Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yuccs Final Mock, plus team needs and players that fit « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 10, 2008, 06:47:50 PM

This is based off of player interviews from the senior bowl, east west shrine game, scouting combine, interviews and meetings at One Buc Place and reading between the lines from press releases as well as searching the internet.

CORNERBACK
With Brian Kelly opting out of the final year of his contract, the team will need to add a young prospect that has the upside to become a stud in the secondary. Considering Ronde Barber is 33 along with the contract status of Phillip Buchanon, Eugene Wilson and Sammy Davis being up at the end of the 2008 season is a must the team comes away with one in this draft

WIDE RECEIVER
With aging veterans Joey Galloway and Ike Hilliard imagine what the team would have to rely on if injury befell one of them. Slow an unproductive at best, the team needs speed and play making ability at the receiver position.

RUNNING BACK
With the age and injury status of the teams RB corps in question, along with Graham wanting a new contract, the Bucs might be looking for the future, with such a talented group of underclassman declaring this year.

DEFENSIVE LINE
The Bucs could use another D-lineman either a defensive end or defensive tackle that can rush the passer. With must of the teams line being at 30 or older, the problem is that it is a lean year for pass rushers in this draft.

OFFENSIVE LINE
The team lacks depth along the offensive line after build a young line the team could use some depth to ensure itself against injury.

With the theme of this draft being playmakers wanted the Bucs are sitting in great shape to land a few that can contribute to the team this year and for the foreseeable future.

QB
QB Josh Johnson – Decent arm strength, good pocket presents, playmaker, elusive

QB Kevin O'Connell - Good size, decent arm strength, needs work in the film room, has good pocket presents 

QB Joe Flacco – Big arm,good mobility, heady player

QB Brian Brohm – Leader, decent arm strength, not overly mobile

QB Andre Woodson – Accurate passer, slow release, lacks pocket awareness

RB
RB Chris Johnson – Playmaker, good speed, great hands, vision, a threat to take it the distance every play. slight build

RB Ray Rice – Short compact build, tough runner, good speed, doesnt go down easy, decent vision

RB Kevin Smith – Good vision, cutback runner, upright runner, decent speed, good hands

RB Matt Forte – Power runner, has decent speed, big physical, decent hands

RB Tashard Choice – Between the tackle runner, decent size speed combination, good hands, lacks elite speed

RB Jonathan Stewart – Power runner, great speed, good vision, tough runner, good hands

RB Jamaal Charles – Elite timed speed,decent vision and balance, good hands, has extra gear

RB Thomas Brown - Has a polished all around game, tough runner, decent picking up the blitz

WR
WR James Hardy – Decent size speed combination, great red zone weapon, decent route runner, good hands

WR Donnie Avery – Top notch speed, lets ball get into his body, lacks size

WR Jerome Simpson – Decent size, great hands, clean route runner

WR Jordy Nelson – Big, deceptive speed, good student of the game, decent hands

WR Dexter Jackson – Elite speed, not always focused, more a PR/KR at this level

WR Mario Manningham – Skinny frame, lacks top notch speed, decent hands, glory hound

WR Lavelle Hawkins – Polished receiver, decent route runner, shows good speed, good hands, understands the game

WR Eddie Royal – Needs work, elite speed, PR/KR, big play flare

WR Devin Thomas - Great size speed,good hands, very physical, solid build

OL
G Donald Thomas – Mean player, needs to add lower body strength, can play either guard or center

T Anthony Collins – Can pull, good size, need to improve footwork, athletic

T Chris Williams – Has a mean streak, better run blocker then pass blocker, smart heady player

T Daune Brown – Athletic, quick, lacks upper body strength

T Jeremy Zuttah – Good size speed combination, lacks height

C Steve Justice - High motor, lacks bulk, tireless worker

T Barry Richardson – Big frame, marginal footwork, decent football smarts

G Drew Radovich – Smart, has a mean streak, aggressive player, not a natural knee bender

G/T  Branden Albert – Good size and bulk, needs to work on lateral quickness, can play either guard or tackle,

C Mike Pollak – Good quickness, physical player, decent pass protector, uses hands well

C Cody Wallace - Quick off the snap, better against the run, decent strength

CB
CB Mike Jenkins – Good technique, fluid hips, physical, good speed

CB Antoine Cason – Playmaker, good ball skills, lacks elite speed, perfect zone corner

CB Brandon Flower – Heavy hitter, good tackler, can play either man to man or zone, decent ball skills

CB Tracey Porter – Athletic, great speed, decent ball skills, not overly physical

CB Dwight Lowery – Great ball skills, doesnt have top flight speed, a zone corner

CB Jack Williams – Lacks size, decent speed, good technique, lacks toughness

CB Trae Williams – Decent hands, good size, needs work on his technique

CB Charles Godfery – Great size, physical, decent ball skills, competitor

DL
DT Trevor Laws – High energy, high motor player quick first step, uses hands well, good technique.

DE Derrick Harvey – Has good burst off the line, inconsistent against the run, decent speed, needs to use hands better

DT Dre Moore – Good speed size combination, has a mean streak, good upper body strength, immature.   

DT DeMorrio Pressley – Decent run stopper, lacks pass rush skills, has trouble diagnosing plays

DT  Athyba Rubin – Big massive wide body, lacks explosiveness, decent ahlete

DE Brian Johnston - Decent size, good production, plays decent vs th run, edge wave rusher

DT Pat Sims – High effort, high motor player, has ideal bulk, quick first step, tends to disappear at times, possesses mean streak

DT Carlton Powell – Good run stuffer, doesn't offer much in the way of pass rush, lacks speed, decent technique, anchors well against double teams.

DT James McClinton – Good speed, excellent first step, perfect fit for the Tampa 2, decent pass rush moves.

DE Jason Jones – Good size and speed, solid player, offers some rush ability, stout vs the run

DE Eric Bakhtiari – Great college numbers, high motor, high energy player, quick twitch player, needs to use hands better

DE Chris Ellis – Pass rusher, relentless pursuit rusher, lacks bulk, not stout vs the run 

DE Kendall Langford – Big massive frame, stout vs the run, decent technique

DE Lawrence Jackson – Productive player, not stout against the run, decent speed, needs work vs double teams.

DE Darrell Robertson – Good balance and motor, speed rusher, needs to add bulk, plays soft against the run.

MOCK DRAFT
1. WR James Hardy – Big tall rangy receiver, good hands, more quick then fast, has the size to go over the middle, great red zone threat.

2. CB Brandon Flowers – Physical corner, has fluid hips, gets good break out of his back pedal, plays the ball well

3. QB  Josh Johnson – Has that 'IT" factor that you cant teach, accurate passer, can keep plays alive with his feet, understands the west coast scheme

4. DE Brian Johnston – Quick twitch player, stout against the run, has the speed to get around the edge

5. G Donald Thomas – Underrated guard prospect that might be able to cross train at center, is a physical player with a huge upside.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Calvin Johnson

Hall of Famer

#1 : April 10, 2008, 07:03:18 PM

I wouldn't mind having Jordy Nelson at all. smart and a good target on 3rd down. Reminds me of Brandon Stokely

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 10, 2008, 07:13:55 PM

I like the analysis but I not too fond of the selections you have. But who knows how it will fall in round one.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 10, 2008, 07:18:05 PM

I actually really like this mock. And if Johnson gets taken before our pick we can take a DE in the 3rd and take O'Connell in the 4th. He is someone that Garcia can teach not someone you just throw in there and that is what is needed.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 10, 2008, 07:39:52 PM

Brian Johnson is the only pick I even kind of like.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#5 : April 10, 2008, 07:59:07 PM

i doubt brandon flowers will be there in the second.. considering the cowboys are expected to take him in the first.  he could drop.. but not that much.

i dont have an opinion on hardy.
i would love to see what gruden can do with josh johnson.
and the other guys i have not heard of but will take your word for it.
good work as always yucc.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#6 : April 10, 2008, 08:33:46 PM

I fear what Gruden would do with Josh Johnson

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#7 : April 10, 2008, 08:44:30 PM

I actually would like to defend Gruden on his QB strategy. When he started in Oakland, he had a capable vet QB in Gannon who did lead his team to the Super Bowl the year after Gruden left as we all know. But Davis didn't like Gruden's passing strategy so he was expendable and Gruden had Gannon so no real grooming was necessary. So now he was in Tampa. First year Super Bowl. After that it has been up and down. And the only possible prospect for him to bring up would be Simms (who isn't absolutely horrible) but still a 3rd round pick.

Before I go after his QB grooming ability, I'd like to see what he can do with a 1st or 2nd rounder or someone with Johnson's ability.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 10, 2008, 08:47:56 PM

Yucc I really appreciate your work on this, and think it is a pretty good mock.  I don't understand much of what you had to say about Chris Johnson however.

"Good speed" for the fastest player at the Combine, and tied for the fastest in COMBINE HISTORY since electonic timing began?  Then you describe others who are slower as "elite speed"?

You say he has a "slight build"?  Since when did 5'11" 197 lbs become slight?  Draftscout describes him as having "a compact build with good overall muscle tone, a thick chest, broad shoulders, tapered thighs and legs with enough room on his frame to carry at least another 10 lbs of bulk without having it affect his explosive quickness".

Do I detect a statement here?

.....just my opinion

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 10, 2008, 08:54:20 PM

No but I detect an agenda

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 10, 2008, 08:56:42 PM

Better put SunnyD, better put!

.....just my opinion

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 10, 2008, 09:04:19 PM

While the average RB is 5'10 to 5'11 around 210 to 220 pounds I would call that a slight build at 197, he is not a between the tackle runner, while he has straight line speed, he does not have the cutting ability some others have, he might have the fastest 40 time, but is it functional speed? as far as cutting ability

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 10, 2008, 09:07:04 PM

he looks liek he doesnt cut as much as he side steps.  shaun alexander thrived in the league for a few years just side stepping tackles and not really cutting.
graham side steps and doesnt cut.  caddy cuts.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 10, 2008, 09:41:12 PM

....and he takes that 40 speed to the field.  His speed is also functional speed.  He is not a tackle-breaker, but he CAN break tackles.

Also, Desean Jackson has a slight build, Chris Johnson does not.

.....just my opinion

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 10, 2008, 09:45:21 PM

....and he takes that 40 speed to the field.  His speed is also functional speed.  He is not a tackle-breaker, but he CAN break tackles.

Also, Desean Jackson has a slight build, Chris Johnson does not.

He is not a tackle-breaker, but he CAN break tackles.

^^^^ thats sentence has so much truth.  i admire it.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Yuccs Final Mock, plus team needs and players that fit « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools