Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line Draft Prospects « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 07, 2006, 12:57:39 PM

I'm starting to lean more toward Joe Thomas over Gaines Adams becuase I think guys like Woodley, Victor Abiamiri or Adam Carriker will be there at the top of R2 and we can kill two birds with one stone.

What he said   ^^^^^^^

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 07, 2006, 01:05:40 PM

What blemishes does he have that won't get corrected with more of an understanding of where to go with the ball in certain situations?

This debate has been beaten into the ground too many times.

Would you rather grow with say Troy Smith, who we could maybe get in R2 or Bruce Gradkowski?

To me in my estimation Bruce is just vastly overmatched on the field, its on every game tape. He is just overwhelmed out there, I don't see him getting better as this season has progressed and I don't see a future for Grads as a frontline stater. I just don't see it, he has gotten progressively less shaky as the season has gone on.

Grads would need 3-4 years of nonstop clip board holding to even have chance, just my .02

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 07, 2006, 01:15:45 PM

I know it's speculation on my part, but am I the only one that thinks Grads will improve over the summer with a better command of this offense?

I agree with you Chev, but the coaching Staff might go in a different direction.  If they just sign a FA like Garcia and skip on QBs in the draft they would obviously see Grads has a possible longterm solution.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#18 : December 07, 2006, 07:29:10 PM

Woodley might have a size issue that pushes him down. Carriker is a good pass rusher but he's not the classic high twitch guy. I like Thomas, I like Adams. I like Brnahc. I like Brown. Basically if we get some guy who plays on a line on either side I think things will be going ok for us.

QB is the wildcard in the whole thing.

Woodley has had in the past, and may very well by the combine, some good bulk. His height could be an Elvis Dumerville-esque issue. What did I tell you about him though? :D If he's the 6'2 he's billed at, or close to it, he shouldn't have a problem going mid-round 1. He's been all-everything this season. If he were a little more athletic, he'd probably be ahead of Moses IMO right now.

#19 : December 07, 2006, 07:33:52 PM

I'm starting to lean more toward Joe Thomas over Gaines Adams becuase I think guys like Woodley, Victor Abiamiri or Adam Carriker will be there at the top of R2 and we can kill two birds with one stone.

I agree about Joe Thomas but I dont see Woodley making it to round 2

creekchub00

Starter

#20 : December 07, 2006, 09:56:56 PM

Hands down Quentin Moses is the best DE in this draft...saw him in person against some pretty good SEC teams....HE IS A FREAK!!

There is a write up on the link in the first post about him. It will be interesting to see the combine for sure. SEC is a difficult if not the most difficult conference to come out of in college. Interested to see how he will play against all NFL talent though.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 07, 2006, 10:27:36 PM

What he said ^^^^^^^

I am sooo in agreement.  Get a vet FA Center with leadership and some talent ... poof an oline is born. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#22 : December 07, 2006, 10:38:13 PM

Moses might end up being the best DE draft but if Thomas is still on the board when the Bucs pick, there better not be any hesitation from the GruAllen. My hope is that the FO can grab a quality DE during FA.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 08, 2006, 01:11:55 AM

branch would be a good DRAFTEE along with some major FA signs like a end in the Freeny mold or even perhaps signing an old washed up qb like Brett Favre lol ;D

escobar

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 08, 2006, 02:41:28 AM

I'm starting to lean towards drafting Branch with our first pick, grab the best available DE with our first second round pick, grab the best available corner with our 2nd second round pick, then sign Briggs and Hamlin in FA. Our new D would be :

2nd round pick/White
Branch/Wyms
Hovan
Rice

Quarles
Ruud
Briggs

Barber
Kelly
2nd round pick

Allen
Hamlin

I would be fine with drafting another corner with our 3rd round pick or a safety, either one. With the remaining picks draft a speedy WR, a center, a LB, and then best player available for the remainder of the draft.

Oh, and trade for Jerry Porter. That would complete a successful offseason IMO.

creekchub00

Starter

#25 : December 08, 2006, 03:41:15 AM

I don't forsee Rice being in a Bucs uniform next year, unless I am forgetting somthing. Isn't his salary like 10 million dollars? No way he sticks around without restructuring.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 08, 2006, 09:13:49 AM

I don't forsee Rice being in a Bucs uniform next year, unless I am forgetting somthing. Isn't his salary like 10 million dollars? No way he sticks around without restructuring.

Thing is we are way, way, way under the cap even with his deal on the books so why bother to cut him?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 08, 2006, 09:18:31 AM

Moses is not even the best DE on his own team.  With that said Moses is not as bad as people think. 

If Woodley is there at the top of the second round I can see the Bucs pulling the trigger on him.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 08, 2006, 09:45:09 AM

$7.25 million per nflpa.org.  So figuring in his bonus money, I imagine his cap hit is somewhere in the ballpark of $10 million this year.  Still, if the team doesn't wind up trading him away, there probably isn't much point in the team cutting him since they do have cap room.  When healthy, he IS still a heck of a player.  At least in some games.

watson

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 08, 2006, 10:13:37 AM

Problem is, Woodley has had a great season and is almost a lock in my eyes to go in the 1st. Carriker isn't really what we need as a pass rusher. So we're left with hoping Abiamiri is there in the second. IMO Adams and a guy like Sears would be slightly better than Thomas/Abiamiri.

Woodley might have a size issue that pushes him down. Carriker is a good pass rusher but he's not the classic high twitch guy. I like Thomas, I like Adams. I like Brnahc. I like Brown. Basically if we get some guy who plays on a line on either side I think things will be going ok for us.

QB is the wildcard in the whole thing.

I know it's speculation on my part, but am I the only one that thinks Grads will improve over the summer with a better command of this offense?
Chev,
I think that too.  Instead of having to think about it before he makes the play, the repetition and experience will slow down things for him and he will see the field better and be able to anticipate what is going to happen.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line Draft Prospects « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools