Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Falcons could be smelling like a rose after this draft « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#105 : April 09, 2008, 09:51:59 AM

Rowdie, I think an elite WR still brings in at least a first - I think that plus some change was Deion Branch's price for example, but I can't remember exactly.

Moss was a totally different deal - he controlled where he went essentially because of his salary. He wanted to go to a contender and coming off the season we had I sincerely doubt he would have considered us for a second. I'm sure there are 31 fan bases that say the same thing, but realistically only a couple could have made a legitimate play for him.

Most teams were not in a position to take on randy moss.  Pats were the perfect fit for him.   

Tallent vs value wise I'd guess the two examples were about as much at odds as I'd find if I looked.  Two first  to one fourth, yeah that's an amazing spread especially when you consider Key was coming with as much bad press as Moss.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#106 : April 09, 2008, 10:00:38 AM

I see the tackle from BC is up there.  I'd be wary of that guy. I question how hard he'll work.  I guess he kicked it up at the combine?  Considering the standing of his team all year long you'd have thought he'd work extra hard, but I didn't see it. 

I see some drafts have him taken in the first.  Wow! 

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#107 : April 09, 2008, 12:53:22 PM

Rowdie, I didn't really focus on Cherilus at BC, but he really stood out at the Senior Bowl practices. He terrorized quite a few DEs there.

Don't know what he did at the combine.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#108 : April 09, 2008, 01:15:56 PM

Flacco will be a bust, and one OT does not make their OL anything to worry about. Cason is nice but their safeties still suck, they still need DL help and they better hope Michael Turner is the answer. I am not worried about Atlanta at all.

Also, for what my opinion's worth (which isn't much) the Michael Turner signing is highly overrated. He barely flashed in SD when he got the chance to go at a defense worn out by the best back in the NFL. Now he's supposed to walk into a bottom five team and be the savior? I don't see the correlation. He may be okay, but he will not be the reason they become a legit contender.
Turner running behing Jake Long and Justin Blalock on the right side should scare you.  Doesn't solve all their problems on offense but that would be the makings of one powerful running game.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#109 : April 09, 2008, 05:33:07 PM

Rowdie, I didn't really focus on Cherilus at BC, but he really stood out at the Senior Bowl practices. He terrorized quite a few DEs there.

Don't know what he did at the combine.

I'm sorry Senior bowl was what I was thinking of as well.   I'm not shocked he tore it up, I didn't catch it, cause he certianly showed some of that capability this year at BC.  You always go in with expectations and perhaps mine were too high, but I most certainly kept an eye on that guy figureing he and Ryann woudl be the only guys worth drafting off the offense and man, the misses sure stood out to me. 

I'm not recalling specific games, wish I could, but BC didn't play UVA so you didn't get to see him vs long, but Clemson, VT, Miami, FSU don't lack for DE tallent and he played all those teams, VT twice. Still I just dont' recall single gamer performances, just the strong feeling that he was not what I hoped. 

He may have more athletic tallent then Tru and maybe more capable to playing LT in the NFL but as far as his performance at BC I'll take Tru. 

Seems to me that's one of the big wild cards in the draft. You never are quite sure where a kids head might go when he goes from what some seem to consider near slavery (though I strongly disagree) to being a millionair and then some.

Quick look ahead, keep an eye on both DT from BC. Raji comeing back from taking a year off to make sure he knows where his class rooms are, and Brace. Brace got way FAT last year, but if he can keep that inline he should play on sunday's and two years ago Raji was a madman. With any luck the year off will be a positive.  The DE are sub-par to be kind but I still think the tallent of the DT's should show through.

No one will be running up the center, and if they start passing it hopefully Raji can actually get some pressure this year.

Brace really needs to get back into shape.

Any way the only game I still have tivoed is the Bowl win so.... not sure michigan state is much of a test of the LT. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#110 : April 09, 2008, 06:17:43 PM

Tyrell Johnson feature

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#111 : April 09, 2008, 08:37:25 PM

I don't drool over SW, but history has shown he's one of the better prognosticators out there so I pay attention. You're entitles to your opinion on King, but I see it you have your big 4 corners (Jenkins, DRC, Talib, and McKelvin) and then everyone else after them. Just like those 4 could go in pretty much any order, I think the next bunch could too so I'm not too concerned if one site has King below Cason and another site has Cason above King. It's just personal preference and depends on the team. I wouldn't say one is a reach over another.

Eh, his prognosticating skills can be questioned, but the fact is he runs a simple, popular site that reaches a lot of people. I don't really mind it when people reference it, just when they form their opinions almost verbatim from his. Good to hear you aren't the latter. I'm not big on Cason at all, but I'd take him over King easily. Played better in college as a shutdown CB as opposed to getting lit up occasionally, better ball skills, also has return ability, and is a better tackler. King is a prospect who's stock is VERY weighted to his physical potential and not the play he's shown. I tend to be weary of those types. Like Sinorice Moss. I haven't seen any with King over Cason though.

Frankly I consider Otah a bigger project than Nicks and he could go top 10. I like Cherilus fine and he would be a good substitution, but I went for Nicks because I like my right tackles with a little rounder frame and Mike Smith had a heavy o-line in Jax so I think Nicks would be a better pair with Blalock from last year. Of course he doesn't have the speed to handle edge rushers but few right tackles do as you only see about 1/3 the quality of edge rushers on the right side than the left. As for Baker, I'm not fond of him nor have I been fond of pretty much any of the offensive players to come out of USC in the last few years. I liked Collins during the regular season but he had a bad off season, not showing the athleticism to play left tackle nor elite power to play right tackle. I see him more as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

I gotta disagree strongly there. First, I don't see at all how you think Nicks would be a better fit next to Blalock. What do you really base that on? Also, it seems he would have to play LT to play next to Blalock. But I think as long as you're a great run blocker (which Cherilus is), it doesn't matter how big you are. Like Arron Sears. He's among the best run blockers we've had in a long time there. I'd take him at 320 over Fonoti at 350-ish. If you can move your man backwards, it doesn't matter if you're 300 or 360. And also don't underestimate the number of pass rushers that come from the LDE spot. Our own Gaines Adams was one. Julius Peppers, Strahan, Trevor Pryce, Ogunlye, Kampman, Tamba Hali, Robert Mathis, Leonard Little, Patrick Kerney. The best rushers are usually RDEs, but the LDEs are no slouches themselves. I could see a guy like Nicks becoming a Kareem McKenzie type whipping post if he doesn't improve his pass blocking. I've soured on Baker too, but you can't deny his talent at the top of round 2. Colllins is TERRIBL.......Y underrated by the fans. He's going to be a very good, very balance tackle who may end up playing LT.

Mayo is good and Tennessee certainly knows how to produce linebackers. I couldn't argue with taking him at #34 if he is there. I'm a bit skeptical of Lofton because OU seemingly has all these great linebackers every year but they don't look like much on the NFL - Rocky Calmus, Teddy Lehman, Lance Mitchell, Rufus Alexander, etc. GTech has a pretty good reputation with under the radar linebackers.

Thats always some sketchy logic there, FRG. You're going to say Lofton isn't good because someone like Rufus Alexander isn't? One, I don't think thats fair to the player. Two, wouldn't that make Booty and whomever his successor is are stud QB prospect because Leinart and Palmer were? Three, Rufus' stock plummeted. Lofton's should hold steady. Likewise, I wouldn't crown Wheeler a stud because Daryl Smith turned out ok.

The Falcons can't even be expected to be .500 until 2009 at the earliest. I think they can handle a project. These players can learn on the field without worrying about screwing up an already humming machine.

It's not that they want to get better right away, it's that these picks are the safest possible. Like the position the Dolphins are in.  Probably, and the Falcons are right there with them, the least talented roster in the entire NFL. And they have this prior #9 overall pick that they spent on a WR who may not pan out to much. It's just like with us and our OL. We knew our limitations and we knew our track record wasn't the best on the OL, so we took very good college players from notoriously good OL colleges. We went to the Tennessees, BCs, Oklahomas, and Wisconsins and we found a few keepers. It's not fool-proof by any means, but it's the safe route to go.

It's not that they don't have the time to wait for these guys to pan out, it's that they shouldn't be taking these big risks when their pantry is damn near empty. Now if the Phins would have taken a LB, which is known to be one of the safest and most productive positions, especially when you're talking about a Pat Willis type elite talent, they'd have a piece they could build around instead of a question mark.

I actually like smaller school players in the secondary. Bigger schools with more experienced coaching staffs tend to play more sophisticated coverages to hide their players' weaknesses. Small schools just let them play.

They have their advantages, but in line with my last point, small school guys are a little too unproven for my taste in their shoes.

That would be a solid haul but part of me just sees Barrett as a workout warrior and Young appears to be just as much of a project as Cousins but without as much upside.

I'd like Barrett in their position because he's a true SS with size who can play very well in the box if coached right, and he's got that great 40 time as just a bonus. A nice compliment to Jimmy Williams' skill set at FS. Young is a less talented OL than Cousins, but I don't see him as a project any more than you're usual player. Cousins is a TRUE project. Young projects perfectly to guard and has experience at both tackle positions. And, of course, there is the reason that he is a 4th round pick (a quality on IMO) and Cousins would be hypothetically taken 35 picks higher by you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#112 : April 10, 2008, 08:47:54 AM

I gotta disagree strongly there. First, I don't see at all how you think Nicks would be a better fit next to Blalock. What do you really base that on? Also, it seems he would have to play LT to play next to Blalock.
My bad I goofed and assumed Blalock played right guard because that is usually where you put your power guard.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Falcons could be smelling like a rose after this draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools