Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFl Draft Redeux « previous next »
Page: 1 2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

: December 07, 2006, 02:31:04 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/12/04/draft.redo.part3/index.html

He goes back and redrafts based on what we know now the picks for this year.

Needless to say, Davin isn't on the list but here's the revised pick for us:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
JOHNATHAN JOSEPH, CB, Soputh Carolina
Original pick: Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma
The Bucs need to start replenishing their defense, and the secondary is a good place to give some first-round attention. Joseph has display great ability to break on the ball and stick close to receivers in coverage this season in Cincinnati.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 07, 2006, 03:10:52 PM

I just can't get down with looking back with 20/20. I disagree with Don. At the time the Bucs need was OG and OT and they filled that need. Looking back McNeil was the right move but I love the Davin pick still.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 07, 2006, 03:54:32 PM

Sure, he'd have to put on a bit of to play DE weight even for us, but I'd still have gone with Lawson in that revised draft.

gone

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 07, 2006, 04:22:41 PM

The problem with this is threefold:
1) there's no way to predict injury, so nothing wrong with where we picked a CB
2) We just won't draft CB's that high.  Not the focus here.
3) If we had drafted him, they'd be looking at our line and saying we shoulda picked up a guard or tackle rd1

watson

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 07, 2006, 04:54:31 PM

Right....and Tom Brady probably should have been the number 1 pick in the draft the year he was drafted.  Does anyone actually think that Jonathan Joseph would be starting for the Bucs right now?  He might be the nickel back, but even that is not a given.  Davin Joseph is a starter.  How do you swap that for a player that is only on the field for limited defensive snaps?  Heck if you were going to do that, why not say it would have been better to draft Devin Hester?  He has 4 TDs on punt returns and that would be a bigger improvement/impact for the Bucs.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 07, 2006, 05:01:58 PM

John Jospeh has 16 PD's right now, Bolden 10. He might well be a starter here and if nothing else, he's a more valuable long-term player than Davin just based on position - as much as you like Buenning would you trade Brian Kelly for him?

Frankly the only logic for going OG that high is that we were gonna win now off last seasons 11-5 and had to fill one of our "few" gaps with a high need pick no matter how low the value.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

watson

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 07, 2006, 05:27:09 PM

John Jospeh has 16 PD's right now, Bolden 10. He might well be a starter here and if nothing else, he's a more valuable long-term player than Davin just based on position - as much as you like Buenning would you trade Brian Kelly for him?

Frankly the only logic for going OG that high is that we were gonna win now off last seasons 11-5 and had to fill one of our "few" gaps with a high need pick no matter how low the value.
And he might be in the same position as Zemaitis.  Because Tomlin took a new defense to Minn everyone started on the same level.  I don't think it was like that here.  The players that were here had been here for multiple years and players like Barber didn't see much of the playing field their first year.  Maybe long term he would be the better pick, but to say that J Joseph would have been a better pick than D Joseph at this point in their careers is speculation.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 07, 2006, 08:30:54 PM

He was already gone according to Don Banks' scenario, but I would have loved DeMeco Ryans. I know linebacker isn't a super immediate need, but it just looks to me he's going to be a star for the next ten years.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#8 : December 07, 2006, 09:02:37 PM

Does anyone actually think that Jonathan Joseph would be starting for the Bucs right now?

Is that a trick question? Of course he would be starting. Bolden and Cox are horrible. Tony Romo looked like a HOFer against us. You cant compare Zemeitis to Joseph. Joseph was viewed as an all around good CB coming out of college whereas Zemeitis was considered a safety prospect to most teams.

watson

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 08, 2006, 10:27:48 AM

Does anyone actually think that Jonathan Joseph would be starting for the Bucs right now?

Is that a trick question? Of course he would be starting. Bolden and Cox are horrible. Tony Romo looked like a HOFer against us. You cant compare Zemeitis to Joseph. Joseph was viewed as an all around good CB coming out of college whereas Zemeitis was considered a safety prospect to most teams.
As I stated before, IMHO he would not start ahead of these vets since he did not play in this type of defense in college and they've had multiple years to learn it.  Regarding Romo, he looked that good since he had time to trot to the sideline.....talk to Parcells.....and trot back out on the field before he needed to throw the ball.  Not too many DBs are going to be able to stop completions when the QB has 8 to 10 seconds to find a receiver. 

Truths:

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 08, 2006, 10:32:47 AM

If Zemaitis has not cracked the starting lineup I could not imagine Joseph even sniffing it.  The only way Joseph sees the field is becuase the Bucs would have forked over cash for a first round pick.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 08, 2006, 11:21:56 AM

If Zemaitis has not cracked the starting lineup I could not imagine Joseph even sniffing it.  The only way Joseph sees the field is becuase the Bucs would have forked over cash for a first round pick.

Joseph is a better player than Zematis. Why would an inferior player not playing mean a superior one wouldn't?

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#12 : December 08, 2006, 11:33:02 AM

All things considered, that's still a stupid pick. We have much more of a need along the DL.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 08, 2006, 11:35:34 AM

All things considered, that's still a stupid pick. We have much more of a need along the DL.

I would have gone Lawson given the way Bank's draft falls but since he's got all of 2 sacks right now I'd not be looking really smart.  No way anyone would have risked Dumervill.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#14 : December 08, 2006, 11:42:24 AM

once again SF steals the defensive player that we might've taken by drafting Kiwi a step ahead of us...
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFl Draft Redeux « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools