Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jim Brown, is he the greatest or overrated? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#90 : April 07, 2008, 04:49:47 PM

GameTime,guess your another newbie on here,people that know me respect me ...of course that all comes in time.

i guess that depends on your definition of newbie.  where does respect come into play?  the best, classiest, and most exciting players in your mind were 4 decades ago.  thats a long time ago, and it must be difficult to watch when no one is up to those standards today.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#91 : April 07, 2008, 06:54:59 PM

GT - that is not what he said - at least I don't think so.  He said Brown and Graham were the bust he has seen - but the rest is something being provided by you.  Just sayin' man.

And honestly, though I don't recall Graham - 4bucs is much older than I, he led his teams very well. 
You know who LT reminds me of - Eric **CENSORED**erson. Both great runners - I have never seen anyone who reminds me of Jim Brown. Maybe that is the difference.

Really? AP reminds me more of **CENSORED**erson than LT. Even Chris Brown does, if he would stop getting hurt so much. But LT does cut back and burst thru a hole lightning-quick much like ED used to.

If anyone reminds me of Brown's style, it wouldve been George Rogers in the early 80's, but he wore down too fast..

Yep, Jim Brown was the grinder not the grindee...  sorry, but I didn't see any Jim Brown in George Rogers - he was a very good back - but not the similiar to me.  Brown was over, around, or even somehow though the defense.  Always looked like he was on his last legs, always back to wear the d out more... always winning the battle...

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#92 : April 07, 2008, 07:33:32 PM

GT - that is not what he said - at least I don't think so.  He said Brown and Graham were the bust he has seen - but the rest is something being provided by you.  Just sayin' man.

babe ruth was the best, koufax was the best, robinson was the most exciting, classiest and smartest, brown was the best, graham was the best.  and i never said there is nothing wrong with that opinion.  maybe its just a testament to what has happened to sports in america over the past 50 years...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#93 : April 07, 2008, 07:59:32 PM

Lets see in 9 years 106 TDs, 12,312 yards for a  5.2 yards per carry.. I know that you cannot compare eras, but if he is not #1, he is right there...

#94 : April 07, 2008, 11:43:58 PM

**CENSORED**erson is nothing like LT in any way shape or form. one was a tall upright finesse runner and the other is shorter and low to the ground and more of a slasher.

4bucs

Hall of Famer

#95 : April 08, 2008, 03:29:56 AM

to be honest I  really can't think of any running back like jim brown ...at 235 he had power and track speed if he broke through the line he could go all the way ...no body could catch him.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#96 : April 08, 2008, 07:37:34 AM

Lets see in 9 years 106 TDs, 12,312 yards for a 5.2 yards per carry.. I know that you cannot compare eras, but if he is not #1, he is right there...

Reminds me of that Bum Phillips statement about Earl Campbell - something like 'he might not be in a class by himself, but it doesn't take long to call the role' .  Forgive my memory - by it pretty close.

As for my LT and Eric **CENSORED**erson comparison - it is fine if you want to disagree BucTown Native - interesting how you used the term slasher when describing LT - bc that was the same term I was going to use with E. **CENSORED**erson comparison...  and I agree with RedAlert, AP fits in that group comfortably at the conclusion of his first year.  He will need to continue his peroformance to stay there.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#97 : April 08, 2008, 07:55:57 AM

Earl Campbell was in my mind more like Jim Brown than anyone else I can think of.  If you added the fluidity and agility of **CENSORED**erson to Campbell's tenaciousness, you'd be real close to having the next  Jim Brown.
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jim Brown, is he the greatest or overrated? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools