Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joel Glazer - "The key to any sports team we believe is stability" « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#120 : April 03, 2008, 04:03:30 PM

But that's the direction the people getting paid millions decided to roll with. You can call them stupid or whatever else but you and I are on a MESSAGE BOARD. You have no clue how to run an NFL team, at all.
OK. Everyone log off their computers and PR please shut down this board. Since none of us will ever run NFL teams it is pointless to talk about how we think things should be.

Except you and others act like you know better than the people running the show. That's my point, not to stop all questioning of decisions.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#121 : April 03, 2008, 05:04:50 PM

Damn - tens of thousands of hats sold and lines to Bearss to pick them up - and it didn't mean anything - or are you just talking about the Division title won since Gruden became HC. 
Funny you brought that up, as I was going to use this same argument the other way.  Do you own a NFCS Champs shirt or hat?  I've never seen anyone wear one of these for any team.  Conference champs, yes.  SB champs, of course.  Division champs?  Never seen it.

Again, this argument is Gruden-agnostic for me.  I've always felt division titles were meaningless, even moreso with only 4 teams in a division.

See if you can answer this quickly without looking it up:  How many division titles did Marino lead the Dolphins to win?  I bet most people can't answer that, but most folks can tell you how many Superbowls he's been to and how many he's won.

People want a team that's competitive in the playoffs.  That is often a division champ, but not always.  As I've pointed out before, look at the 2005 season.  Hell, at least half the people you ask (even sports professionals) think the Panthers won our division that year.  And they might as well have, as they were the ones competing for the conference, not the Bucs.  Which would you rather have?  Two of the last three Superbowls have been won by wild-card teams.  I'm sure their fans don't care that they didn't win the division.

Well said.  This perfectly highlights the low standards held for Gruden/Allen vs. other coaches in the game.

(Insert random excuses and reasons why 02 was all Gruden, 03 was KJ's Fault, 04 was McKay's fault, 05 was all Gruden/Allen, 06 was Grad/McKay's fault, and 07 was all Gruden/Allen)

Runole

Hall of Famer
#122 : April 04, 2008, 03:59:17 PM

Damn - tens of thousands of hats sold and lines to Bearss to pick them up - and it didn't mean anything - or are you just talking about the Division title won since Gruden became HC. 
Funny you brought that up, as I was going to use this same argument the other way.  Do you own a NFCS Champs shirt or hat?  I've never seen anyone wear one of these for any team.  Conference champs, yes.  SB champs, of course.  Division champs?  Never seen it.

Again, this argument is Gruden-agnostic for me.  I've always felt division titles were meaningless, even moreso with only 4 teams in a division.

See if you can answer this quickly without looking it up:  How many division titles did Marino lead the Dolphins to win?  I bet most people can't answer that, but most folks can tell you how many Superbowls he's been to and how many he's won.

People want a team that's competitive in the playoffs.  That is often a division champ, but not always.  As I've pointed out before, look at the 2005 season.  Hell, at least half the people you ask (even sports professionals) think the Panthers won our division that year.  And they might as well have, as they were the ones competing for the conference, not the Bucs.  Which would you rather have?  Two of the last three Superbowls have been won by wild-card teams.  I'm sure their fans don't care that they didn't win the division.

Understand the point but the current divisional set ups have not been in place that long.   The T-Shirts will catch up eventually.
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joel Glazer - "The key to any sports team we believe is stability" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools