Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rays have the best pitching staff in the AL East this year « previous next »
Page: 1 2

LFO

Hall of Famer

#15 : March 28, 2008, 12:03:05 AM

It happens

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
#16 : March 28, 2008, 12:26:50 AM

Please notice that hte list by JD was for teams with ST winning percentages over .700

That would exclude the '96 Tigers.

Well, my point was simply that spring records generally have little bearing on the regular season.
But since you are counting only teams with .700 winning percentages in spring training he missed a couple who did not fare too well.

Spring Tr Reg Season
Kansas City 1999 22 9 .710 64 97 .398
Los Angeles 1999 21 9 .700 77 85 .475

Then he's not the only one that missed those two teams because I heard what he posted on the radio earlier. Maybe the list refers to the top 7 winning percentages since 1980. Either way two things are true. The Rays ST was overall impressive and they're 0-0 as of Sunday.

I will quibble no more. Here's hoping the Rays win at least 82 and maybe even take a bead on third place in the AL East. It's time.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#17 : March 28, 2008, 12:34:11 AM

Actually the list I posted is for winning percentages of .714 or better.  That was the cutoff, because every team since 1980 with a .714 or better spring winning pct. made the playoffs that season.

There are some serious drop offs at .700 and lower.  

And again. It means nothing.  It is just kind of an interesting fact that I found in the St. Pete Times.  Kind of like the weird stat where no team who has lost to the Bucs has won the Super Bowl.  Or the team that wins the Maddon Challenge at the Super Bowl has always won the game on Sunday.  Stupid stuff like that.

It doesn't make sense, but it is a fact.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#18 : March 28, 2008, 02:09:01 PM

Please notice that hte list by JD was for teams with ST winning percentages over .700

That would exclude the '96 Tigers.

Well, my point was simply that spring records generally have little bearing on the regular season.
But since you are counting only teams with .700 winning percentages in spring training he missed a couple who did not fare too well.

Spring Tr Reg Season
Kansas City 1999 22 9 .710 64 97 .398
Los Angeles 1999 21 9 .700 77 85 .475

Then he's not the only one that missed those two teams because I heard what he posted on the radio earlier. Maybe the list refers to the top 7 winning percentages since 1980. Either way two things are true. The Rays ST was overall impressive and they're 0-0 as of Sunday.

I will quibble no more. Here's hoping the Rays win at least 82 and maybe even take a bead on third place in the AL East. It's time.

There wasn't anything to quibble over.  No one made any bold predictions.  He just posted an interesting list of teams with similar ST records.  I misspoke in referrencing .700, but that was already acknowledged.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#19 : March 29, 2008, 02:03:13 AM

Actually the list I posted is for winning percentages of .714 or better.  That was the cutoff, because every team since 1980 with a .714 or better spring winning pct. made the playoffs that season.

There are some serious drop offs at .700 and lower. 

And again. It means nothing.  It is just kind of an interesting fact that I found in the St. Pete Times.  Kind of like the weird stat where no team who has lost to the Bucs has won the Super Bowl.  Or the team that wins the Maddon Challenge at the Super Bowl has always won the game on Sunday.  Stupid stuff like that.

It doesn't make sense, but it is a fact.

Or the MJMORNINGSHOW's egg challenge has predicted like the last 7 SB winners......

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : March 29, 2008, 02:15:04 AM

Good luck to the Rays this year.  BUt they will be lucky to get fourth.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#21 : March 29, 2008, 02:18:28 AM

I have the Rays 3rd this year.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#22 : March 29, 2008, 05:46:06 PM

John Kruk picked the Rays as his dark horse AL team to make it to the World Series.

Tim Kirkjun was sitting right next to him and didn't even crack a smile, so I'm thinking that many baseball experts expect to see the Rays win alteast 80-85 games this season.

It would be sweet to win 85 games and knock the Yankees out of the playoffs in doing so. Even if we don't make it to the playoffs knocking the Yankees out would be the single greatest thing the Rays have done since our beggining.

eyeswideshut

Second String

#23 : March 30, 2008, 02:41:58 AM

I love it! Bring up Evan Longoria!

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#24 : March 30, 2008, 04:11:55 AM

John Kruk picked the Rays as his dark horse AL team to make it to the World Series.

Tim Kirkjun was sitting right next to him and didn't even crack a smile, so I'm thinking that many baseball experts expect to see the Rays win alteast 80-85 games this season.

It would be sweet to win 85 games and knock the Yankees out of the playoffs in doing so. Even if we don't make it to the playoffs knocking the Yankees out would be the single greatest thing the Rays have done since our beggining.
It might be sweet but dont count on it happening

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#25 : April 01, 2008, 02:42:52 PM

Have Kazmir on my MLB FL team. I'm probably finish in the cellar - but find that fantasy is the only way to maintain interest in MLB and know what the players are doing -
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rays have the best pitching staff in the AL East this year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools