Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Felix Jones is still on the board at pick # 52 do you take him??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 25, 2008, 03:43:57 PM

No you do not take him. The BUcs sorely need players at spots other than RB, and QB. Sorry to break it to you fellas.

Funny thing is boid there will be people here furious that we didnt take ANOTHER QB and throw away a 20

The funny thing is that our offense continues to stink yet nobody wants to replace or upgrade the skill postions because we already are set with "stars" like Earnest Graham, Donald Penn, Maurice Stovall, Micheal Clayton, and Alex Smith.  And don't forget 38 year old Jeff Garcia.  The fact is that the offense lacks a single playmaker.  Felix Jones could help this team in a variety of ways and we would be stupid not to consider him in the late 2nd.  That guy that could only lift 8 reps average over 8 yards a carry in the SEC.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 25, 2008, 04:05:25 PM

Felix Jones...Arkansas HB Felix Jones told Sirius NFL Radio that he plans on participating in the position drills, the bench and the vertical jump, but will probably stand on his forty time from the combine...Jones also stated that he's a huge Cowboys fan and felt the Cowboys, Buccaneers, Panthers and Packers showed the most interest in him at Indy.

Jamaal Charles...Texas HB Jamaal Charles has team visits scheduled with the Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Washington Redskins in the coming weeks.

from eastcoastsports.com

Judging by who Gruden is bringing in for a visit it looks like he thinks we need a speed back as well.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#32 : March 25, 2008, 04:07:23 PM

The Bucs have Bennett, and more needs at other positions to take a RB in the 2nd round. If you don't think Bennett is capable of contributing to the BUCS this year, then you have a different opinion than I do.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 25, 2008, 04:13:43 PM

I just question using a 2nd round pick on a player who may see the field for 10 plays a game and likely doesn't have the physical skills to be an every down back. The Bucs have a lot of needs at positions that will see the field a lot more than a change of pace back.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 25, 2008, 04:15:58 PM

I don't believe Bennett makes this team any better other than as depth.  All I'm saying is don't **CENSORED** about the offense's lack of production if you are not willing to upgrade what we have.

#35 : March 25, 2008, 04:19:16 PM

No you do not take him.  The BUcs sorely need players at spots other than RB, and QB.  Sorry to break it to you fellas.

Earnest Graham- career ST player who played well when pressed into action.   Does nothing exceedingly well, but is a guy who can hit the hole and move the chains.  He is solid in the passing game (receiver, protection), but is not much of a threat and does not create match up problems.  Started to break down towards the end of the season due to over-work.  Not a workhorse, but a guy who can be productive with 15-20 touches a game. 

Warrick Dunn-  1, 2 years maybe?  Role player. 

Carnell Williams-  Won't be ready this season, if ever.

Michael Bennett- 4 teams in 4 years.  At this point, a journeyman who can be effective in space. 

Adding a playmaker at RB is a pretty important need spot, I would say.  If the Bucs could land an elite talent like Stewart at 20, that would be a steal.  I'm not sold on Jones, but his special teams value alone makes him a good pick in the second round.  I highly doubt he will make it out of the top of the 2nd. 

Good post.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 25, 2008, 04:19:43 PM

I just question using a 2nd round pick on a player who may see the field for 10 plays a game and likely doesn't have the physical skills to be an every down back. The Bucs have a lot of needs at positions that will see the field a lot more than a change of pace back.
 don't forget his kick return ability.  Judging by what he did in Oakland and the signing of Dunn, Gruden loves backs like Jones, Charles, and Johnson.

#37 : March 25, 2008, 04:23:24 PM

I'll add that while I agree there are bigger needs, to take Jones at # 52 would be a BPA scenario verses a need pick.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 25, 2008, 04:30:50 PM

don't forget his kick return ability.  Judging by what he did in Oakland and the signing of Dunn, Gruden loves backs like Jones, Charles, and Johnson.
Garner and Wheatley were free agent signings by the Raiders. Free agency is a great place to find part time players. Just about all of them have flaws, so you find ones that have one good trait you can maximize your use of them. A 2nd round draft pick needs to have the intention of being a full time player in my opinion.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 25, 2008, 04:37:19 PM

Man I don't get some of these "need" takes.  I keep hearing no need at RB, no need at QB, no need at Oline... First place on the offense I hear about need is #2 WR. Well if that's the case how come they didn't score more points? 

Need DE, need DT, Need CB, maybe need LB (actually those takes get plenty of questions). The D is better then the O, no?

I see nothing but need all over that offense, the best I have for it is hope. I hope tru and davin are great, I hope EG is that sweet underdog story, I hope Troupe and Smith excell, I hope Joey stays healthy, I hope Peti/penn work out at LT and on and on and on.  Hope Garcia stays healthy and McCown develops.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 25, 2008, 04:38:12 PM

Wow, really? Why not guys? I've been eying a CB at that spot (great value), but someone with Jones' pure rushing ability with his great KR ability is just icing on the cake. He's as smooth a runner as there is in this draft

In terms of value he wouldn't be a bad pick at the bottom of the 2nd round for the Bucs.  But I would be suprised if he fell that far.

Plank

Starter

#41 : March 25, 2008, 05:14:51 PM

Don't get me wrong guys, I would love some firepower on offense. I just am afraid of him for the same reason I am afraid of Desean Jackson- I don't doubt their speed I doubt their ability to get up after Michael Strahan or Roy Williams gets ahold of them.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 25, 2008, 05:19:24 PM

It would be incredible if he was there at 52 ...hes rated as the 4 best rb in the draft...hell if hes still there at 24 Dallas will take him...doub t if he lasts that long...he may not get passed the 20th pick ;)

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#43 : March 25, 2008, 05:31:26 PM

Felix jones is bigger then Dunn look what Dunn has done.

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#44 : March 25, 2008, 05:32:35 PM

Dallas picks at 22 and 28!!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: If Felix Jones is still on the board at pick # 52 do you take him??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools