Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where does Brian Leonard go in the draft? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 07, 2006, 01:57:16 PM

I like Leonard a lot, and I have pimped him quite a bit.   He would be a great addition has a FB, and RB, plus he has soft hands.  Caddy misses having a guy of Brown's caliber in the back-field and Leonard would be a huge boost for our running game.

I would take in at the top of the 2nd if there was a chance he will go elsewhere before our late second round pick.

Top of the 2nd? hmmmm

Scary isn't it! Just think Leoanrd with our 1st 2nd rd pick, yikes!!!!!!!! Scary thought!

There have been FBs that have gone in the second round in the past, our very own A-Train was the 35th pick.  People get far to tied up in draft position and value, remember a large number of 2nd round picks will be flipping burger a few years after draft day.

If you can draft a sure fire starter in the 2nd round then it isn’t a wasted pick.  I would rather spend a 3rd round on Leonard but if the FO want him and they know someone else is targeting him in the 2nd round then they have to make a tough decision.

#31 : December 07, 2006, 02:01:46 PM

There have been FBs that have gone in the second round in the past, our very own A-Train was the 35th pick.  People get far to tied up in draft position and value, remember a large number of 2nd round picks will be flipping burger a few years after draft day.

If you can draft a sure fire starter in the 2nd round then it isn’t a wasted pick.  I would rather spend a 3rd round on Leonard but if the FO want him and they know someone else is targeting him in the 2nd round then they have to make a tough decision.

Well stated and I agree completely. If we end up trading down and acquiring another 1st day pick then I'm definitely all for it with either of our #2's.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 07, 2006, 02:09:39 PM

Leonard is a guy who isn't anything. He's not a FB and he's not a RB. Why would you want to burn a premium pick on a postion that doesn't need a premium pick (FB) or on a backup HB? Frankly, I'm not even sure the guy has a role in the NFL. There are better players to be had at more valuable positions.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 07, 2006, 02:14:02 PM

Personally, I think people are too focused on getting "the next Alstott".  It'd be groovy and all, but I really think it would be a luxury for the team at this point.  If we need a compliment for Caddy, we should be able to find a perfectly serviceable one in the mid-rounds, not a high second.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 07, 2006, 02:16:38 PM

Personally, I think people are too focused on getting "the next Alstott".  It'd be groovy and all, but I really think it would be a luxury for the team at this point.  If we need a compliment for Caddy, we should be able to find a perfectly serviceable one in the mid-rounds, not a high second.

We'd get more value using a 5th on the best real FB in the draft becuase that guy'd make Caddy look many times better than another Alstott RB/FB hybrid.l

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 07, 2006, 02:20:27 PM

We'd get more value using a 5th on the best real FB in the draft becuase that guy'd make Caddy look many times better than another Alstott RB/FB hybrid.l

Agreed. Or finding a true FB in FA, if one exists. Heck, Sowell might be the guy, perhaps he'll get more reps in front of Caddy.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 07, 2006, 02:29:19 PM

I like Leonard a lot, and I have pimped him quite a bit.   He would be a great addition has a FB, and RB, plus he has soft hands.  Caddy misses having a guy of Brown's caliber in the back-field and Leonard would be a huge boost for our running game.

I would take in at the top of the 2nd if there was a chance he will go elsewhere before our late second round pick.

Top of the 2nd? hmmmm

Scary isn't it! Just think Leoanrd with our 1st 2nd rd pick, yikes!!!!!!!! Scary thought!

There have been FBs that have gone in the second round in the past.

Yeah and I would think those teams did not have the holes that we have...

Baghead #2

#37 : December 07, 2006, 02:36:25 PM

Leonard is a guy who isn't anything. He's not a FB and he's not a RB. Why would you want to burn a premium pick on a postion that doesn't need a premium pick (FB) or on a backup HB? Frankly, I'm not even sure the guy has a role in the NFL. There are better players to be had at more valuable positions.

I think if we end up with 3 2nd round picks (the thrid maybe coming from trading down a bit in the first round) and are able to address either DE or WR (or maybe LT) through FA, then Leonard would be a great pick with that Colts 2nd rounder, if we can get him.

IMO, he can be a FB.  I think he's a good blocker, who can improve at that spot, and he gives Gruden a dimension at that position that can really expand what he can do.  He would be a really good safety valve for whatever QB we have in there.  Screens and other short routes would be great as well, then you can also mix him into the running game a bit.  I'm not talking more than 5 to maybe 15 maximum touches a game.

IMO, he would be a good pick, if we can address other more pressing spots earlier in the draft and FA.

#38 : December 07, 2006, 02:39:11 PM

I don't think that Leonard is the next Alsttot.  I do think:

1) That he can be a good lead blocker (and thus, a true FB).
2) That he can add a dimension to the offense that would be incredibly useful when plays break down.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 07, 2006, 02:41:46 PM

I just don't see this coming to fruition, I don't. There just really is not a pressing need for Leonard IMHO. I think he is great and yaddy yaddy ya but lets be realistic here, we have holes across the board from center to you name it. I can't see us spending a pick on Leonard. Guys we have holes all over the world on defense and our offensive guys we have taken (clayton, walker) aren't performing and Galloway is getting older and we have me at center. Spending a 2nd round pick would make zero sense to me once you factor in the state of the union on this team and the holes we have.

Baghead #2

#40 : December 07, 2006, 03:01:11 PM

Cville, you are right,  we have many holes.....one of them being someone to catch the ball outta the backfield. I think he fits the bill quite nicely.

#41 : December 07, 2006, 03:08:59 PM

Personally, I think people are too focused on getting "the next Alstott".  It'd be groovy and all, but I really think it would be a luxury for the team at this point.  If we need a compliment for Caddy, we should be able to find a perfectly serviceable one in the mid-rounds, not a high second.

I don't think that Leonard is the next Alsttot.  I do think:

1) That he can be a good lead blocker (and thus, a true FB).
2) That he can add a dimension to the offense that would be incredibly useful when plays break down.

Yes Leonard is a true fullback however he is also a slasher who has H-Back speed. So No he isnt a Mike Allstott he is everything Mike Allstott has been working on for so long to become.

Like I said lets say we do get a DE first (Adams/Moses), draft a Reggie Nelson/Griffin with our first second round pick, then get a Brain Leonard with that last 2nd rounder I wouldnt be mad about it. Especially sine our 2nd 2nd rounder will just be about the same as a early third rounder.

Also I would like to see us in this senerio

Trade our #1 to a Washington Redskins maybe...drop to 10-15 get a Quentin Moses pick up an additional 2nd rounder that puts us with 3 second round draft picks...we get a PHENOMINAL DE in Moses then go wild in the second round with Nelson/Leonard/etc...

This is always contingent on 3 things
1)We have a high enough pick to allow a trade so a team could have a chance at a Calvin Johnson
2) A team like a Washington wants CJ
3) Gruden doesnt fall in love with CJ himself

Because I dont see anyonemaking a deal like that for anyone but CJ

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 07, 2006, 03:13:50 PM

Even if the wacky trade scenario works why do we want to go bonkers on a FB when we could get other more useful guys? In R2 go get a C, CB and S long before you go nuts with a FB pick.

You guys watch these power runners vs college players and think that transfers to the NFL. Leonard might run over guys at BC and Pitt but not NE and PIT in the NFL.  You are tlaking about a novelty player not an every down contributor. I like novelty on day 2 not in round 2.

#43 : December 07, 2006, 03:16:30 PM

I bet Chicago fans said the same thing about Hester in round two....sometimes you have to reach to get the guys you want. That is if Gruden/Allen wants Brian

Also I think in terms of a guy that could transition his game to the Pros I think Brian will have ZERO trouble

#44 : December 07, 2006, 06:14:07 PM

I haven't seen a lot of Rutgers, only bits here and there. Saw him catching the ball well and a few tough runs, but how's his blocking?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0UmZmliWhtM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qVfdzDGgk-0
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where does Brian Leonard go in the draft? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools