Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Falcons could be smelling like a rose after this draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 05, 2008, 10:13:06 AM

As bad as the Falcons were last year, the Bucs' offense averaged 295 yards per game against them. I don't take any team for granted. There's not a big difference between winning and losing in the NFL.

Yeah but FRG the Bucs got up by multiple scores on them and sat on it. They blew out the Falcons last year in both games, you can't just look at the YPG, why not look at PPG?

In 2007 the Bucs averaged 29 PPG while the Falcons averaged 5 PPG in the two contests. So, knowing that now, is it really not that big of a difference?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#16 : April 05, 2008, 10:20:06 AM

By all appearances Jimmy Williams has been a complete bust at corner. There's been talk of playing him at free safety, but so far it's just been talk.

Correct, and they moved up to get him. He probably will play S but they have massive holes in the secondary, massive. It won't be corrected quickly.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : April 05, 2008, 11:18:24 AM

As bad as the Falcons were last year, the Bucs' offense averaged 295 yards per game against them. I don't take any team for granted. There's not a big difference between winning and losing in the NFL.

::)

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

#18 : April 05, 2008, 11:51:18 AM

The Falcons could be serious contenders in just a few short season from now with the amount of draft picks they have this season.

1) #3 - Jake Long (T) would be an instant upgrade
2) #34 (OAK) - Antoine Cason (CB) fills the void after the Hall trade
3) #37 - Joe Falcco (QB) the future
4) #48 (HOU) - Trevor Laws (DT) fills the hole after the release of Coleman
5) #68 - Jordy Nelson (WR) chain mover opposite White
6) #98 (comp pick) - Martellus Bennett (TE) fills the hole left by Crumplers release

you know the falcons wont be that smart to take those players.  they have to find at least 3 busts.

dodda45

Starter
#19 : April 05, 2008, 12:07:37 PM

Look at the Patriots drafts the last two years...they miss just like everyone else does...Merriweather and Jackson?  They have been getting by lately on free agent pickups (Walker, Moss, A.  Thomas, Seau, Stallworth, etc) To get the picks, the Falcons had to get rid of a lot of players, some pro bowlers...If they had to play today, they would be the worst team in the league easily and so they better hope they hit on a least 50% of their picks in this draft which is not likely...They have no corners or safeties of note (horrible defensive backfield made worse by losing Hall), Brookings is getting up there and definitely slipping and the only good linebacker they have is Boley...They have one decent receiver in White though Jennings is not too bad...They have no tight ends at all, no offensive line except for one guard, they have Harrington and Redman at QB (enough said)...

Their only area of strength at all is at running back with Turner, Norwood and Ovie...Oh yeah, with Trey Lewis out for probably the year...their defensive line went from bad to absolutely horrible.  They better hope oft-injured Abraham stays healthy and Jamaal Anderson records at least one more sack then last year (which was zero)...

Guys, that's a lot of areas that need to be addressed...Remember, this team averaged 16 points a game last year...

The last two years, the Patriots have drafted exactly ONE starter!  Last year they traded away their 2nd and 3rd round picks but they had 8 draft picks total and only ONE even made the active roster...

In other words, I am not worried

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#20 : April 05, 2008, 12:56:17 PM

This draft could be monumental for that franchise if they hit on 3 of their picks from rounds 1-3. No team ever really gets this many premium picks in one draft so now would be the opportune moment for ATL to capitalise. Atlanta won't be anywhere near the playoffs this year but if this draft proves successful, all it will take is 1/2 more solid offseasons to put them in contention.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 05, 2008, 01:38:23 PM

Good grief - wait until their draft picks hit the field before you hit the panic button people. The St. Louis Rams had an unbelievable number over two years because of the **CENSORED**erson trade (and a lot higher than the Falcons), and had nothing but busts out of it. Gaston Green anybody?

T

Hall of Famer

#22 : April 05, 2008, 02:23:45 PM

That would mean everyone of their picks panned out, how often does that happen? Doesn't even happen for the Pats.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#23 : April 05, 2008, 09:46:52 PM

Look at the Patriots drafts the last two years...they miss just like everyone else does...Merriweather and Jackson?

To be fair, I think Meriweather was solid and only going to get better. Like how we view Gaines.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : April 06, 2008, 12:15:14 AM

There 1st round pick might start, but the rest of the picks are not just going to come in and start right away..

As long as Blank is running this team, they will never scare me..

Atlanta should move that crappy franchise to CHATTANOOGA TN.. LOL

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : April 06, 2008, 12:05:42 PM

They have six picks - they have 20 needs - at this rate it takes a couple of years just to get the talent level.

And everyone and their brother is looking Dline - which forces Oline, and neither position is deep this year

Falcons don't have 20 needs and they have more than enough picks to address their needs.

Offensive line (specifically OT) is considered deep. Defensive line is deeper with run stuffing DT's. What will be coveted obviously is the pass rushing ends that will be in limited supply but since the Falcons have multiple high picks that isn't an isssue for them.

Okay - they need a new Oline, TE, DTs, DEs, LB, CB(maybe 2) - I got them at 12 off the top of my head.  And assuming what they have now is good enough for depth - which is a leap - 20 is not that far off.  By the way - the 12 need to be NFL average this year.  And that would be a damn nice trick.  For anyone.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#26 : April 06, 2008, 03:00:48 AM

There 1st round pick might start, but the rest of the picks are not just going to come in and start right away..

As long as Blank is running this team, they will nevr scare me..

Atlanta should move that crappy franchise to CHATANOOGA TN.. LOL

They had two start right away for them in the last draft, they didn't have as many picks, and they hadn't gotten rid of their talent. Alge, Dunn, Coleman, DeAngelo, plus the holes they already had. I could see 4 or so start for them. Lack of talent, wealth of picks. Yeah, I'd say that shapes up well for their top picks to start soon.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 06, 2008, 09:38:39 AM

cycles.  the falcons will be back, so it seems you guys want to enjoy it as much as you can now.  i definitely agree with the premise of the thread, the falcons could form a solid base with a wise draft.  and with a new guy calling the shots, anything can happen.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#28 : April 06, 2008, 09:54:59 AM

Man I wish we had all those picks.....shucks.........man I am jealous.....who cares.  The draft is 50/50 at best and I think it might be a bit premature to worry aobut the future of this years draft....with global warming happening daily, we will probbly all be dead in 2 years, so really this draft will be................ worthless.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#29 : April 06, 2008, 09:56:08 AM

with global warming happening daily, we will probbly all be dead in 2 years, so really this draft will be................ worthless.

LOL
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Falcons could be smelling like a rose after this draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools