Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joel Glazer - "The key to any sports team we believe is stability" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

: March 31, 2008, 10:01:04 PM

Maybe my expectations have gotten too high. I was expecting to be a legit contender, and an organization to be feared by now. We aren't close to that yet. Gruden was supposed to be our savior. The coaching prodigy. All we heard was how the offense would change, and it's still the same. Maybe he will end up being the coach for the next 15 years, with 3 Superbowl titles and I'll look back at how foolish I was. The Glazers aren't rich because they're stupid, so if they have ultimate confidence in Jon, then I guess I have to too. That excerpt doesn't sound like the 3 year teaser that would end up being one and done, it sounds like they feel Jon will be here for the long haul and succeed. I guess we'll see.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#1 : March 31, 2008, 09:58:05 PM

I agree with your comments after that keeponbucn... This was a good move for the franchise and it was a decision that needed to be made here in Tampa. We won our division three times in the past 6 years, and the rest of the NFC south have all won the division once if I am correct. Seems like Gruden is doing something right to win the division 3 times more than any other team :)

superbuc

Practice Squad
#2 : March 31, 2008, 09:56:07 PM

Straight from the top, this is exactly what most Buc fans have said about keeping the HC and GM. They deserved it, Joel knows what the deal is. He's not caught up in emotional outbursts and decisions.

Thank you Joel, that was a pointed answer to a topic that divides some of the fanbase.

Exactly....a sophisticated smackdown. ;)

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 31, 2008, 09:50:28 PM

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/31/q-bucs-owner-joel-glazer/?sports-bucs

Q: Why did ownership feel Jon Gruden and Bruce Allen merited 3-year extensions after a 9-8 season?

A: The key to any sports team we believe is stability, especially in the NFL. When you make changes, it's like turning around an ocean liner. It's just not easy. Jon has won the division three of the past six years. We had won our division only once in the previous 20 years of the franchise. I think this season far exceeded most people's expectations. The key is the way we're going about this. Jon and Bruce have taken the approach that we're going to draft, develop and reward the guys that develop and grow this team the right way. We're a couple of years into that. We had to go through a cycle. After the Super Bowl, we didn't have a lot of draft picks. Now we've come out of that cycle. Bruce has done an outstanding job dealing with the salary cap issues and the draft the last couple of years. Our salary cap position is the envy of most teams in the NFL. And we're well set up for the future to build the team the way we want to build it.

Straight from the top, this is exactly what most Buc fans have said about keeping the HC and GM. They deserved it, Joel knows what the deal is. He's not caught up in emotional outbursts and decisions.

Thank you Joel, that was a pointed answer to a topic that divides some of the fanbase.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#4 : March 31, 2008, 10:04:50 PM

Drafting has to improve drastically if they want to use that model in acquiring talent for the most part.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 01, 2008, 07:09:27 AM

Jon has won the division three of the past six years. We had won our division only once in the previous 20 years of the franchise.
I think that is a bit disingenuous and glosses over the fact that while Tony Dungy did not win divisions to the extent Gruden has, he still went to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years and only had one losing season. It's not like we're experiencing unprecedented winning now.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 01, 2008, 07:18:11 AM

Glazer's comments is what I've sensed all along. The Glazers realize that Allen/Gruden & Kiffin are some of the best at their positions, that they work well together and that they are now in sound financial and operational shape. It's now a well run business with a competetive team, tons of cap space and all of their draft picks, all while retooling the team and winning 3 division titles in six years. oh yeah, and a Super Bowl. And BTW, my opinion and all of us on this boards mean nothing, only the glazers do.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 01, 2008, 07:53:41 AM

The Glazers aren't rich because they're stupid, so if they have ultimate confidence in Jon, then I guess I have to too.

Well said, the Glazer's know what they're doing.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#8 : April 01, 2008, 08:33:39 AM

They are the owners, they like who they like and will continue to support Jon. They will never really lose money, even if the stadium isn't a sellout. So if they are happy with average then I suppose we are stuck with average. About the division, the NFC South is a different animal than the old NFC Central was. The NFC South is comprised of 4 franchises that are at best average historically. The Falcons.. well we know they have never had back to back winning seasons, the Saints up until 1987 didn't finish above 500 and have not been a model of consistency, the Panthers not to many years ago had a 1-15 season. While in the NFC Central, you had the Lions, who had Barry Sanders for 10 years, you had the Bears who had one of the best teams of all time and one of the best defense's and running backs for many years, you had the Vikings which were for the most part a very good team and in 1998 went 15-1 with their only regular season loss coming to Tony Dungy and the Buccaneers and then you have the Packers, which throughout Dungy's tenure here had Favre as QB and a team that made 2 straight superbowl appearance's. So comparing those 2 divisions is well not really even close.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 01, 2008, 08:57:53 AM

They are the owners, they like who they like and will continue to support Jon. They will never really lose money, even if the stadium isn't a sellout. So if they are happy with average then I suppose we are stuck with average. About the division, the NFC South is a different animal than the old NFC Central was. The NFC South is comprised of 4 franchises that are at best average historically. The Falcons.. well we know they have never had back to back winning seasons, the Saints up until 1987 didn't finish above 500 and have not been a model of consistency, the Panthers not to many years ago had a 1-15 season. While in the NFC Central, you had the Lions, who had Barry Sanders for 10 years, you had the Bears who had one of the best teams of all time and one of the best defense's and running backs for many years, you had the Vikings which were for the most part a very good team and in 1998 went 15-1 with their only regular season loss coming to Tony Dungy and the Buccaneers and then you have the Packers, which throughout Dungy's tenure here had Favre as QB and a team that made 2 straight superbowl appearance's. So comparing those 2 divisions is well not really even close.

LOL, so now that the Glazer's have spoken you have to then compare the divisions to stab Jon. Man, you're reaching

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 01, 2008, 09:03:26 AM

LOL, so now that the Glazer's have spoken you have to then compare the divisions to stab Jon. Man, you're reaching
No, Joel Glazer made it a point to speak of division titles like this is an unprecedented run of success for the franchise but the fact is 3 times Tony Dungy finished with a record of 9-7 or better and didn't win the division so the NFC South clearly is a different animal than the old NFC Central.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 01, 2008, 09:08:21 AM

No, Joel Glazer made it a point to speak of division titles like this is an unprecedented run of success for the franchise but the fact is 3 times Tony Dungy finished with a record of 9-7 or better and didn't win the division so the NFC South clearly is a different animal than the old NFC Central.

You guys are grasping here, the fact of the matter is division titles aren't easy to win in any division. I find it odd that now you clowns are saying the NFC South is weak when just recently it was one of the best in the NFL. The Central has been garbage for the past 5 years until this past one.

Ever think that the reason it was difficult to win the Central is because the Bucs sucked out loud forever? So now you're going to diminish the NFC South titles in any way that you can.

This is a first, this POV about the different strenghts of the division from the Central and the South has not been brought up before. All that tells me is that you are grasping for anything to stab Jon, anything, because Joel put his foot on all of your fires. Get real man, you guys have lost it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 01, 2008, 09:09:03 AM

True but there were three wild cards back then so it is difficult to compare the current division structure with the past.

If winning divisions is satisfactory with the Glazers then it seems the past goals that Dungy had to reach are not the same for Gruden currently.  

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 01, 2008, 09:12:27 AM

If winning divisions is satisfactory with the Glazers then it seems the past goals that Dungy had to reach are not the same for Gruden currently. 

That's an incorrect interpretation of what he said. With the cap and lack of draft picks the owner's had a realistic view of the future and the road back to building the team from the foundation. Rebuilding a team is difficult and this FO has won 2 division titles while in the process. Joel is realistic and logcial, some traits I wish Buc fans had.

#14 : April 01, 2008, 09:16:27 AM

Jon has won the division three of the past six years. We had won our division only once in the previous 20 years of the franchise.
I think that is a bit disingenuous and glosses over the fact that while Tony Dungy did not win divisions to the extent Gruden has, he still went to the playoffs 4 out of 6 years and only had one losing season. It's not like we're experiencing unprecedented winning now.

FRG - I get what you're saying here, but you've taken this out of the context in which it was said...  to support a subjective view point.  The bolded statement, taken in context with what Joel said, is simply stating that "...Jon won the division.."  3 of 6 times with a lot of other factors in place.  

I think the most important thing that was said (for Gruden supporters and haters alike) is:

"...The key is the way we're going about this. Jon and Bruce have taken the approach that we're going to draft, develop and reward the guys that develop and grow this team the right way. We're a couple of years into that. We had to go through a cycle."

That tells me that everyone on the same page, and their is little or no excuse for more success.  Nothing more, Nothing less.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joel Glazer - "The key to any sports team we believe is stability" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools