Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Donnie Avery's workout was "lights out" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#15 : April 05, 2008, 01:00:08 PM

No. He will still go in the 2nd round.
James Hardy
Mario Manningham
Malcolm Kelly
DeSean Jackson
Limas Sweed
Devin Thomas

Will go before him.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : April 05, 2008, 02:18:25 PM

No. He will still go in the 2nd round.
James Hardy
Mario Manningham
Malcolm Kelly
DeSean Jackson
Limas Sweed
Devin Thomas

Will go before him.

Have any good stock tips, too?

dm4bucs

Starter
#17 : April 05, 2008, 02:22:42 PM

I like Avery and I won't be mad if he is taken by the bucs in the first round, but i hope they are able to trade down a bit and then take him.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#18 : April 05, 2008, 02:43:37 PM

We need to draft J Galloways repalcement in this draft. Galloways position in Grudens offense, the
X position, is definitley the speed position. I'm not gonna say I know a whole lot about any of these guys, but from what I've read and heard, Avery sounds like a WR with very similar traits as JG. It is known that D. Jackson is slightly built and not real fond of the middle of the field. Can't have that in an NFL receiver, at least in a player you expect to take over for Galloway.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#19 : April 05, 2008, 02:48:08 PM

I like Avery and I won't be mad if he is taken by the bucs in the first round, but i hope they are able to trade down a bit and then take him.

exactly my thaughts

dm4bucs

Starter
#20 : April 05, 2008, 08:10:47 PM

Donnie Avery, WR, Houston
Avery, who struggled with a hamstring injury at the combine, wowed scouts earlier this week with his speed and quickness. His 40 times were fast, clocking between 4.32-4.35, and his three-cone time of 6.29 was amazing. His performance in the three cone was almost .3 faster than the next best turned in by any receiver at the combine.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/03/risers.sliders/index.html

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#21 : April 05, 2008, 08:37:29 PM

that is impressive but take pro day numbers with a grain of salt.  doesn't it strike anyone as odd that some guys are adding 5-6 inches to their vertical leaps and shaving .2 seconds seconds or more off their 40 times in some instances during these pro days?

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#22 : April 05, 2008, 09:05:37 PM

that is impressive but take pro day numbers with a grain of salt.  doesn't it strike anyone as odd that some guys are adding 5-6 inches to their vertical leaps and shaving .2 seconds seconds or more off their 40 times in some instances during these pro days?

Yeah, nothing against Avery but I've never put much stock in pro days. They're a little ridiculous, except for the drills. I like Brohm, but there's no way I believe his pro day 40 time of 4.5 or 4.6 over what he ran at the combine. Same goes for Manningham, who ran 4.58 at the combine and 4.45 at his pro day. And countless others before them. The combine is as official as it gets. And while you may have a bad day there, or a good day at your pro day, I see no reason to consistently believe the pro day measures over their pro day counterparts.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : April 06, 2008, 12:19:47 AM

For Donnie Avery to go #20 to the Bucs there would need to be atleast one medical issue knock a guy out of the first round. There would need to bea minimum of 3-4 WR taken before #20 (no way that happens). Basically there is little to no chance in heck that we take Avery at #20....

Baghead #2

zed

Pro Bowler

#24 : April 06, 2008, 09:12:42 AM

We've been known to reach in Round 1 and Round 2 for that matter as well.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#25 : April 06, 2008, 09:26:02 AM

that is impressive but take pro day numbers with a grain of salt. doesn't it strike anyone as odd that some guys are adding 5-6 inches to their vertical leaps and shaving .2 seconds seconds or more off their 40 times in some instances during these pro days?

Yeah, nothing against Avery but I've never put much stock in pro days. They're a little ridiculous, except for the drills. I like Brohm, but there's no way I believe his pro day 40 time of 4.5 or 4.6 over what he ran at the combine. Same goes for Manningham, who ran 4.58 at the combine and 4.45 at his pro day. And countless others before them. The combine is as official as it gets. And while you may have a bad day there, or a good day at your pro day, I see no reason to consistently believe the pro day measures over their pro day counterparts.

exactly dbt.  the combine puts prospects through their paces by neutral coaches and scouts.  The pro day has the element of "home cooking" to deal with.  but you cant fake the route running and how he caught the ball though.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#26 : April 06, 2008, 11:01:57 AM

What makes Sweed, Kelly, and Thomas any better than Avery?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#27 : April 06, 2008, 11:06:45 AM

Nothing.

That is why there isn't a WR worth drafting in the first round IMVHO. 

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#28 : April 06, 2008, 11:44:03 AM

Despite the fact that...

1) They got better coaching at their prospective schools
2) They played against better competition in games and practice
3) They played in big time games and played well

Also when you look at the problems drafting a R1 WR and god knows its been noted here on this board, drafting a guy like Avery in R1 IMHO would greatly enhance the chance that you fail with that pick. The thing that Thomas, Kelly and Sweed possess that Avery will never have is the ability to go up, elevate and get the ball over top of people. I think the notion of drafting Avery in R1 is laughable, sorry just being honest...

Baghead #2

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : April 06, 2008, 11:50:29 AM

Nothing.

That is why there isn't a WR worth drafting in the first round IMVHO.

10000% agreement on that statement ADW. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Donnie Avery's workout was "lights out" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools