Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Fabulous Sports Babe, has finally come back to the Bay « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 04, 2008, 05:36:04 PM

Looks like the little puppy will have some competition on the airwaves this year, finally a breath of fresh air

St. Pete Beach resident Nanci Donnellan, who created the "Fabulous Sports Babe" persona in Tampa in the 1980s when a back injury forced her to do the show from a sick bed, and turned it into a national gig, will return to the Tampa Bay airways April 11 when she joins former Bucs linebacker Scot Brantley on WHBO, 1470 AM, the station announced Friday.

"Brantley and The Babe" will air weekday afternoons from 3 to 6 p.m.

In 1994, The Fabulous Sports Babe became the first -- and remains the only -- woman to host a national sports talk radio show when she debuted on the ESPN Radio Network. For the next 8 years, "The Fabulous Sports Babe Show" was heard by millions of listeners every weekday on over 300 radio stations nationwide.

In 1998, The Babe was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent successful treatment. She continued to host her show every day during her treatment hoping to encourage other women facing a similar situation. The Babe has now been cancer free for nearly 10 years.

Since 2006, she has filled in at several radio stations including Tampa, Seattle and New York. At the neighbors' insistence, she has gone back to work.

"Adding The Babe to Brantley's show and our already great lineup cements WHBO ESPN AM 1470 as Tampa Bay's leading sports station," program director Dro Silva said. "Pairing these two superstar broadcasters and the best brand in sports, ESPN, allows us to super serve our listeners and advertising clients. Plus, with the response from the advertising community now that The Babe has arrived, I'm not sure who's more pumped: the staff, the listeners or our advertisers."

"There isn't a better huddle to get into than with WHBO AM 1470 and the ESPN brand where I'm re-launching my broadcast career fulltime," The Babe said. "I'm especially pleased that I already know so many people employed with Genesis. I am and have always been a huge Scot Brantley fan. It's like coming back home. Exciting times are ahead."

LINK

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 04, 2008, 05:52:50 PM

does 1470 gave any other sports talk shows?
all i listen to is 620

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 04, 2008, 05:55:48 PM

They are the local affiliate with ESPN radio

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 04, 2008, 06:13:33 PM

Bye,Bye,Dumbdog...Nancy is the best there is EVER at sports talk radio....thank god...I called them up and they are working on getting a better sending signal...but if you can't hear them they are on the internet   sportsradio1470.com     phone # 813 849 1470

MBF

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 04, 2008, 06:17:05 PM

Is she really a "babe"?

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 04, 2008, 06:18:46 PM

yea can they  reach me down in sarasota?

and yea, duemig is horrid

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 04, 2008, 07:04:58 PM

That is awesome!!! "Brantley and The Babe"; this will be worth listening to!

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 04, 2008, 07:12:35 PM

Still have the signal problems. I'll certainly give it a listen where I can.

BTW....JP's show is awful. I'd rather listen to Deumig. I didn't get to listen to JP when he was on during the lunch hour too often but his show deteriorates into too much sophomoric stuff too often.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

watson

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 04, 2008, 08:17:56 PM

The other neat thing about listening on the internet is you get the video transmission of them doing the show as well.  I don't/won't listen to 620 again after all the garbage the DUMB said last season.  Glad to hear Nancy D is back.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#9 : April 04, 2008, 09:15:11 PM

this will be a reunion of sorts for these two because both worked together at SportsRadio 910 in the early 90's, and hopefully 1470 will have a better reception or else I won't be tuning in very much cause it's just not worth it to try and hear through fuzz and a fading signal.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 04, 2008, 09:35:33 PM

Be ready for some more anti-Gruden talk. When Babe subbed for Big Dog she was spewing the same old stuff.  I guess if she does her homework and tries to learn about what is really going on she will do well. If she just gets her opinions from reading the papers and talking to her neighbors then she will get old fast.  We already have Dan Sileo for that.

OldBloodandBucs

Starter

#11 : April 04, 2008, 09:37:20 PM

I am a fan of Scot Brantley, so this is great. Long ago I stopped listening to 620 because all of them are fools anyway, and I welcome the "new" personality wholeheartedly! I am glad they'll be shoveling diirt into the final resting place of the little dog.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 04, 2008, 09:42:04 PM

Brantley annoys me with his niceness.  "Well no doubt Hitler has had a bad couple of years, but hopefully he can get it back on track and use his charisma for good things in the future.  We'll just have to wait and see...".  But a change of chemistry could help things.  At least the Babe is willing to give a straight opinion.  Like i said it just depends if she wants to try to form some connections with the local sports teams or if she is just going to go off what she reads in the paper.

12thbuc

Starter

#13 : April 04, 2008, 10:22:05 PM

Is she really a "babe"?
hell no

Xbox live: throesch
MSNM: naplesbuc@live.com

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 04, 2008, 10:59:45 PM

She has a  body for radio.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Fabulous Sports Babe, has finally come back to the Bay « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools