Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1st round drop off « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

: March 26, 2008, 09:57:49 AM

Is it me or does it seem like the last 1st rounder will be drafted with the 19th pick and after that we're looking at glorified 2nd rounders? Take the running back positions - you have McFadden, Mendenhall, Stewart, and everyone else. At corner you have McKelvin, DRC, Talib, Jenkins, and everyone else. At tackle you have Long, Clady, Williams and everyone else. At end you have Long, Gholston, Harvey, and everyone else. At DT you have Dorsey, Ellis, and everyone else. It's arguable if there even is a 1st round receiver or quarterback. Linebacker and safety aren't even close to needs. All these players are going to be gone and we're looking at 'everyone else'.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#1 : March 26, 2008, 10:12:27 AM

The thing is, there are teams in the first 19 selections who are looking at Ryan and Brohm as 1st round QBs; Sweed, Thomas and Jackson as 1st round WRs and teams with needs at Linebacker and Saftey. That helps to push the first set of 19 down to 20 and beyond.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 26, 2008, 10:15:41 AM

Is it me or does it seem like the last 1st rounder will be drafted with the 19th pick and after that we're looking at glorified 2nd rounders?

Of course. If the Bucs drafted at #27, then the first rounders would run out at 26. If they drafted a #14, then we'd be all out of first rounders at 13 overall.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 26, 2008, 10:20:20 AM

Is it me or does it seem like the last 1st rounder will be drafted with the 19th pick and after that we're looking at glorified 2nd rounders?

Of course. If the Bucs drafted at #27, then the first rounders would run out at 26. If they drafted a #14, then we'd be all out of first rounders at 13 overall.
I'm not trying to intentionally be negative, if that is what you are suggesting.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#4 : March 26, 2008, 10:25:51 AM

I'm not trying to intentionally be negative, if that is what you are suggesting.

Yeah, but you kind of diminish the QB and WR positions even though we know some team is going to draft one of if not all of those guys before we pick, especially the top two QBs. You make the situation appear more bleak than it truly is.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 26, 2008, 10:30:26 AM

Yeah, but you kind of diminish the QB and WR positions even though we know some team is going to draft one of if not all of those guys before we pick, especially the top two QBs. You make the situation appear more bleak than it truly is.
I did the research and referenced 15 players. Throw in Matt Ryan (only consensus top 20 QB), Keith Rivers (only consensus top 20 LB), one receiver (Sweed or Jackson), and one wild card, and you're through #19. Can anyone make the case Sam Baker, Kentwan Balmer, Chris Johnson, Justin King, etc., belong with the players I named?

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#6 : March 26, 2008, 10:30:47 AM

Sorry but i'm not buying that ....every year it happenes that teams want a player and will draft them sooner because they won't be there by the time they pick again...there could be 2 qbs,2 lbs ,2 wrs a safty maybe another OT ,DT,CB,RB added to your list as teams go after the best left at the position that they NEED...there are the elite and also the very good....and this draft has a lot of the very good....so some of the elite will fall past 20....i'll take book on that.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#7 : March 26, 2008, 10:38:08 AM

Would anyone be mad if we drafted Balmer ,Johnson,Baker,Felix Jones,or King at 20....all except King as I doubt we will go CB in the 1st ....I won't...hey its that way every year.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#8 : March 26, 2008, 10:56:12 AM

I did the research and referenced 15 players. Throw in Matt Ryan (only consensus top 20 QB), Keith Rivers (only consensus top 20 LB), one receiver (Sweed or Jackson), and one wild card, and you're through #19. Can anyone make the case Sam Baker, Kentwan Balmer, Chris Johnson, Justin King, etc., belong with the players I named?

Yeah, but you leave off Jeff Otah, DeSean Jackson and Phillip Merling who are listed as Top 20 players. Brohm, and Sweed are also good players just outside of the Top 20. That should give you 4 more players which would carry us through pick number twenty.

I'd rather base my opinion off of a tier system, just because the top 20 players don't always go in the top 20 picks. Here's Todd McShay's (Scout's Inc.) Top 3 Tiers:

Elite Tier:
1. Chris Long
2. Darren McFadden
3. Jake Long
4. Glenn Dorsey
5. Matt Ryan
6. Sedrick Ellis

Second Tier
7. Vernon Gholston
8. Ryan Clady
9. Rashard Mendenhall
10. keith Rivers
11. Leodis McKelvin
12. Derrick Harvey
13. DRC
14. Chris Williams
15. Jeff Otah
16. Mike Jenkins

Thrid Tier
17. Malcom kelly
18. Phillip Merling
19. Branden Albert
20. DeSean Jackson
21. Jarod Mayo
22. Brian Brohm
23. Aqib Talib
24. Limas Sweed
25. Clais Campbell
26. Mario Manningham
27. Jonathan Stewart

I respect Todd McShay's rankings more than most, and even if you disagree with the rankingsyou could still move players up or down within the tiers as you see fit. Looking at our pick and considering that a player could be selected 2-3 picks up or down from his ranking, I'd say if we end up with a choice of Merling, Talib, Brohm, Stewart, Jackson or Sweed it's a pretty good day.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 26, 2008, 11:00:59 AM

However you slice it, it's pretty clear the talent drops off within 2-3 picks ahead of the Bucs.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#10 : March 26, 2008, 11:02:34 AM

However you slice it, it's pretty clear the talent drops off within 2-3 picks ahead of the Bucs.

Say hello to Joe Flacco.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 26, 2008, 11:04:26 AM

This is true and can be said of most drafts.  The 20-30 range is known for the most part of the draft where the tweeners usually go (borderline 1st/2nd rounder).

That is why teams are usually willing to trade down in this area more frequently (and the fact the price tag to move up in this range is also lucrative).

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#12 : March 26, 2008, 11:37:27 AM

Sorry, but I can't agree. I'd be more than happy with Talib, Brohm, or Stewart if it played out that way, and to be honest i couldn't argue with Jackson or Sweed either.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 26, 2008, 01:43:40 PM

I remember a vibe I got from alot of people that we had to "settle" for Gaines Adams last year after the Lions and Browns took CJ and JT. Unless we draft first, there's always going to be someone with the feeling that we're falling short of the best players.

Personally, I'm just happy we're not trading our #1 picks anymore...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 26, 2008, 01:45:26 PM

Sorry, but I can't agree. I'd be more than happy with Talib, Brohm, or Stewart if it played out that way, and to be honest i couldn't argue with Jackson or Sweed either.
I think it's very likely Talib, Stewart, one out of Sweed/Jackson, and mayeb Brohm are gone by #20.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 1st round drop off « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools