Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Being Frugal Pay Off? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 30, 2008, 11:30:31 PM

Just who are all the young playmakers on the Bucs roster that need to be re-signed?  Being frugal to do what Seattle did (Re-signed Trufant and Lofa) I can understand to an extent.

If the Bucs can't re-sign Ruud nor Buchanon then being frugal doesn't work if you can't re-sign even your own players and at the same time take a passive stance in free agency.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#16 : March 30, 2008, 11:59:16 PM

The Bucs are going to build through the draft and there are no way around that. Bruce Allen is stubborn and set in his ways. He has been sitting pat on any free agent the team deams not worthy of their money. We'll see how that changes next year when Jared Allen and Terrell Suggs might be available but for right now our offseason is going like the Eagles is. We moved fast to sign one guy we felt we needed (Faine) and then built depth on the roster. I'm not as concerned about injuries except at QB because this team seems set on building Depth with seasoned veterans. It might not sound good that these guys are 30 and older but they've been in the game for a long time and should have a good grasp of the game and some saavy. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 31, 2008, 12:03:01 AM

I have never been a fan of the Gold standard (Eagles) model.

#18 : March 31, 2008, 12:20:24 AM

I have never been a fan of the Gold standard (Eagles) model.

I'm with u..... and their fans aren't happy either. Last time I checked, their trophy case was empty.

Plank

Starter

#19 : March 31, 2008, 12:30:51 AM

There were very few good players in this free agent market (we all knew where Samuel and Moss would sign). The front office thought the only must have was Faine and paid him. They obviously felt the rest of the market wasn't enough of an upgrade to our team to pay for. I agree with that. We kept the cap space open to extend our good young players ( Ruud, P-Buc) and still have enough space to pull a big trade should one come up. You guys act like Peyton Manning was available or something.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#20 : March 31, 2008, 11:12:29 AM

I agree Boid... I think Bryant will surprise alot of people. I believe we have a solid team and the draft will just be icing on top

I'm not possitve but didn't Bryant have a 1,000 yard season in Ceveland with Garcia throwing im the Ball?

Garcia was in DET in 2005

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 31, 2008, 01:51:27 AM

The Bucs upgraded the offense by adding Faine, Troupe and an equally enigmatic Bryant.  I mean if Bryant and Troupe strike a pose, this offense can be NASTY, especially since Garcia can benefit from a few tenths longer in pass pro (See Faine), and Troupe is a big guy who should hit the field quite a bit (if healthy), and Bryant is a bonafide talent (when not being ignorant).  The Bucs added some serious talent to the special teams department.  The defense is better because Gaines is 1 year better, and flashed hardcore in the second half of the season, White is a proven beast (his numbers are very very good), Douglas can be a sparkplug for this offense, Sims has played better under Coyer, Sabby might be able to push the secondary even harder (enigma), Eugene Wilson is good at what he does, and will be better with Heem coaching him, and Graham/Bennett/Dunn is a solid stable of RBs.

I have a ton of faith in this years team.  Of course, they have a bullseye on their back now (being a division winner).

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#22 : March 31, 2008, 02:11:21 AM

Also, consider the BUcs get to play the Dirtybirds twice (and they suck), and they get to play Carolina twice (and I think they will destroy them).

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : March 31, 2008, 02:03:19 AM

I respectfully disagree, Finky. I don't see how this offense can be ''nasty'' even if Bryant stays out of trouble and Troupe returns to his peak value. Even then, you're lucky if it's cracking the top 10. Realistically, we need to add more speed on offense in the draft or be somewhere in the middle of the pack IMHO.

In Verner We Trust

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 31, 2008, 02:04:10 AM

Couldn't agree more Boid.

but with that said I still hope the Bucs can get at least a little offensive help in the draft (Im talking little, like 450 yards out of a WR)

and maybe a little bit more of a pass rush

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#25 : March 31, 2008, 02:06:11 AM

So basically there are two things I want in April

a WR

and a DL who can pressure the QB

Whether it be a new NT, a situational DE, Tweener guy whatever

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : March 31, 2008, 02:08:20 AM

Absolutely, Sunny. A pass rusher and a speedy WR, who can contribute at least a little bit are necessities. I'm not asking for an 1,000-yard guy as a rookie. But even one who catches 30 balls for 450 yards would be a major asset.

In Verner We Trust

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#27 : March 31, 2008, 02:08:46 AM

I respectfully disagree, Finky. I don't see how this offense can be ''nasty'' even if Bryant stays out of trouble and Troupe returns to his peak value. Even then, you're lucky if it's cracking the top 10. Realistically, we need to add more speed on offense in the draft or be somewhere in the middle of the pack IMHO.
Well I respectfully respect your grievance.  "Nasty" is a subjective term.  IF the Bucs finish ranked #12 in overall offense, and given the nature of the defense, this team will win another title, and go deeper in the playoffs, I am sure of it.

Garcia is a good QB, Galloway and BRyant, with Troupe and Smith, throw in Sears, Pettigout, Faine, Joseph, Blood, Graham, and I think this offense is going to wear people out, and make DBs nervous.

This is Bryants last chance.  He knows it, his MOMMA knows it, and he is a very bright kid (despite being ignorant...two different aspects, but I digress).  He will be able to digest a Gruden playbook because he is a smart study, a very very bright young man IQ wise.  I have always thought he was a good WR.  I cannot wait to see him hit the field.  And he will. (Fingers crossed)

Troupe is BIg.  Gimore is faster and a blocker.  Too many role players it looks like.  But a better team I see.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : March 31, 2008, 02:11:49 AM

Hope you're right. I'd take a 12th. Some others wouldn't. But given that five of our seven losses were by two TDs or less and that four were by eight points or less, moving up just that much could mean 11 wins and a 3 seed or even 11 wins and (by a tiebreaker) a 2 seed. I'd certainly take that.

In Verner We Trust

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : March 31, 2008, 02:25:47 AM

Also, consider the BUcs get to play the Dirtybirds twice (and they suck), and they get to play Carolina twice (and I think they will destroy them).

I think the NFCS will be much more competitive than it was last year

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will Being Frugal Pay Off? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools