adams look very enticing.  The OT from Wisconsin also could be a smart pick.  I wish there was a worth taking at 4, but I am not a fan of Quinn.  Of course there is a lot of time before the draft to spend worrying about this...
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 4th pick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools