Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have a take and don't suck. Advice for forum newbies. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 01, 2008, 05:06:35 PM

Seems like now would be an opportune time to post some friendly advice for all of the new and occasional posters who frequent the forums. Nothing is more disconcerting than to post a strong opening thread to announce yourself to the rest of the community while at the same time espousing your well rounded views of NFL football in general, and Buccaneers' football in particular, only to be blindsided by regular posters who filet your written opinions and hand them back to you. This does NOT have to happen, if only you, as the newbie or occasional poster, will observe some common sense rules and etiquette while posting on Pewter Report.

1. Have a take and don't suck. The only useful thing to ever fall from Jim Rome's motorized mouth in his 20+ years of parading as a sports talk show host. Quite simply put: Think your posts though before committing them to the forum. Articulate your arguments, support them with facts and be sure to provide links to your sources, if you use them.

2. Feel free to troll on other rival team sites, but don't bring the party home to Pewter Report. In other words, smack-a-way on other sites to your heart's content, but do not challenge or invite your new found troll buddies to post their crap on Pewter Report. You may enjoy this drivel, but your admins do not appreciate having to ban rival trolls, hunting down and deleting their crap posts.

3. Do not post immediately following a Buccaneers' loss. Let the emotions settle before you post inflammatory statements about the team, certain players, coaches, or team owners for betraying the fans because they didn't have your 20/20 post game hindsight as foresight. This is where a lot of the newbies and bi-monthly posters get into trouble with the community. The first hour following a Buccaneers' loss is not the best time to become the newest member just so you can vomit your displeasure with the team.

4. Never, EVER, qualify your knowledge of pro football or the Buccaneers' playbook strategies with your ability to dominate 12 year-old opponents online in Madden 2008. Madden is not pro football, does not have access to the Buccaneers playbook, and real players are not governed by double joystick moves or Madden's speed and power ratings. The most ridiculous thing you can say is something like "The Buccaneers should have lined up Pittman wide with an empty backfield, because that forces the safeties to draw into the box, and then you can just kill them over the middle with quick slants to Joey Galloway. It works because I killed the Falcons 56-3 using that strategy in Madden." LARPer please.......I had the Milton Bradley game "Operation" when I was a kid, it does not qualify me to perform a cardiac triple bypass.

5. Never, EVER, qualify your knowledge of pro football using your prep football experience as background. We don't care that you were an all CIF safety in 1992, it doesn't make you an expert in pro football. Most of us on forums have played prep football, but nearly every single one of us, just like you, hung up the cleats for good just before senior prom. High school football strategies have nothing on JUCO, let alone pro football. Leave it for your high school yearbook inscription and 10 year HS reunion.

6. Another common mistake of newbies and occasional posters is to attack another member's rival team fan affiliation by questioning why they are on a Buccaneers' forum, usually followed with a snappy comment to stay off forums, because it's a Buccaneers' forum for Buccaneer fans. Do not criticize rival team members for merely expressing their views or for participating in any of the forums. In fact, it's a really good idea to click on a rival fan's profile to check their join date, their post count, and the number of times they have been thanked for their posts. This is indicative that the member is not a troll, but rather a respected member of the community. Foolhardiness is to attack an established member, rival or not, without expecting a flood of rebuke from other forum members.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 01, 2008, 05:14:31 PM

this all sounds better to read while imagining jim rome's voice saying it.

try it out.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 01, 2008, 05:18:29 PM

Ahhh the inimitable Mr Rome...

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 01, 2008, 05:23:21 PM

LOL dude he talked about that, but i never knew it was on youtuve.. That is hilarious. lmaoooooooooo hahahahaha
he looks so different.

i thought it was "crissy" not "Chris"

thats what he said on his radio show

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 01, 2008, 05:29:02 PM

i just watched the frank caliendo one, doing jim rome... phe...nominal.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 01, 2008, 06:00:01 PM

I loath Rome, one of the worst in history

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 01, 2008, 06:01:36 PM

People who voice strong opinions are generally dispised

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 01, 2008, 06:05:28 PM

People who voice strong opinions are generally dispised

it has nothing to do with his opinions and everything to do with the fact that he's a clown. He's by far the worst person to conduct an interview and the "takes" always suck, the guy is a blowhard.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 01, 2008, 06:09:23 PM

i love his shaq impression hahahahhahah

i really dont take anything he says seriously. so its all funny to me.  he looks like an idiot sometimes, but its hilarious.  i do like his takes usually.  i was listening to his replacments.. the twins... the splar brothers or something. they are hilarious, by far the best show i ever listened to.  anyone else hear them?

#9 : April 01, 2008, 06:22:56 PM

you feel better now ?
what a freak'n waste that was

MVP

Pro Bowler

#10 : April 01, 2008, 08:07:00 PM

Forum newbies won't even bother to read posts like this. That's why they are noobs.

I hate Jim Rome as well.

bodybag

Starter

#11 : April 01, 2008, 08:09:56 PM

when are you not considered a forum newbie anymore? just wondering, because im a huge bucs fan i love the team and nfl altogether but i would say im a "occasional poster" only because i work alot and i am not able to be on the forum very often. but i would say i have never done any of these things because i respect eveyone's opinion even if i dont agree with it. but i dont want to be known as one of these "trolls" just because im a occasional poster.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#12 : April 01, 2008, 08:16:17 PM

122 posts bodybag, unless they changed it. ;)

bodybag

Starter

#13 : April 01, 2008, 08:19:36 PM

thanks lamond that was the answer i was lookin for. i feel much better now

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 01, 2008, 08:24:29 PM

I don't think anyone but the PR people should be giving advice as to when, what and where anyone else should post.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have a take and don't suck. Advice for forum newbies. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools