Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Falcons could be smelling like a rose after this draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#30 : April 06, 2008, 10:12:26 AM

Flacco will be a bust, and one OT does not make their OL anything to worry about. Cason is nice but their safeties still suck, they still need DL help and they better hope Michael Turner is the answer. I am not worried about Atlanta at all.

I'm also in this boat. The safe bet is that they jack up the draft. If nothing else the straight odds are that at least 3 of their 5 high picks won't pan out. Also, for what my opinion's worth (which isn't much) the Michael Turner signing is highly overrated. He barely flashed in SD when he got the chance to go at a defense worn out by the best back in the NFL. Now he's supposed to walk into a bottom five team and be the savior? I don't see the correlation. He may be okay, but he will not be the reason they become a legit contender.

count me on board as well.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : April 06, 2008, 10:33:41 AM

If the Falcons play their cards right they can be competing starting this year.  They signed Jason Elam to solidify their kicking situation.  That means they now have a reliable kicker that can grant them the 3's beyond the 30.  That is a boost to their low scoring per game average.

Michael Turner is exactly the type of back that troubles this defense.  He has the ability to take it to the house every play so gap discipline will be paramount against him.  And to top it off Turner is a physical back as well which also causes trouble for this defense.  Paired with the ever elusive Norwood this will have to force Monte to bring his A game in gameplaning against them.

Their defense was very, very underrated last year and will see some upgrades and replacements for departed players.

This is the one team the rest of the division can not sleep on.  The Panthers, Bucs, and Saints may all be in the race for the divisiont title in 08 but the Falcons will be major spoilers for sure.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#32 : April 06, 2008, 10:37:33 AM

Puhleeeeease...The Falcon's will be lucky to see 6-10 next year. As far as Turner goes, we'll just stack the box and make Joey Harrington, Chris Redman or rookie QB beat us. Which they aren't capable of doing.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : April 06, 2008, 10:44:26 AM

The same Turner everyone was clamoring for is now a dud?  Norwood + Turner = Lots of hurting if the Bucs do not bring their A game on defense.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#34 : April 06, 2008, 10:47:45 AM

The same Turner everyone was clamoring for is now a dud?  Norwood + Turner = Lots of hurting if the Bucs do not bring their A game on defense.
Turner is the exact type of power back that gives even the best Bucs defenses problems, and that was with Sapp and Booger, now we have Haye and Hovan.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#35 : April 06, 2008, 10:49:05 AM

Well you never completely overlook anyone but....

I would be much more concerned about Turner if they had a decent QB or OL to keep us honest.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#36 : April 06, 2008, 10:59:58 AM

Michael Turner is exactly the type of back that troubles this defense. He has the ability to take it to the house every play so gap discipline will be paramount against him.

I agree but with that OL and that QB it really limits what Turner can do, IMO. He's used to running behind the SD OL, now he's going into a different world with a journeyman QB and horrendous OL. Teams will dare Redman to beat them and only key on Turner, since he's the only threat.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#37 : April 06, 2008, 11:01:48 AM

They have plenty of picks to address their OL and QB situation.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#38 : April 06, 2008, 11:04:06 AM

Rooks aint gonna solve their problems. At least for a while.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#39 : April 06, 2008, 11:05:17 AM

Rooks put the 07 Bucs over the top.  Care to retract your statement? :o

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#40 : April 06, 2008, 11:05:58 AM

They have plenty of picks to address their OL and QB situation.

But it will not likely have an impact this year, or next year to be honest. Nobody hits on all their picks, you're implying they will. I'd bet they hit on 50% which is a good start but they have a long way to go.

I love Turner but like all RB's if they're the only threat on a offense it makes it very difficult to be productive.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#41 : April 06, 2008, 11:06:59 AM

Rooks put the 07 Bucs over the top. Care to retract your statement? :o

but the foundation was here, you just needed a couple of players. The Falcons don't have that foundation and will be relying on rookies. I think you'll agree

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#42 : April 06, 2008, 11:09:13 AM

Rookie OL make an impact year 1 (eg Sears).  They have the picks to build an o-line, draft a quality QB to groom, and improve their defense.  They are trying to build up that team to be a mirror image of the Jags with a focus of a ground game with a solid defense which always provides problems for this Bucs team.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#43 : April 06, 2008, 11:09:25 AM

No.

We are not the same team as the Falcons. Our base was far better than where they are right now.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#44 : April 06, 2008, 11:11:19 AM

but the foundation was here, you just needed a couple of players. The Falcons don't have that foundation and will be relying on rookies. I think you'll agree

Falcons foundation is as good as the Bucs up to this point.  The Bucs do not enjoy a significant gap in terms of talent level compared to the rest of the division.  
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Falcons could be smelling like a rose after this draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools