Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Theory on Greise trade « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
: March 24, 2008, 04:45:36 PM

WOW....fans are still talking about Plummer.
Because the Bucs aren't, and neither is Plummer.  They aren't saying saying anything about the court case. They aren't saying anything.    Last we heard Plummer was wakeboarding and playing handball.  Well have we heard anything about a new career?  Fat, drunk and wakeboarding is no way to go through life son.   Jake is a football player until he is something else.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 24, 2008, 04:50:57 PM

I posted this same theory about 2 weeks ago. 

Robb22

Starter
#2 : March 23, 2008, 07:02:16 PM

I was reading on here today the threads for drafting Brohm. My first thought even though I like Brohm (I like Flacco better) is the there's no need or room for a QB on the rostrer now that the Bucs traded for Greise.

then it hit me, maybe the Bucs FO traded for Greise with the thought of drafting a QB early (provided the right one falls). Maybe the FO wasn't sold on goiung into next season with Gracia, a rookie and one of the current QB's on the roster(before the Greise trade)

Gresise gives the Bucs the back-up they need with starting experince, knowledge of the WCO and Gru's play book.

Now the Bucs maybe comfortable enought to draft the QB of the future knowing if Gracia goes down, they have a capable back-up not named Grad's, Luke, or Simms.

With that said, I like Brohm,  can't argue with his college success.
But I am liking Flacco more and more.
Great size, big time arm who played in the WCO in collge and was very successful.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#3 : March 23, 2008, 07:16:46 PM

I will forever be in favor of any plan that nets us a franchise QB. I will forever give every young QB on this team a chance and support to be our franchise QB until they prove to me they can't be.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 23, 2008, 07:23:51 PM

thats the reason why i think they signed eugene wilson. to hide that they will go CB in the first round.  that can be said about alot of things.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#5 : March 23, 2008, 07:47:00 PM

Sarasotabuc fan,or why they signed Bennett...to cover up that they want a rb...Felix Jones,or Chris Johnson who a lot of teams may move up and take if they thought we wanted a rb.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 23, 2008, 08:01:34 PM

I think its just wanting to have more options so that they can trade QBs.
Garcia - not going anywhere.
Gradkowski - no trade value.
McCown- worth more to us than to somebody else.
Simms- good as gone. Doesn't fit the system.

So we have 2 QBs Garcia and McCown.

Plummer stands a very good chance of coming in after the draft.  He may be waiting until after the draft because that will be after the 7th round pick is allotted to Denver.  That will please Plummer that Denver gets the 7th instead of the 4th.  The Bucs aren't going to complain either.

So getting Griese gives the Bucs the flexibility.  They can trade Plummer if he comes in.  If he doesn't come in they have Griese to compete for #2 with McCown.  They can trade Griese and keep Plummer.  Well you get the idea.  It gives the Bucs a lot of flexibility, and I think we will see some things happen after the draft.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#7 : March 23, 2008, 08:14:26 PM

WOW....fans are still talking about Plummer.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : March 23, 2008, 09:20:34 PM

The reason they traded for Griese is that the Bucs do not have a trustworthy veteran QB on the roster to back up Garcia, who may miss games this season due to injury. And in fact, don't be surprised to see a little more Griese than you'd expect even while Garcia is healthy.

They traded for Griese because he has had success in Gruden's offense, he knows the system, has plenty of starts, he's been to a Super Bowl, he's been to a Pro Bowl, and he has the highest single season passer rating in Buccaneers history.

They traded for Griese because Gruden learned his lesson regarding how to stock his QB position in 2006.

They traded for Griese because Gruden trusts him. He fits.

They traded for Griese because it was better and cheaper than waiting for him hit the open market.

And they traded for Griese because most sixth round picks aren't a whole lot more useful than an undrafted player you can sign off the street.

There's nothing more than that going on here, folks. Trust me on this.

Agent Orange

Starter

#9 : March 23, 2008, 09:27:41 PM

If we do draft Brohm I don't think many would have a problem with it. I don't personally think he's going to be as good as expected but I say that while still wondering if I'm right on that one. The problem is that Gruden is still on the hot seat and that is why I don't see them drafting Brohm in the 1st round. I could see them picking up a QB from round 3 on.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 23, 2008, 09:35:39 PM

I will be surprised if they draft him with their first pick.  I have been surprised before.

.....just my opinion

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 23, 2008, 10:09:13 PM

yeah I agree that Griese was added because he's been with the team before, and provides a veteran guy who can throw some TDS and possibly give us a chance to win.

McCown, although I've been harsh on him, deserves to be on the team, but after just 3 starts and an unimpressive record with significant playing time, I'm not ready to make him the future either.

I dont see the Bucs going with QB in round 1.  I'd be shocked if they drafted a QB at all, but if Brohm or Henne are around in the 2nd with their pick, then Gruden may have his itch to draft the guy.

The thing is, I think McCown would be the odd man out...not Griese....despite people saying McCown is the #2 QB

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#12 : March 23, 2008, 10:14:27 PM

I think with Garcia, McCown and Griese, we have a very strong qb position.  Gruden learned his lesson in 2006 about being deep in qbs who can start and perform well.  He learns fast, and won't let it happen again if he can help it.  The only way it happens again is if all 3 get hurt.

.....just my opinion

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 23, 2008, 10:15:11 PM

I think with Garcia, McCown and Griese, we have a very strong qb position.  Gruden learned his lesson in 2006 about being deep in qbs who can start and perform well.  He learns fast, and won't let it happen again if he can help it.  The only way it happens again is if all 3 get hurt.

bucjoe... i agree totally.  good assesment

#14 : March 23, 2008, 10:29:03 PM

The reason they traded for Griese is that the Bucs do not have a trustworthy veteran QB on the roster to back up Garcia, who may miss games this season due to injury. And in fact, don't be surprised to see a little more Griese than you'd expect even while Garcia is healthy.

They traded for Griese because he has had success in Gruden's offense, he knows the system, has plenty of starts, he's been to a Super Bowl, he's been to a Pro Bowl, and he has the highest single season passer rating in Buccaneers history.

They traded for Griese because Gruden learned his lesson regarding how to stock his QB position in 2006.

They traded for Griese because Gruden trusts him. He fits.

They traded for Griese because it was better and cheaper than waiting for him hit the open market.

And they traded for Griese because most sixth round picks aren't a whole lot more useful than an undrafted player you can sign off the street.

There's nothing more than that going on here, folks. Trust me on this.

Yep, that's it right there DTG, nicely spelled out.

How did the last 6th rounder for the Bucs end up guys and gals ?

Like bucjoe said, QB is not in dire need of an upgrade.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Theory on Greise trade « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools