Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line Draft Prospects « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

creekchub00

Starter

#30 : December 08, 2006, 11:56:04 AM

Everyone is going to have cap room this season, so if we can cut him and save room, we might just land a bigger FA, and we do have White and Spires still. Could get a OL, LB, or even a younger DE. Rice is still solid, and I stick up for him, but 10 million is alot of money, for someone who might not be our best EVERY down option anymore.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#31 : December 08, 2006, 12:02:51 PM

Detroit will pick Thomas if he is on the board when they are up, and unless Detroit some how wins 2 games in their next 4 they will be picking ahead of us. Forget about Thomas, the only way we'll get him is trading up.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 08, 2006, 12:20:51 PM

Detroit will pick Thomas if he is on the board when they are up, and unless Detroit some how wins 2 games in their next 4 they will be picking ahead of us. Forget about Thomas, the only way we'll get him is trading up.

Not sure I agree with this.  Most of Detriot's OL problems are due to injuries, and they just signed Backus to an extension, so I doubt they go LOT.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 08, 2006, 12:23:31 PM

Not sure I agree with this.  Most of Detriot's OL problems are due to injuries, and they just signed Backus to an extension, so I doubt they go LOT.

I think they will.

Even with the injuries they could use more talent on that o-line.  Thomas and Backus would give them two solid bookends and would allow Martz to fully utilize the offense he wants to run.  If Marinelli and Martz are there next year both would not pass up on a chance to draft a  potential franchise caliber LT most likely.  Both understand the need for a player like that on the trenches.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 08, 2006, 12:26:30 PM

Not sure I agree with this. Most of Detriot's OL problems are due to injuries, and they just signed Backus to an extension, so I doubt they go LOT.

I think they will.

Even with the injuries they could use more talent on that o-line. Thomas and Backus would give them two solid bookends and would allow Martz to fully utilize the offense he wants to run. If Marinelli and Martz are there next year both would not pass up on a chance to draft a potential franchise caliber LT most likely. Both understand the need for a player like that on the trenches.

So you think they move Backus to ROT?  They would probably have to trade him or restructure after 2008 if that's the case, IMO.

2007 1950000.00
2008 2700000.00
2009 4450000.00
2010 4950000.00
2011 5450000.00

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 08, 2006, 01:26:38 PM

I doubt DET can can the hit of paying Backus a ton of jack and then moving him to the ROT where he's really not an ideal fit. DET needs a QB, they have needed one as a franchise since they began.  I have to think that is where they go as the top pick right now.

I think the Joe Thomas discussions are sort of moot if we can't get by AZ since they almost certainly take him if he's there.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 08, 2006, 02:24:14 PM

I doubt DET can can the hit of paying Backus a ton of jack and then moving him to the ROT where he's really not an ideal fit. DET needs a QB, they have needed one as a franchise since they began. I have to think that is where they go as the top pick right now.

I think the Joe Thomas discussions are sort of moot if we can't get by AZ since they almost certainly take him if he's there.

Agreed on all points

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 08, 2006, 02:27:01 PM

Not sure I agree with this. Most of Detriot's OL problems are due to injuries, and they just signed Backus to an extension, so I doubt they go LOT.

I think they will.

Even with the injuries they could use more talent on that o-line. Thomas and Backus would give them two solid bookends and would allow Martz to fully utilize the offense he wants to run. If Marinelli and Martz are there next year both would not pass up on a chance to draft a potential franchise caliber LT most likely. Both understand the need for a player like that on the trenches.

So you think they move Backus to ROT?  They would probably have to trade him or restructure after 2008 if that's the case, IMO.

2007 1950000.00
2008 2700000.00
2009 4450000.00
2010 4950000.00
2011 5450000.00

You have to fork over money for good OL even if they are not playing left tackle so I can see it happening. I mean Detroit could draft a QB but with Martz's history of taking lower drafted QB's I doubt it.  Martz prides himself in being able to develope QB's that are drafted lower or are underafted free agents.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 08, 2006, 02:27:49 PM

I think they will.

I hope they don't but ADW is onto something I think here. They had Pace and came back a few years ago and took Alex Barron in the 1st...

Baghead #2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 08, 2006, 02:29:07 PM

I doubt DET can can the hit of paying Backus a ton of jack and then moving him to the ROT where he's really not an ideal fit. DET needs a QB, they have needed one as a franchise since they began. I have to think that is where they go as the top pick right now.

Arizona is the kicker here for Joe Thomas, no question Dal. If thomas is there and Arizona is picking ahead of us, bye bye Joe Thomas...

Baghead #2

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 08, 2006, 04:08:57 PM

The real question is will Arizona be ahead of us.  Frankly, I don't see the bucs winning again, we will see what Arizona can do.  And if we get a shot at Thomas - well that would be a done deal and really infuse some talent into the Oline.  I really expect the bucs to be picking at 1 or 2 unfortunately.  JMHO.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 08, 2006, 04:53:47 PM

The real question is will Arizona be ahead of us.  Frankly, I don't see the bucs winning again, we will see what Arizona can do.  And if we get a shot at Thomas - well that would be a done deal and really infuse some talent into the Oline.  I really expect the bucs to be picking at 1 or 2 unfortunately.  JMHO.

AZ has 4 tough games down the end: SEA, SF, DEN and SD. They might get  a win legit over SF but since SD likely can't/won't put any distance between IND and themselves they'll be playing in that last game.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 08, 2006, 06:51:42 PM

Hands down Quentin Moses is the best DE in this draft...saw him in person against some pretty good SEC teams....HE IS A FREAK!!

then you must have watched him LAST YEAR.  because he has been a ghost in 2006. 

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 08, 2006, 06:54:24 PM

Moses is not even the best DE on his own team. With that said Moses is not as bad as people think.

If Woodley is there at the top of the second round I can see the Bucs pulling the trigger on him.

if we are talking about 2nd rd type DE's, i like Purdue's Anthony Spencer.  Led the nation in TFLs and less then half of those were sacks, meaning he's a beast against the run too. 

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 08, 2006, 07:10:01 PM

overall, it seems like there is a some good depth in this d-line class but it lacks a true blue-chip stud like Peppers several years ago or Mario last year.  Gaines Adams seems like a guy we should be heavily scouting. rice is ailing and on the downside of his career and spires is average at best.  We need some youth to pair with White, who we should retain.  Gaines Adams finished 2005 strong and had a good season 2006. He's a good pass rusher and he's easily the best DE in this class,  but is that really saying much?  is he really a dominant top 5 caliber player?  because if we take a DE that high, he better be a guy who'll give us multiple double digit sack seasons.  i'm just not completely sold on this guy.  he's a good player and fills arguably our biggest need, but as Dal said earlier, I'm not convinced we should take him in the top 5 if we could still land solid players like Spencer or Woodley in the early 2nd. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Defensive Line Draft Prospects « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools