Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs sign Williams through 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1

replica

Hall of Famer
: December 08, 2006, 09:20:36 PM

Updated: Dec. 8, 2006, 6:43 PM ET
Bucs lock up personnel exec Williams through '08By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have retained a key member of their scouting staff for two more seasons, signing personnel executive Doug Williams to a contract extension through 2008.

Williams' current contract was to have expired next month.

"I want to be a major part of what happens with this football team," Williams said.

His role in the personnel department, evaluating both pro and college talent, figures to become an even more significant one. Tampa Bay is projected to have nearly $30 million in available salary cap room for 2007, and the Bucs are expected to be major players in the free agent market, as they attempt to rebound from a disappointing 2006 campaign.

With an aging defense, and several holes on offense, the free agent evaluations of Williams and director of pro personnel Mark Dominik will take on added import. The Bucs in the past few years have concentrated more on building through the draft, but have said they will look to free agents to fill some needs.

Williams, 51, is in his third season in the team's personnel department and his profile continues to grow.

A former Bucs quarterback, and the team's first-round pick in the 1978 draft, Williams brings a diverse background to the Tampa Bay organization. He played nine NFL seasons with the Bucs (1978-82) and the Washington Redskins (1987-89), with a stint in the USFL in between.

In 1987, Williams led the Redskins to a Super Bowl XXII title and was the game's most valuable player.

Williams then went into the coaching ranks and was head coach at Morehouse College and at Grambling University, before rejoining the Bucs as a scout.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 08, 2006, 09:23:00 PM

Like I said, Gruden and Allen aren't going anywhere next season.

Bucnation619

Second String

#2 : December 08, 2006, 09:24:59 PM

good Deal with bucs

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 08, 2006, 10:08:41 PM

I'll give him just one job:  Find the next Doug Williams. If he can do that I'd give him his full pay and send him on vacation for the next two years.

#4 : December 08, 2006, 11:20:13 PM

Like I said, Gruden and Allen aren't going anywhere next season.

Careful DTG....the Chronic or the Guru will be in to shoot down that theory.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 09, 2006, 05:40:45 AM

This is a highly underrated re-signing and I like it.

agsapp

Starter

#6 : December 09, 2006, 07:02:01 AM

This is a highly over-rated re-signing and I hate it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 09, 2006, 07:52:02 AM

Dough has been impressive thus so far and I am quite suprised with what he has been able to do.

agsapp

Starter

#8 : December 09, 2006, 08:24:49 AM

I've been surprised too.  He's been able to show up at work on time and hasn't done too much damage with his draft advice.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 09, 2006, 08:32:49 AM

I've been surprised too.  He's been able to show up at work on time and hasn't done too much damage with his draft advice.

See I disagree.

Care to explain why you feel this way?  ???
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs sign Williams through 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools