Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line Draft Prospects « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

creekchub00

Starter

: December 06, 2006, 10:58:53 PM

Defensive Tackles

Alan Branch DT 6-6 325 Michigan. 1st round
The obvious trait that jumps out at you about Branch is his size. He has a massive frame and is immovable on the inside of the defensive line. His size and strength allows him to hold his ground and clog running lanes. Branch is also a very good athlete for his size and shows the ability to get around blocks and adjust to the ball carrier and make the play. His combination of talent will allow him to play end or nose tackle in a 3-4, or inside in a 4-3 alignment.
Comes off snap very quickly. Plays 100% from snap to whistle. Immense upper body strength. Can play end or tackle. Raw and still developing, which is scary considering how good he is.
One of the best tackles to come along in the last decade, will be a top 10-15 pick when he declares.
Amobi Okoye DT 6-1 317 Louisville. 1st round
A very exciting prospect with tremendous upside considering he will only be 19 when he is drafted,
he has amazing athletic ability for his body type. Big, and room to get even bigger and stronger. Can take over games for short stretches. Has a couple of moves but can bull rush with the best of them. Sky is the limit. Can be equally effective as a NT or as a DT in a 4-3. Is just scratching the surface of his potential. Smart and coachable. Good character. Could become a very good sack-productive DT, but hasnt done it yet.
Stamina and motor are not yet top drawer.
He is powerful at the point of attack and can push lineman around and clog running lanes on the inside. Okoye’s ability to succeed despite his age is a testament to his intensity.
DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler DT 6-2 305 NC-St 1st round
Tyler gets his nickname because he is built like one. His height is only average, but he has a very strong build, and is a load to stop once he gets moving. He shows good quickness off the snap, and the ability to change directions quickly. Tyler also shows the strength to hold his ground at the point of attack and get off the block to make the tackle. Tyler isn’t much of a playmaker. He will stop the run, and can get penetration, but he is not going to get to the quarterback very often. He also needs to work on staying low to the ground as the game goes on, and not rely on his power to make plays.

Read More about Defensive Lineman in the 2007 NFL Draft

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 06, 2006, 11:22:17 PM

I'm starting to lean more toward Joe Thomas over Gaines Adams becuase I think guys like Woodley, Victor Abiamiri or Adam Carriker will be there at the top of R2 and we can kill two birds with one stone.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

creekchub00

Starter

#2 : December 06, 2006, 11:57:47 PM

What about his knee injury, will that come into play when he is in the NFL? Is he injury prone?

I think Woodley would be a solid pick, and potentially our starting DE once Spires is gone, would give us White and Woodley at each end. Not bad.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#3 : December 07, 2006, 02:17:16 AM

I'm starting to lean more toward Joe Thomas over Gaines Adams becuase I think guys like Woodley, Victor Abiamiri or Adam Carriker will be there at the top of R2 and we can kill two birds with one stone.

Problem is, Woodley has had a great season and is almost a lock in my eyes to go in the 1st. Carriker isn't really what we need as a pass rusher. So we're left with hoping Abiamiri is there in the second. IMO Adams and a guy like Sears would be slightly better than Thomas/Abiamiri.

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
#4 : December 07, 2006, 09:10:09 AM

I am by no means a good judge of talent but in the few games I have seen DT Keith Jackson #99 of Arkansas, I liked what I saw. He was very disruptive in the run game and got some pressure on the QB. He is not being mentioned among the elites and could provide good depth for a mid-late round pick.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 07, 2006, 09:13:40 AM

Problem is, Woodley has had a great season and is almost a lock in my eyes to go in the 1st. Carriker isn't really what we need as a pass rusher. So we're left with hoping Abiamiri is there in the second. IMO Adams and a guy like Sears would be slightly better than Thomas/Abiamiri.

Woodley might have a size issue that pushes him down. Carriker is a good pass rusher but he's not the classic high twitch guy. I like Thomas, I like Adams. I like Brnahc. I like Brown. Basically if we get some guy who plays on a line on either side I think things will be going ok for us.

QB is the wildcard in the whole thing.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#6 : December 07, 2006, 10:49:32 AM

IMO our line needs a dominant inside tackle to collapse the pocket if Branch is available grab him. IMO there are going to be several options for DE in FA

watson

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 07, 2006, 10:55:58 AM

Woodley might have a size issue that pushes him down. Carriker is a good pass rusher but he's not the classic high twitch guy. I like Thomas, I like Adams. I like Brnahc. I like Brown. Basically if we get some guy who plays on a line on either side I think things will be going ok for us.

Dal,
I sure hope DL or OL is the selection.  When you look at the QB class this year, does any of these guys jump off the chart for you to the point that you would want them with one of the top 5 picks?  None do for me.  I'm not sure there is a huge difference between any of them that would make you take one of them over one of the top line prospects.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#8 : December 07, 2006, 11:01:06 AM

Hands down Quentin Moses is the best DE in this draft...saw him in person against some pretty good SEC teams....HE IS A FREAK!!

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 07, 2006, 11:13:55 AM

IMO our line needs a dominant inside tackle to collapse the pocket if Branch is available grab him. IMO there are going to be several options for DE in FA

I am warming up to this as well. We can get a DE in FA. There is a guy, Mkristo Bruce who will be lurking around as a potiential safety valve in R2, I really like him. I say take Joe Thomas if he is there and move along with things.

Baghead #2

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#10 : December 07, 2006, 12:33:05 PM

I think if CJ, Thomas and Quinn are gone by the time we pick, we trade back to somewhere in the 1st, pick up more picks, pick up woodley from michigan, then weddle from utah, then leonard from rutgers, then use the rest of the picks on LB, CB, and o line, and maybe a TE

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 07, 2006, 12:37:24 PM

I think if CJ, Thomas and Quinn are gone by the time we pick, we trade back to somewhere in the 1st, pick up more picks, pick up woodley from michigan, then weddle from utah, then leonard from rutgers, then use the rest of the picks on LB, CB, and o line, and maybe a TE

sweet sig!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 07, 2006, 12:49:49 PM

I know it's speculation on my part, but am I the only one that thinks Grads will improve over the summer with a better command of this offense?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 07, 2006, 12:52:09 PM

I know it's speculation on my part, but am I the only one that thinks Grads will improve over the summer with a better command of this offense?

I hope he improves, no where to go but up IMHO. I think he will improve but I think long term, I just don't see Grads doing much. I think he has too many blemishes on his game to contribute as a front line stater. I have had a wait and see approach all year, but I just don't see it. Capable backup, yes, front line stater, no thanks.

Baghead #2

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 07, 2006, 12:54:12 PM

What blemishes does he have that won't get corrected with more of an understanding of where to go with the ball in certain situations?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line Draft Prospects « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools