Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where does Brian Leonard go in the draft? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 07, 2006, 06:43:38 PM

Early second round is a huge stretch but I can definitely see the Buccs drafting him with the late 2nd or early 3rd.  We have a huge void in the back-field and Leonard would fit the offense well IMO.

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#46 : December 07, 2006, 10:03:45 PM

In the offseason, I see the FO spending a lot of money trying to revamp the defense. From the looks of it, there will be some quality defensive FA out there in the offseason. The last thing that the team needs is their hands to be forced in the draft because of the many needs the team has.

As for Leonard,  I woudn't want the team spending one of their second or their early third on it but if Allen can pull of a trade to get another third, I woudn't mind having Leonard in Pewter and Red. As a pass catcher, he is just below Pittman and as a blocker, he is what everyone in this Board wanted Razzano to be. Against the defenses that he's faced, he is a briuising back, not quite Mike Alstott but he has shown alot of power and speed in the open. But like Dal said, the guy could end up being a Ron Dayne in the running department, although I don't think that will end up happening. The way I see it, it would be nice to have a guy like him in the Backfield with Caddy. As of right now, Caddy still doesn't have soft hands which makes him a one dimensional back. With a true fullback that has Pittmanesque hands and decent power to run over some people, it might give whoever's QB next season a good outlet and might possibly help Caddy in the run game as well.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#47 : December 07, 2006, 10:06:27 PM

I dont want leonard because i think he is the next alstott, i want leonard on the bucs because i think he would be a asset to this team, most teams use 2 rb's to punish the other team, thats what we need and dont have right now

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#48 : December 07, 2006, 10:22:19 PM

Simply put, Leonard is a better than useable fullback, he is faster than given credit for, he can catch anything, he destroys, and stones people when he blocks, and if he gets into the flats and it is him and a DB, I feel awfully bad for the DB.  He is a true fullback, but given his skill set, he can be a threat with his legs.  Sorry if his speed belies his role, but not ALL fb's are slow.  And comping him to Ron Dayne is silly.  I never seen Dayne catch anything, nor block anyone worth a damn.  A Leonard is much faster than Dayne, even if Leonard ran on two left legs.

Problem is, the Bucs have more pressing needs, but in any other year, using the early second on this kid wouldn't dissapoint any Buc fans that want to see the run game flourish, the the chains moved more often...

The kid is an athlete and a half.  Period.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#49 : December 07, 2006, 10:23:05 PM

That is the issue Cville, while we don't know what the bucs will fill via FA, the draft is the place where the bucs need to shine this year.  And that will be the unsexy picks of a dlineman or two, and perhaps another OT.  

Until those roles are filled there just is not the luxury of picking Leonard as much as I and so many others like him.  From all reports he is character, intensity and talent all over.  Hope we can find the OTs and DTs that have those characteristics.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#50 : December 07, 2006, 10:24:29 PM

That is the issue Cville, while we don't know what the bucs will fill via FA, the draft is the place where the bucs need to shine this year.  And that will be the unsexy picks of a dlineman or two, and perhaps another OT. 

Until those roles are filled there just is not the luxury of picking Leonard as much as I and so many others like him.  From all reports he is character, intensity and talent all over.  Hope we can find the OTs and DTs that have to characteristics. 
Exactly.

Put damn is Leonard an awesome athlete!

#51 : December 08, 2006, 02:17:38 PM

That is the issue Cville, while we don't know what the bucs will fill via FA, the draft is the place where the bucs need to shine this year.  And that will be the unsexy picks of a dlineman or two, and perhaps another OT. 

Until those roles are filled there just is not the luxury of picking Leonard as much as I and so many others like him.  From all reports he is character, intensity and talent all over.  Hope we can find the OTs and DTs that have those characteristics. 

What people dont see is that Brian wont just be a luxury...he would have a key role in this offense. He would give gruden the thunder and lightning he has always been trying to get here. He will catch passes in the flat and make positive yards.

Brian will put on MAN weight...he will be a punishing back. However he has the speed of a H-Back also.

Reminds me a lot of Tyrone Wheatley..great size/speed

acacius

Hall of Famer

#52 : December 08, 2006, 02:30:42 PM

He would give gruden the thunder and lightning he has always been trying to get here.

I'm not sure I've seen any evidence that Gruden has ever tried to get a thunder and lightning combination here.

TDTB

Second String

#53 : December 08, 2006, 04:29:15 PM

If he's the best player available on the board snatch him up. He'd be in on at least 60-70% of the offensive plays if Gruden truly wants to develop a run-first team.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#54 : December 08, 2006, 04:34:06 PM

Until those roles are filled there just is not the luxury of picking Leonard as much as I and so many others like him.  From all reports he is character, intensity and talent all over.  Hope we can find the OTs and DTs that have those characteristics. 

What people dont see is that Brian wont just be a luxury...he would have a key role in this offense. He would give gruden the thunder and lightning he has always been trying to get here. He will catch passes in the flat and make positive yards.

Brian will put on MAN weight...he will be a punishing back. However he has the speed of a H-Back also.

Reminds me a lot of Tyrone Wheatley..great size/speed

No doubt he will be all you said - maybe.  But if the Oline can't block and the Dline can't pressure - well that is why I used the word luxury.  No doubt great RBs make average Olines look great and vice versa.  But I have never seen a RB make a poor oline look good, and without pressure dline - well we need to break the rules and field more than 11 if bucs are sticking with Monte's d. 

So, it would be great to get him, but I don't see how until we get the line issues addressed more fully.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TDTB

Second String

#55 : December 08, 2006, 04:39:56 PM

The fact is if we brought him onto the team his first responsabillity, and second, would be BLOCKING. He's very good at it however. Next would be as a reciever, then finally running the ball. He would not be used like A-train.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where does Brian Leonard go in the draft? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools