Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Theory on Greise trade « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#15 : March 24, 2008, 10:41:42 AM

If we draft a QB, we will go into the season with 4. Gruden will not cut/trade McCown.

That's a wasted roster spot.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#16 : March 24, 2008, 12:45:23 PM

so your rather have a 4th QB that will not see the field at all over someone who can contribute on Special teams?

I personally think we wont draft a QB..and keep Garcia, Griese, and McCown...

but you McCown supporters are SADLY mistaken if you think Griese was added to be the 3rd string QB.  Some teams dont even carry 3 QBs, i.e. Colts; the third string QB rarely sees the field.

Gruden, obviously, doesn't have as much confidence in McCown that many of you guys do, or else we wouldn't have traded for Griese.  What difference does it make who the 3rd string QB is?  Griese was added to be the #2 and by McCown's 3 1/2 games of playing time, he did not earn the right to be crowned "Future Franchise QB", just because he had decent numbers.

Like I said, we will probably go into the season with Garcia, Griese, and McCown; but if we do draft a QB, you can expect McCown to be unloaded for a draft pick.  It wont be that high because the guy only played 3 games for us and other GMs may not be ready to call this guy the Future, but we certainly could get a late round pick that could land a steal in the draft.

Buc31

Starter

#17 : March 24, 2008, 12:50:09 PM

thats the reason why i think they signed eugene wilson. to hide that they will go CB in the first round.  that can be said about alot of things.

Lmao!

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 24, 2008, 12:56:24 PM

I honestly think that Gruden has been given the green light to draft his franchise QB. My guess is that Plummer, Grads, Simms and even Luke will be gone if they draft players like Flaco or Josh Johnson. My bet is on Johnson because he has an in house sponsor in Doug Williams. I also think that the QB coach Olson was brought in specifically to coach up this years draftee. That's also why Hackett isn't around because Simms, Grads & Luke were so unsteady. Garcia & Griese can be coached by Gruden by simply sending in the plays. Allen will probably hold a fire sale and try to get something for nothing with the four QB's mentioned. I know we all think that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken spit but Allen's track record proves otherwiswe. We shall see.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

#19 : March 24, 2008, 01:07:40 PM

so your rather have a 4th QB that will not see the field at all over someone who can contribute on Special teams?

I personally think we wont draft a QB..and keep Garcia, Griese, and McCown...

but you McCown supporters are SADLY mistaken if you think Griese was added to be the 3rd string QB.  Some teams dont even carry 3 QBs, i.e. Colts; the third string QB rarely sees the field.

Gruden, obviously, doesn't have as much confidence in McCown that many of you guys do, or else we wouldn't have traded for Griese.  What difference does it make who the 3rd string QB is?  Griese was added to be the #2 and by McCown's 3 1/2 games of playing time, he did not earn the right to be crowned "Future Franchise QB", just because he had decent numbers.

Like I said, we will probably go into the season with Garcia, Griese, and McCown; but if we do draft a QB, you can expect McCown to be unloaded for a draft pick.  It wont be that high because the guy only played 3 games for us and other GMs may not be ready to call this guy the Future, but we certainly could get a late round pick that could land a steal in the draft.

How about we let competition do it's work and then see how it turns out ? It's a win-win situation IMO.

I also disagree with the '3rd string' comment. Anytime you can increase your depth, you create better competition. It's plauseable that 3 QBs see the field this season.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 24, 2008, 01:18:24 PM

My theory is Gruden/Allen looked at the QBs in FA, then looked at the QBs in the draft, puked a little, then called Griese.

#21 : March 24, 2008, 01:19:38 PM

My theory is Gruden/Allen looked at the QBs in FA, then looked at the QBs in the draft, puked a little, then called Griese.

LOL !

That wouldn't be too hard to believe.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 24, 2008, 01:20:47 PM

I also disagree with the '3rd string' comment. Anytime you can increase your depth, you create better competition. It's plauseable that 3 QBs see the field this season.

You are assuming, of course, that there will actually be some sort of competition.  I'm guessing that the depth chart is already fixed.

#23 : March 24, 2008, 01:27:04 PM

You are assuming, of course, that there will actually be some sort of competition.  I'm guessing that the depth chart is already fixed.

Yes. To think otherwise pains me too much.  :)

But yes brads, I know how you feel about this and you have a valid point.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 24, 2008, 02:36:05 PM

Yes. To think otherwise pains me too much.  :)

But yes brads, I know how you feel about this and you have a valid point.

Is the point at the end there to say that there won't be a competition for the #2 spot?  What would be the reason for that? 

I got some multiple choices here if that makes it easy...

1. Gruden Sucks
2. McCown Sucks
3. The way you view the three slots is Starter,  short term replacement, hopefully long term solution and it's very clear who would fill those rolls.
4. other (explain please)

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

#25 : March 24, 2008, 02:51:32 PM

Rowdie, I hope Griese will bring out the best in Luke. Luke has Griese beat physically but obviously doesn't have the smarts or experience.

To say there won't be a competition irks me. I expect there to be one, but I also know how frustrated Gruden gets with these young guys and I think that has been the premise brads and others are going on.

Luke has to get tougher with regard to the mental aspect of his game or he'll be the #3, or worse. Both Allen and Gruden have publicly said they like what they see in Luke and I agree with them. But if he wants to compete for the starting position, he has to take his game to the next level. Most of that is mental, which may be hard for Luke to overcome, but he does have all the physical attributes that I look for in this scheme.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#26 : March 24, 2008, 05:36:16 PM

WOW....fans are still talking about Plummer.
Because the Bucs aren't, and neither is Plummer. They aren't saying saying anything about the court case. They aren't saying anything. Last we heard Plummer was wakeboarding and playing handball. Well have we heard anything about a new career? Fat, drunk and wakeboarding is no way to go through life son. Jake is a football player until he is something else.
He's supposedly a Professional Handball player. Does that constitute something else?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 24, 2008, 05:41:59 PM

WOW....fans are still talking about Plummer.
Because the Bucs aren't, and neither is Plummer. They aren't saying saying anything about the court case. They aren't saying anything. Last we heard Plummer was wakeboarding and playing handball. Well have we heard anything about a new career? Fat, drunk and wakeboarding is no way to go through life son. Jake is a football player until he is something else.

I have a hard time believing that the Bucs would have made the trade for Griese if they felt Plummer was coming on board

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 24, 2008, 06:03:30 PM

There's Plummer coming on  board to play for the Bucs and there's Plummer coming on board so he can be traded to another team.   Houston is getting rid of Rosenfels?  Hmm.  Makes you wonder.

Plank

Starter

#29 : March 24, 2008, 08:47:13 PM

Perhaps all these new additions are simply to cover all glaring weaknesses so the FO can truly go BPA. Hey, a guy can hope!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Theory on Greise trade « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools