Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Quarterback « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#30 : December 09, 2006, 12:31:57 AM

IMO one of either Brohm or Russell may be available by the time we get around to our (early) round 2 pick. Either could be thrive in our offence as well, if not better, than Quinn.

Russell will be gone top 20 at latest, maybe top 10.

SCLOBERNOCKER47

Practice Squad

#31 : December 09, 2006, 12:43:14 AM

I thought to so for a while, but theres alot of reports of him possibly falling, which would be great. Id rather have him over quinn or brohm, and would be the steal of the draft in r2

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#32 : December 09, 2006, 12:46:11 AM

I thought to so for a while, but theres alot of reports of him possibly falling, which would be great. Id rather have him over quinn or brohm, and would be the steal of the draft in r2

Unless he suffers a devestating injury, or maybe a huge off field problem, he won't be available round 2.

I wish he would be, but he won't.

Quote me on that.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 09, 2006, 12:47:54 AM

IMO one of either Brohm or Russell may be available by the time we get around to our (early) round 2 pick. Either could be thrive in our offence as well, if not better, than Quinn.

there's no chance either guy is there based on everything I'm seeing right now.

The highest value spots in the NFL based on salary are QB, LOT and DE. You get a shot at one of those high values spots and you need to take it. Our good fortune is to possibly be able to select amongst those spots.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

T

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 09, 2006, 06:48:30 AM

I don't think us Buc fans would know what a Franchise QB would even look like, since we've never seen one.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 09, 2006, 01:14:45 PM

D-line, O-line.
First.
The secondary is a bigger problem than either OL or DL. Our secondary is being torched every single game.

And drafting an OL in the first round? HELL NO! I don't want another Kenyetta.
The reality also is that we cannot keep changing the OL every single year. When you look around the league at the best, every one of the best O-lines have been together for a number of years. It takes years to build an offensive line. And drafting an OL won't show any improvement on this team at all. None! It takes an average of 2 to 3 years for a rookie OL to start producing results.
Just because Yatta busted doesn't mean every rd1 busts. By your twisted logic, why pick in round one at all? It's not like Yatta was the only round one bust that ever happened. Hell, Why grab a QB at all, we don't need a ryan leaf?
You make points about the QB FA market being very weak, and it is. But is this a strong draft for QB's? NOT.
Right now the best apparent picks are an LT, one WR and some DE and DT's. That may change, but you don't just say, "Hey I've got a top ten pick, lets grab a QB". You look at what's out there and judge by BAP.

Oh, and re secondary -- in this scheme, secondary is dependent on front-4 pressure. With no pressure even a great secondary would be getting burned.
Our offensive line is already too young. Throwing more inexperienced youth there will not help us at all.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 09, 2006, 01:45:25 PM

And if Gruden is forced to win next year or lose his job, then he'll be fired. Because it will be 2 or 3 years before this team is going to be able to compeat again. We have a very young offense and an old defense that is being torched every single week. We are not even close to being a playoff team right now.
I don't think the Bucs are looking at it that way, nor should they. Go tell the season ticket holders that we are undergoing a 2 year rebuilding process and we won't compete for the playoffs next year.  Go tell that to the Glazers. I don't think they are looking at it that way either.  Whatever you think, the Bucs aren't on a multi-year rebuilding strategy, at least not at the expense of next year.

#1 We are not going to go into next year with a rookie QB at the helm. So that leaves the option of whether the Bucs would draft a 1st round QB to be groomed over the course of the year or just thrown to the wolves to learn on the job at the expense of having a chance to win.  Regardless of what you think the Bucs should do, thats not what they will do.   

#2 They draft impact players in the first round.  They want a player who will step in and help win games right away. And I don't think you can predict that they have a favorite position. Just that they want a guy who will make an impact.  They have stated as much. And their record of drafting Clayton, Caddy and Joseph are proof that they mean what they say.

Nobody in the Bucs organization is thinking about scrapping next year in favor of a 2 or 3 year plan.  If they were to draft Quinn or Russell it would be because they thought they could go to the playoffs in 2007 with that player.  I don't see it.

gone

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 09, 2006, 01:59:03 PM

I don't think us Buc fans would know what a Franchise QB would even look like, since we've never seen one.
Actually we've seen a few, we just didn't keep them here...

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 09, 2006, 02:09:54 PM

And if Gruden is forced to win next year or lose his job, then he'll be fired. Because it will be 2 or 3 years before this team is going to be able to compeat again. We have a very young offense and an old defense that is being torched every single week. We are not even close to being a playoff team right now.
I don't think the Bucs are looking at it that way, nor should they. Go tell the season ticket holders that we are undergoing a 2 year rebuilding process and we won't compete for the playoffs next year. Go tell that to the Glazers. I don't think they are looking at it that way either. Whatever you think, the Bucs aren't on a multi-year rebuilding strategy, at least not at the expense of next year.

#1 We are not going to go into next year with a rookie QB at the helm. So that leaves the option of whether the Bucs would draft a 1st round QB to be groomed over the course of the year or just thrown to the wolves to learn on the job at the expense of having a chance to win. Regardless of what you think the Bucs should do, thats not what they will do.

#2 They draft impact players in the first round. They want a player who will step in and help win games right away. And I don't think you can predict that they have a favorite position. Just that they want a guy who will make an impact. They have stated as much. And their record of drafting Clayton, Caddy and Joseph are proof that they mean what they say.

Nobody in the Bucs organization is thinking about scrapping next year in favor of a 2 or 3 year plan. If they were to draft Quinn or Russell it would be because they thought they could go to the playoffs in 2007 with that player. I don't see it.

To tell you the truth, I could care less what season ticket holders think. Most of them are clueless when it comes to football.

If they don't want to go to the games anymore, then give up the ticket. There are 80,000 fans waiting to buy it whether the Bucs are 3-13 or 13-3 next year.

We are not going to the playoffs next year. The defense is old. Our offense is a joke. And right now every team in our division is better than us as a whole (except maybe Atlanta). And I told you guys in the offseason that Carolina and New Orleans will be much better this year and improved their teams more than we did. And as you can see, we have been swept by them this year.

I think everyone needs to take off the pewter colered sunglasses and understand how bad this team is right now. Our defense is D-O-N-E! They are old, slow, and being beat on every play. I saw it last year, there were several games where they just got slaughtered. Remember how Detroit just went down the field and nearly won the game in final minute? Remember the Redskins scoring on us at will? I mean our defense last year was wearing down and now this year, it broke. And it will take more than a year to fix it.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 09, 2006, 02:28:17 PM

Look at all the highly successful QBs around the NFL. Notice about 99% of them were drafted by the team they are playing with and the offense was built around those QBs. Yet it seems everyone in here is totally against any idea of drafting a QB with our first round pick. Once in a while you might be able to get one in the Free Agency but be prepared to sell him your cap and those people only come once every few years. Last year it was Drew Brees and we missed out because everyone was on the Simms bandwagon.

In this league, this is how you get a franchise QB. You draft him and then build your offense around him. In Tampa, we have NEVER done this under any regime. In the old days, we draft guys like Steve Young and we end up trading them away because the coaching is bad and the owership was cheap. Under Dungy, he didn't seem to care about offense other than a running game. He built the team around Alstott and Dunn. Under Gruden, he hasn't even had an oppertunity to try because he is forced to work with only talent taken in the mid-rounds of the draft or mediocre vets like Brad Johnson or Griese.

Yet everyone thinks Gruden doesn't have time to develop the team. That he has to win the Super Bowl next year or be fired. If that is the truth, I hope to god he has feelers out there looking for another job. Because he'll lose this one.
And bringing in another coach also won't bring instant success. That new coach is going to want to build the team his way and we will be starting from scratch again.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 09, 2006, 03:21:45 PM

Yet everyone thinks Gruden doesn't have time to develop the team.

??? ??? ???  Um....

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 10, 2006, 07:34:20 PM

They are incredibly hard to recognize if you can't flippin' block to effectively enough to let them show their skills. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 10, 2006, 07:35:11 PM

They are incredibly hard to recognize if you can't flippin' block to effectively enough to let them show their skills. 

Is it possible that our O-line is getting worse each week.   :o

BucfaninDC

Starter

#43 : December 10, 2006, 07:40:27 PM

i hear ya... to be honest i don't what this team needs anymore!

QB, FB, TE, LOT, C, WR#1, WR#2, RDE, LDE, UT, WLB, CB#2, SS

That's my list of things we need or I have a strong su**CENSORED**ion we may need in the next 1-2 years.

That seems like an arguement for a QB.  With so many holes to fill, why start with a DE or WR?  A "Franchise QB" would be a nice building block, but would be like admitting were 2-3 years away from being competitive.

Realistically, they are 2-3 years away from being competitive. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 10, 2006, 07:45:39 PM

Is it possible that our O-line is getting worse each week. :o

You watched, I watched, I would say flip a coin - if they are getting better I am not seeing it.  They need a center, and Buenning back.  Would be great to sign a FA LOT or be able to get the top on in the draft.  Not saying Davis is the issue, but he would make a good back up at 2-4 line positions.  And this team needs space to shore up other positions.

For all the witchin' going on there would be a huge improvement with the addition of 4 to 5 right FAs or draft picks.  The line issues are making the rest of the players look bad.  Fix the lines and watch the overall level of play go up quickly.  JMHO

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise Quarterback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools