Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Quarterback « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

: December 08, 2006, 05:15:26 AM

There is a lot of talk about drafting defense this year, and I agree that defense is a critical need. But I do disagree with those that say the Bucs should take a defender with their top pick. A true franchise quarterback is very hard to come by.  Not a lot of teams have one, and most of those that don't are not very good teams on a consistent basis.  The biggest problem with getting a franchise QB is that it is very rare that you can get one via FA. Sure there have been reclamation products that have turned in outstanding results (Brees), but then there are a thousand more that flopped. Most franchise QB's stay with the team that drafted them for the majority of their productive careers. Thusly. the best and most effective way to get that franchise QB is through the draft.

Drafting a franchise QB is no certain deal either. For every Manning, there are two or three Leafs. But the only way you get a Manning is by drafting him. You can't be scared that you might get a Leaf.  You have to do your homework. You need to get all the best info you can. But in the end, you also need to roll the dice.

The Bucs NEED to finally acquire a Franchise QB if they want any sort of long term winning record. Not one winning, two losing, or 2-3 years of being competitive, I'm talking about the next 6-10 year run of being competitive with a decent shot at another Super Bowl.  Yes there has been the Brady that was picked in the 6th round, but those are more rare than first round super wonders. The best chance of getting a real franchise QB is to use a Top 5 pick on one.  I know we need defense. But I think we need a QB even more. Hopefully at the end of the year when Gruden and Allen sit down with the Glazers and discuss the past present and future of the team, it is made clear that Gruden and Allen have 2-3 years to rebuild into a consistently competitive team. And feeling safe in the knowledge that his job is not at serious risk as long as improvement is shown (even if that doesn't mean more wins), I hope Gruden and Allen take a shot on a franchise QB. Quinn, Brohm or anyone else, I haven't decided yet (haven't really followed either this year). But I'd be very pleased if the risk was taken, even if we end up drafting the next Ryan Leaf, I'd be happy we at least took the shot and be clamoring that we try again. Look at San Diego. They drafted Ryan Leaf, then Drew Brees and then Manning which was then traded for Rivers. They took three shots at it. And as of right now, it looks like they have finally struck gold.

I like Grads and I even like Simms. But I don't think either of them will be anything more than an average QB. You don't get a top 5 pick often, and no one enters a season planning on earning one either. So when you do have it, you have to make the best use of it. That use this year for the Bucs, IMHO, is taking a shot at a franchise QB.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

creekchub00

Starter

#1 : December 08, 2006, 05:20:44 AM

I can understand where you are coming from, but I am not sure if the fans and the team are willing to sit around while another QB develops. I think a vet is the way to go.

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 08, 2006, 05:26:03 AM

I think we have tried that route before....once or twice.   How about establishing an O-line that is good, how about a running back that is elite and a WR that is top 5.  Failure on all of these.

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.

Badbud8

Second String

#3 : December 08, 2006, 07:22:48 AM

Rebuild the D line,,,get the O line up to speed then worry about the rest of it., But if you dont bebuild the D then all the rest dont matter.

Our D now gives up way more point than the Buc's can ever score.
QB is not biggest need Now

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 08, 2006, 08:57:36 AM

I like Grads and I even like Simms. But I don't think either of them will be anything more than an average QB. You don't get a top 5 pick often, and no one enters a season planning on earning one either. So when you do have it, you have to make the best use of it. That use this year for the Bucs, IMHO, is taking a shot at a franchise QB.

I wouldn't be opposed to it.........hopefully the fans could actually unite behind a Quinn or Russell.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 08, 2006, 09:08:39 AM

Fans generally understand the young QB career path. Frankly, they have about the right level of patience on it as well - 2 years.
Where fans, more than NFL types differ, is in playing the young guy right away. You always get a ton of the toss 'em into the fire types when there's nothing that shows that rookies who play do any better over their careers than those who don't and in fact nothing to show they do better in their second year.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 08, 2006, 09:58:13 AM

If a new coaching staff comes in then it makes perfect sense to draft a QB in the first round.  Other than that I do not see the need to take a QB in the first.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 08, 2006, 10:21:19 AM

I don't know and I don't have a clue but I do feel that if you give John Gruden elite talent (quinn, smith, russell, brohm) he would make those guy a franchise QB. Gruden is a very good QB coach, resume speaks for itself...

Now I don't know what the hell we will do about our QB situation via the draft. I want a QB but geez we have holes and yes I do understand the need for a QB. I can't call it on what we should do, tough decision. If Quinn is there it would be hard not to take him.

Baghead #2

#8 : December 08, 2006, 01:24:35 PM

we need a vet

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 08, 2006, 01:28:16 PM

we need a vet

As always the land o' QB's is gonna be thin. Plummer, god help us all, is thebest of the lot out there and we've had that guy on the roster  - SoB- and we know how that song goes.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 08, 2006, 01:31:10 PM

[and we've had that guy on the roster  - SoB- and we know how that song goes.

No more Denver rejects!

Booger

Starter

#11 : December 08, 2006, 01:32:04 PM

Great post SepeBucs, it's hard to argue against the need for a franchise QB.  But is there one in this draft?

If Gruden really falls in love with Quinn or Brohm, by all means.  I can admit that a top 5 QB isnt the best thing for this team in the immediate future, but there isnt a pick that would excite me more.

It has been mentioned before on this board, but elite franchise prospects are generally found at the QB, the LT, or the CB position.  I would love to give Grads another year (at least) with Joe Thomas on board, but would certainly support the selection of Brady Quinn.

#12 : December 08, 2006, 01:33:28 PM

i hear ya... to be honest i don't what this team needs anymore!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 08, 2006, 01:35:50 PM

QB, FB, TE, LOT, C, WR#1, WR#2, RDE, LDE, UT, WLB, CB#2, SS

That's my list of things we need or I have a strong su**CENSORED**ion we may need in the next 1-2 years.

Booger

Starter

#14 : December 08, 2006, 01:40:12 PM

QB, FB, TE, LOT, C, WR#1, WR#2, RDE, LDE, UT, WLB, CB#2, SS

That's my list of things we need or I have a strong su**CENSORED**ion we may need in the next 1-2 years.

That seems like an arguement for a QB.  With so many holes to fill, why start with a DE or WR?  A "Franchise QB" would be a nice building block, but would be like admitting were 2-3 years away from being competitive.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Quarterback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools