Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have a take and don't suck. Advice for forum newbies. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

HughC

Pro Bowler

#60 : April 05, 2008, 09:03:08 PM

4. Never, EVER, qualify your knowledge of pro football or the Buccaneers' playbook strategies with your ability to dominate 12 year-old opponents online in Madden 2008. Madden is not pro football, does not have access to the Buccaneers playbook, and real players are not governed by double joystick moves or Madden's speed and power ratings. The most ridiculous thing you can say is something like "The Buccaneers should have lined up Pittman wide with an empty backfield, because that forces the safeties to draw into the box, and then you can just kill them over the middle with quick slants to Joey Galloway. It works because I killed the Falcons 56-3 using that strategy in Madden." LARPer please.......I had the Milton Bradley game "Operation" when I was a kid, it does not qualify me to perform a cardiac triple bypass.
I had to laugh out loud at this "rule".  While lurking on another site somebody said the Patriots needed to draft a QB in the first round this year or they were doomed.  The reasoning was that Tom Brady (or maybe it was Peyton Manning?) was getting close to the age of 30 and his production was destined to nosedive in the next year or two.  After some back and forth, the poster based his premise on the fact that he was "one of the top ten gamers of Madden in the franchise mode in the entire world" or something like that, and he had statistical proof from his Madden experience that performance dramatically falls after age 30.  At first I thought it was a joke, but the dweeb was completely serious.

I should have asked him how the Bucs could have possibly had a winning record last year, much less winning the division!

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#61 : April 05, 2008, 09:30:39 PM

That's your opinion and I disagree with it.  We'll agree to disagree.  I read all different kinds of posts on this board and I know which ones in my mind are worthy of responding too.  I've always said if you give the punks and trolls a chance they will take a mile.  Don't give them your attention stick to the posts in which you know have merrit or the ones with which you'd like to debate.  Within that construct make sure you'e not flaming people and being disrespectful and your time on the board will not be consumed with some clowns who don't get it...

Now there's something we can agree on.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#62 : April 06, 2008, 05:13:04 AM

We all hated TBBB...that's why we don't want that...stuff...here.

Post whatever you want, if it is lame it will be pointed out. If not, some of us will still argue with you...just to see how committed you are to what your state!

Oh yeah, there are no legends here. They all deleted there accounts and became, newbies... :o

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Mellow

Starter

#63 : April 06, 2008, 08:12:03 AM

People who voice strong opinions are generally dispised

it has nothing to do with his opinions and everything to do with the fact that he's a clown. He's by far the worst person to conduct an interview and the "takes" always suck, the guy is a blowhard.
I think his interviews are usually good because he leaves his personality out of it. It's his "takes" and softball guy-esque bits that really suck.

Interviews?  What interviews?  I didn't look it up in a dictionary, but I'm pretty sure "interview" involves questions and answers.

ROME: You're known as a mauler, someone who  pounds guys into the ground, someone with a dirty streak.
PLAYER: Yeah, I am.
ROME: You really want to be drafted number one; it's just natural!
PLAYER: OK

There are no friggin question!!!!

I'm just waiting for the first guy to just pause after one of his bogus 'questions' and then just say: "Oh, was there a question?"

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#64 : April 07, 2008, 09:29:57 AM

Seems like now would be an opportune time to post some friendly advice for all of the new and occasional posters who frequent the forums. Nothing is more disconcerting than to post a strong opening thread to announce yourself to the rest of the community while at the same time espousing your well rounded views of NFL football in general, and Buccaneers' football in particular, only to be blindsided by regular posters who filet your written opinions and hand them back to you. This does NOT have to happen, if only you, as the newbie or occasional poster, will observe some common sense rules and etiquette while posting on Pewter Report.

1. Have a take and don't suck. The only useful thing to ever fall from Jim Rome's motorized mouth in his 20+ years of parading as a sports talk show host. Quite simply put: Think your posts though before committing them to the forum. Articulate your arguments, support them with facts and be sure to provide links to your sources, if you use them.

2. Feel free to troll on other rival team sites, but don't bring the party home to Pewter Report. In other words, smack-a-way on other sites to your heart's content, but do not challenge or invite your new found troll buddies to post their crap on Pewter Report. You may enjoy this drivel, but your admins do not appreciate having to ban rival trolls, hunting down and deleting their crap posts.

3. Do not post immediately following a Buccaneers' loss. Let the emotions settle before you post inflammatory statements about the team, certain players, coaches, or team owners for betraying the fans because they didn't have your 20/20 post game hindsight as foresight. This is where a lot of the newbies and bi-monthly posters get into trouble with the community. The first hour following a Buccaneers' loss is not the best time to become the newest member just so you can vomit your displeasure with the team.

4. Never, EVER, qualify your knowledge of pro football or the Buccaneers' playbook strategies with your ability to dominate 12 year-old opponents online in Madden 2008. Madden is not pro football, does not have access to the Buccaneers playbook, and real players are not governed by double joystick moves or Madden's speed and power ratings. The most ridiculous thing you can say is something like "The Buccaneers should have lined up Pittman wide with an empty backfield, because that forces the safeties to draw into the box, and then you can just kill them over the middle with quick slants to Joey Galloway. It works because I killed the Falcons 56-3 using that strategy in Madden." LARPer please.......I had the Milton Bradley game "Operation" when I was a kid, it does not qualify me to perform a cardiac triple bypass.

5. Never, EVER, qualify your knowledge of pro football using your prep football experience as background. We don't care that you were an all CIF safety in 1992, it doesn't make you an expert in pro football. Most of us on forums have played prep football, but nearly every single one of us, just like you, hung up the cleats for good just before senior prom. High school football strategies have nothing on JUCO, let alone pro football. Leave it for your high school yearbook inscription and 10 year HS reunion.

6. Another common mistake of newbies and occasional posters is to attack another member's rival team fan affiliation by questioning why they are on a Buccaneers' forum, usually followed with a snappy comment to stay off forums, because it's a Buccaneers' forum for Buccaneer fans. Do not criticize rival team members for merely expressing their views or for participating in any of the forums. In fact, it's a really good idea to click on a rival fan's profile to check their join date, their post count, and the number of times they have been thanked for their posts. This is indicative that the member is not a troll, but rather a respected member of the community. Foolhardiness is to attack an established member, rival or not, without expecting a flood of rebuke from other forum members.

7. Posting pictures like this is highly encouraged. ;D

Seriously though, people will post the way they want to post. I think, with the exception of the moderated mandated rules, its no holds barred in regards to what folks what to type and how they want to type it.

Giving "newbie advice" smacks of old guard arrogance. Just my humble opinion...

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#65 : April 07, 2008, 05:43:32 PM

i think the world would be a better place if people would take time out of their day to find my postings.  really, the rest of the garbage surrounding my thoughts is kind of just pollution and should be removed.  most people know that Uncle Stan got his start by calling me and then summarizing our six hour conversations into a one or two sentence statement that was so air tight it left no room for response - hence, the Uncle Stan Rule that clearly states if you respond to an Uncle Stan post you're a dihole.

after the protoge became the professor, i met a man collecting cans in the dark alleys of St. Pete.  he claimed to be a superhero with uncanny knowledge of the first TB Buccaneer division title and that they should not have drafted Bo.  He originally went by the moniker Dark Knight, but after tap-dancing lessons soon became simpley - Chevalier!

Let me know if you want to get more historical perspectives about the characters on this board - for instance, i had a tumor removed in 1986.  that growth took on a life of its own and moved to Polk County - ON PURPOSE!  with no training in picking oranges, or the medical field, this poster became my long lost pseudo-Siamese twin - the "you can call me anything, just don't call me late for supper" and always prompt for a Ponderosa Run - my friend, my tumor, my man - Zell.

Pewter Warship - been a while man - how's the tatoo, track marks, and mail order "friend"?  just jokes brutha!

sorry yucca - i guess i screwed up the whole rules thingy...

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#66 : April 07, 2008, 05:47:27 PM

My Dawg!  Wazzup Phist!!!!

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#67 : April 07, 2008, 06:43:42 PM

LMAO

Now here is a name I would like to see here more often... Ironphist

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Ironphist

Hall of Famer

#68 : April 07, 2008, 06:45:30 PM

my brutha by a mutha of anutha culla!!!  sooooo, this joint is to' up from da flo' up.  i haven't been by in awhile and i recognize just the 2%'ers - this place is crazy different in terms of new names.

so i'm catchin' up on my Buc beat here, and only here.  is the Kansas City Pimp still runnin' the place?  talkin' about Prefer not Reynolds.  let SR see what my boys from my home town near Beale Street will do to the 2nd best team from Kansas!?!?!  where you at Wildcats?  It's Beale not Beasley!

where do i go on this sight to see who the helll we've signed?  who we've cut/lost/etc?  i am not about to weed through this mutha so point me in the right direction.

keepon's still here i see, caradoc ever post anymore?  what about that know it all - dalbuc?  hahaha - dude was smart, stat machine.  what about the guy that always left a "tip o' the cap" - john something or other - funny.  or danturksghost - he was a one-liner of old too. anyway...  I see Abuccs is still here and i'm the only one that likes him.  OregonBuc still a Republican?  guess that'll be the end of me when that one gets left on the board - i always ask the tough questions.  Krazybuc still hate everyone? Hahahaha...  

quick story - you remember when you blasted me an email to find out how much flavor the Shiek had fo' real???  that was AWESOME!  glad to hear from ya bro'...  always lurkin', might even post a little here and there.  who the helll we draftin' anyway?

i think what alot of the regulars don't know is guys like me that just want news on the team will come here to keep up with it all, not necessarily post on every topic.  i bet with as many new folks around here as there are - one could find a disagreement or two if he were so inclined...

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#69 : April 07, 2008, 07:24:46 PM

my brutha by a mutha of anutha culla!!!  sooooo, this joint is to' up from da flo' up.  i haven't been by in awhile and i recognize just the 2%'ers - this place is crazy different in terms of new names.

so i'm catchin' up on my Buc beat here, and only here.  is the Kansas City Pimp still runnin' the place?  talkin' about Prefer not Reynolds.  let SR see what my boys from my home town near Beale Street will do to the 2nd best team from Kansas!?!?!  where you at Wildcats?  It's Beale not Beasley!

where do i go on this sight to see who the helll we've signed?  who we've cut/lost/etc?  i am not about to weed through this mutha so point me in the right direction.

keepon's still here i see, caradoc ever post anymore?  what about that know it all - dalbuc?  hahaha - dude was smart, stat machine.  what about the guy that always left a "tip o' the cap" - john something or other - funny.  or danturksghost - he was a one-liner of old too. anyway...  I see Abuccs is still here and i'm the only one that likes him.  OregonBuc still a Republican?  guess that'll be the end of me when that one gets left on the board - i always ask the tough questions.  Krazybuc still hate everyone? Hahahaha... 

quick story - you remember when you blasted me an email to find out how much flavor the Shiek had fo' real???  that was AWESOME!  glad to hear from ya bro'...  always lurkin', might even post a little here and there.  who the helll we draftin' anyway?

i think what alot of the regulars don't know is guys like me that just want news on the team will come here to keep up with it all, not necessarily post on every topic.  i bet with as many new folks around here as there are - one could find a disagreement or two if he were so inclined...

You know how it is bro.  Somebody got picked on and got pissed off.  Happens everyday.  Some bring it on themselves Some don't know how to debate some just ain't got no manners.  I still say and will always say this is the best place on the net or anywhere for that matter for Buccaneer news.

Check the top of the thread for the FA Tracker...that will give you the skinny without much commentary...I'm sort of on vacation.  But that's not true just doing what I always do, pick out the best and leave the rest...you know the drill.  Most of the old timers are still here.  Prefer stops in on occaision.  I assume he's ghosting out there somewhere.  Abuccs is in Iraq or somewhere bad so send up some timber for the brother. OBF is my dawg, he's too funny. 

Lastly I don't know who we draftin dawg, I'm just hyped cause it's Buccaneer Football in April, you know me man...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

GoBucs40Bulls8

Starter

#70 : April 07, 2008, 09:13:30 PM

I'm new here.

Well read Yucc's message, digest it, and make sure you don't suck in future.  ;)

lol. . . ouch

Yeah yucc, I see where you're coming from (Not that I've been here for very long), but even I look through the message boards and wonder, "why did they even waste their time posting that".

. . .but it is funny to watch people get owned. . .like wienberger.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Have a take and don't suck. Advice for forum newbies. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools