Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Being Frugal Pay Off? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

: March 30, 2008, 10:37:39 PM

There are never any Tiger Woods Free agents... The equal to  Tiger woods in the NFL would be LT, or Tom Brady... Guys like that NEVER hit the open market
Randy Moss, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Asante Samue, lAdalius Thomas...

While I do agree nothing good hit the market THIS year (except Samuel altho high priced) ... stars can be free agents or tradable

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 31, 2008, 11:31:42 AM

That isn't what he said...  Why do people on this board consistently twist this quote.

Because they hear what they want to hear. What he actually said has been explained over and over here, and yet they still don't pay attention.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 30, 2008, 06:12:20 PM

Tampa Bay claimed there second division title in three years, and third under head coach Jon Gruden. After being bounced out of the first round of the playoffs by the eventual Super Bowl champions, the Glazers decided that they had seen enough positive gains on and off the football field with the overall direction that the team was headed. That it warranted them dueling out three year contract extensions to both Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen.

There were signs of discontent resonating from One Buc Place when the team failed to offer former assistant head coach Art Valero a new contract. The halls were filled with staunch criticism, when Valero threw verbal jabs an openly criticized the way Gruden handled input from his assistant coaches.

Shortly after the season had ended, GM Bruce Allen held his annual State of the Buccaneers address, indicating the team was looking for playmakers or more specifically ‘Tiger Woods” type playmakers.

Striking while the iron was hot the team pounced on free agent center Jeff Faine, signing him to a 6 year contract, making him the highest paid center in the league. Faine could be a stabilizing force at center for a young offensive line that has endured growing pains.

With rumors of playmakers being courted by the team surfacing, they stood pat in there philosophy of adding high character wholesome football players at bargain basement prices to add depth, while giving the bottom half of the roster a makeover.

Weather or not being tight fisted and frugal with the new found cap surplus will pay off remains a mystery.

The team still has plenty of holes to fill on both side of the pigskin. Needing to find away to add speed on the corners at both receiver and corner back, still remains a high priority, while also finding explosive playmakers for the defensive line.

Since most of the middle tier free agents were signing blockbuster deals, for below average production the team refused to get into bidding wars for less then stellar talent at ridiculous prices.

With five picks in hand the team will focus on finding playmakers through the draft, hoping they can find that diamond in the rough that can contribute to the team from the onset.

Should the team fail or flounder on the field with it’s approach to free agency and the draft they could be in trouble. Relying on aging veterans in the twilight of there careers could turn into a 1920’s horror flick for the organization.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#3 : March 30, 2008, 08:42:53 PM

thats why I feel they will get their playmakers in this draft...starting with Chris Johnson and then sometime in the draft adding a wr burner like Avery or Royal and topping it off with Josh Johnson in the 2nd rd...hows that for 3 playmakers.

#4 : March 30, 2008, 08:51:01 PM

Garcia and Galloway......living on borrowed time!!!

dm4bucs

Starter
#5 : March 30, 2008, 08:53:11 PM

thats why I feel they will get their playmakers in this draft...starting with Chris Johnson and then sometime in the draft adding a wr burner like Avery or Royal and topping it off with Josh Johnson in the 2nd rd...hows that for 3 playmakers.

I'd be happy with royal/avery and josh johnson after the first round, but i have a hard time seeing us taking chris johnson in the first round IMO, unless it's mendenhall or maybe stewart.  I think we may draft a rb in the draft but more like in the 4th like a tashard choice, matt forte, or j. charles.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#6 : March 30, 2008, 08:54:30 PM

I'd rather not draft a RB.

But I agree.

This team needs a bigtime outside threat to eventually replace Galloway.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#7 : March 30, 2008, 09:02:32 PM

indicating the team was looking for playmakers or more specifically ‘Tiger Woods” type playmakers.

That isn't what he said...  Why do people on this board consistently twist this quote.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 30, 2008, 09:24:47 PM

There were NO "Tiger Woods" FA out there.  Do live and die on a sound bite?  Frugal or smart? We are being complimented on how we handled FA by the national NFL people, it's our own people doing the crtiticizing, which is no surprise, unfortunately.  Ignorance run rampant.

#9 : March 30, 2008, 09:50:51 PM

We are being complimented on how we handled FA by the national NFL people, it's our own people doing the crtiticizing, which is no surprise, unfortunately. Ignorance run rampant.

I listen to several of the national shows on Sirius daily and don't hear all the compliments that you do from the "national people". What I have heard is that we've done little to upgrade an already mundane offense devoid of playmakers.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#10 : March 30, 2008, 09:51:25 PM

There are never any Tiger Woods Free agents... The equal to  Tiger woods in the NFL would be LT, or Tom Brady... Guys like that NEVER hit the open market

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#11 : March 30, 2008, 11:03:03 PM

Just who are all the playmakers we sould have added? Be realistic. Who would've fit well into our sytem?
Do you "Hate" think we should have signed Samuel for the contract he signed for? Who else?

#12 : March 30, 2008, 11:11:05 PM

Just who are all the playmakers we sould have added? Be realistic. Who would've fit well into our sytem?
Do you "Hate" think we should have signed Samuel for the contract he signed for? Who else?

I would've like to see us make a play for either Berrian or Stallworth.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 30, 2008, 11:21:55 PM

does it ever pay off?

we didn't learn after our 2002 and 2005 seasons, why would we learn after our 2007 season.  We didn't really stand pat, but on paper, I really didn't see us go anywhere.  We did add some players that could surprise like Ben Troupe, Warrick Dunn, and Antonio Bryant, but they could also be non-factors....

So far the Falcons and Panthers really didn't do anything to better their team and the Saints added Vilma, so I think we'll be alright next year.

SwarmingDefense

Pro Bowler
#14 : March 30, 2008, 11:24:51 PM

There are never any Tiger Woods Free agents... The equal to  Tiger woods in the NFL would be LT, or Tom Brady... Guys like that NEVER hit the open market
Randy Moss, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, Asante Samue, lAdalius Thomas...

While I do agree nothing good hit the market THIS year (except Samuel altho high priced) ... stars can be free agents or tradable

everyone is discounting who Tiger Woods is.  Tiger woods might be the most dominant golfer to ever play the sport.  He constantly smash the competition into pieces.
There are very few players that in the NFL that are as great at football as Tiger is to golf. Randy Moss, Drew Brees,, Asante Samuel, Adalius Thomas... ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Tiger woods like FA would be like Reggie White, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, not Asante Samuel or Drew Brees

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Being Frugal Pay Off? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools