Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Quarterback « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 08, 2006, 01:41:34 PM

i hear ya... to be honest i don't what this team needs anymore!

QB, FB, TE, LOT, C, WR#1, WR#2, RDE, LDE, UT, WLB, CB#2, SS

That's my list of things we need or I have a strong su**CENSORED**ion we may need in the next 1-2 years.

That seems like an arguement for a QB.  With so many holes to fill, why start with a DE or WR?  A "Franchise QB" would be a nice building block, but would be like admitting were 2-3 years away from being competitive.

If a new coaching staff comes in the first piece they would try to acquire is a "franchise QB".  Unless the Glazers force Gruden's hand I can not imagine Gruden and Allen drafting a QB in the first round.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 08, 2006, 01:52:15 PM

If a new coaching staff comes in the first piece they would try to acquire is a "franchise QB".  Unless the Glazers force Gruden's hand I can not imagine Gruden and Allen drafting a QB in the first round.

Excellent distinction between what we may need and what we will take. I agree 100% that a new staff is likely looking for a new QB but Gruden and Allen might not think they have 2 years.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bucshot420

Starter

#17 : December 08, 2006, 06:17:39 PM

While I personally think an Under Tackle that gets good penetration is the top priority.  I am curious what a top talent QB could do under Gruden.  Granted we need the WR' for him to throw to but that can maybe be had in FA.  I also wouldn't mind Reggie Nelson the S from florida if he fell to us in R2

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 08, 2006, 06:59:24 PM

I can understand where you are coming from, but I am not sure if the fans and the team are willing to sit around while another QB develops. I think a vet is the way to go.

There is not going to be a vet avaliable. Looking at the 2007 free agents, QB is very weak this year. There may be some surprise cuts, but right now, Chris Simms looks like he will be the best QB on the market this year. However there may be some good defense guys. Nate Clements is definetly someone we are going to target. Our secondary needs immediate help and is an even bigger need than a QB in my opinion.

If we were to end up with the #1 pick, there is no doubt in my mind that we would pick Brady Quinn. If we are #3 or #4, I think we will go with Brian Brohm. If we decide to go WR, I expect someone like Calvin Johnson.

But don't expect us to go defense in the early rounds of this draft. Especially since there is good defense talent in the free agency. Much more than offensive talent.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 08, 2006, 07:02:49 PM

D-line, O-line.
First.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 08, 2006, 07:08:47 PM

D-line, O-line.
First.
The secondary is a bigger problem than either OL or DL. Our secondary is being torched every single game.

And drafting an OL in the first round? HELL NO! I don't want another Kenyetta.
The reality also is that we cannot keep changing the OL every single year. When you look around the league at the best, every one of the best O-lines have been together for a number of years. It takes years to build an offensive line. And drafting an OL won't show any improvement on this team at all. None! It takes an average of 2 to 3 years for a rookie OL to start producing results.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#21 : December 08, 2006, 09:33:40 PM

My argument to those who feel that Gruden/Allen don't have time to wait for a franchise QB is this.  If we don't try and draft a franchise QB in round 1 this year, who are we going to start at QB?  It is going to be one of Grads/Simms/vet most likely.  So then we use that pick in rd 1 to take maybe a OL, DE, WR, etc.  Is that guy going to make that big of a difference next year?  I don't think so.  SO why not draft the potential franchise QB?  You still go with Grads/Simms/vet next year.  You then evaluate your franchise QB each year thereafter until he is ready.  Maybe it is 1 year, maybe 2.  But either way when he is ready you may be set for the next 10 years at QB, with plenty of chances to upgrade around him.  I don't think whoever we draft rd 1 next year is going to win that many more games to justify not taking the franchise QB who may lead our team for the next decade.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 08, 2006, 10:06:37 PM

As long as the GM and the coach are connected at the hip they won't draft a QB in the first round.  Its evident to everybody that Gruden doesn't have the luxury of waiting a couple years for a QB to develop into a winner.  We do desperately need a franchise QB, but we will have to just see what happens in free agency.  It doesn't seem like there will be anybody out there, but you can bet that if there is the Bucs will spare no expense to get whoever it is.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 08, 2006, 10:30:16 PM

As long as the GM and the coach are connected at the hip they won't draft a QB in the first round. Its evident to everybody that Gruden doesn't have the luxury of waiting a couple years for a QB to develop into a winner. We do desperately need a franchise QB, but we will have to just see what happens in free agency. It doesn't seem like there will be anybody out there, but you can bet that if there is the Bucs will spare no expense to get whoever it is.
OK. Then who's our QB next year? Gradkowski? Chris Simms? There is no Drew Brees next year! The best we are going to get is someone like Jake "the mistake" Plummer. The free agency for QB is EXTREAMLY weak next year. There are no franchise QBs in the free agency. This is why Simms was offered a contract extention already. He may be the best available QB this year.

The reality is that we arn't winning a super bowl next year. We will be lucky to get .500 next year. This team needs SERIOUS rebuilding. And if Gruden is forced to win next year or lose his job, then he'll be fired. Because it will be 2 or 3 years before this team is going to be able to compeat again. We have a very young offense and an old defense that is being torched every single week. We are not even close to being a playoff team right now.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#24 : December 08, 2006, 11:08:08 PM

As long as the GM and the coach are connected at the hip they won't draft a QB in the first round. Its evident to everybody that Gruden doesn't have the luxury of waiting a couple years for a QB to develop into a winner. We do desperately need a franchise QB, but we will have to just see what happens in free agency. It doesn't seem like there will be anybody out there, but you can bet that if there is the Bucs will spare no expense to get whoever it is.

Ok, so he doesn't have luxary of waiting for a franchise QB, so if that is the case why doesn't he just quit this year?  That 1 pick isn't going to make or break next year.  We have way too many problems with this team.  Might as well fill our big hole at QB while we have a top pick to do it with.....

Whether we draft QB or not, we are still going to roll with what we have or a vet.  SO what is the difference?  That 1 pick isn't going to be the difference between us winning 5 or 10. 

gone

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 08, 2006, 11:19:36 PM

D-line, O-line.
First.
The secondary is a bigger problem than either OL or DL. Our secondary is being torched every single game.

And drafting an OL in the first round? HELL NO! I don't want another Kenyetta.
The reality also is that we cannot keep changing the OL every single year. When you look around the league at the best, every one of the best O-lines have been together for a number of years. It takes years to build an offensive line. And drafting an OL won't show any improvement on this team at all. None! It takes an average of 2 to 3 years for a rookie OL to start producing results.
Just because Yatta busted doesn't mean every rd1 busts.  By your twisted logic, why pick in round one at all?  It's not like Yatta was the only round one bust that ever happened.  Hell, Why grab a QB at all, we don't need a ryan leaf?
You make points about the QB FA market being very weak, and it is.  But is this a strong draft for QB's? NOT.
Right now the best apparent picks are an LT, one WR and some DE and DT's.  That may change, but you don't just say, "Hey I've got a top ten pick, lets grab a QB".  You look at what's out there and judge by BAP.

Oh, and re secondary -- in this scheme, secondary is dependent on front-4 pressure.  With no pressure even a great secondary would be getting burned.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 08, 2006, 11:37:48 PM

Agree. Branch, Thomas, Adams or C. Johnson would all look good in pewter.

In Verner We Trust

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#27 : December 09, 2006, 12:15:15 AM

Quinn or Russell...

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#28 : December 09, 2006, 12:18:06 AM

Russell I think will be the real deal, I think he has probably the best Arm out of any QB in this draft and his Height will defanitely make it a lot harder for those tipped passes. I would Take Jamarcus over any defensive player in this drfat with maybe the exception of Gaines Adams.

SCLOBERNOCKER47

Practice Squad

#29 : December 09, 2006, 12:31:08 AM

IMO one of either Brohm or Russell may be available by the time we get around to our (early) round 2 pick. Either could be thrive in our offence as well, if not better, than Quinn.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Quarterback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools