Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson scouting report « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: April 11, 2008, 06:13:30 PM

This is his scouting report from nfldraftscout.com

Positives: Has a lean, angular frame that needs to add more bulk, but shows no loss in quickness after increasing his weight by 10 pounds from his junior to senior seasons... Has a tight abdomen, toned thighs and calves, adequate arm length and minimal body fat...Quick, mobile scrambler with above average balance and body control to make all the throws when on the move...Possesses that second gear needed to elude when rushing past the line of scrimmage and the vision to locate the cutback lanes... Very smooth in his retreat from center to his throwing point, demonstrating the slide-and-adjust agility to step up in the pocket or roll out to avoid pressure...Shows very good knee bend and the ability to weave through traffic, making a good effort to provide ball security before heading up field...Capable of handling the mental aspect of the game, as he makes all of the required reads and checks to excel in a pass-oriented offense...Won't hesitate to square his shoulders and drive his legs to gain tough yardage up the middle rather than passively head to the sidelines to avoid any contact...Doesn't force the ball into traffic and can keep defenses honest with his long-range arm strength or ability to weave in and out of traffic as a ball carrier...With his body control, agility and hip flexibility, he is quick driving back from center, doing a nice job of setting his feet in either 3-step or 5-step drops...Gets to his throwing point fluidly and has the balance to make all the throws on the run...Nimble and agile rolling out of the pocket and has the balance to step up and avoid pocket pressure...While patient waiting for the plays to develop, he is not the type who will hold on to the ball too long and then try to force the action to make the play, as he knows when he needs to throw the ball away...Demonstrates the compact delivery and throwing motion, along with the wrist flick, to get the ball out cleanly and quickly. He has a compact motion, holding the ball chest-high to execute a fluid three-quarter release...Seems more comfortable airing the ball out, rather than playing dink-and-dunk with a short-area passing game (accuracy is a bit off on screens, wheel routes)...Effective at throwing ropes 40 yards downfield with ease...Accurate throwing from the pocket and has the balance to also make those throws on the move...Consistent setting his feet and shows good mechanics delivering the ball on time...Likes to air the ball out more than stay underneath, as he knows how to get the ball to his targets in stride rather than have them wait or come back for it...Keeps his cool under pressure and knows that when all else fails, he has the feet to step up and avoid the pocket pressure...Stands tough under duress and shows confidence in his ability to execute the play...Patient waiting for plays to develop and does a very good job with ball security...Vocal on the field, demonstrating a little bit of Brett Favre with his bravado...Capable of getting big yardage with his feet and is a dangerous threat running with the ball...As a ballcarrier, he shows good strength and body lean to gain additional yardage after the initial hit and is conscious of protecting the ball and shielding it from the defenders...Builds to top acceleration nicely and is alert to coverages (won't run into spots too often)...Knows how to get the ball to his deep targets over their outside shoulder without the receiver having to adjust.

Negatives: Needs to add more bulk and has just adequate height for a drop-back position, but does a good job of scanning the field and his mobility could be an asset in a spread offense...Must work on his timing a bit (needs to take a bit off those tosses to make it easier for the receiver to secure without having to adjust), but has the vision to scan the field and make good progression reads...Gets the ball through the throwing arc well and has a lively arm, but needs to learn how to vary his speed at times (puts too much zip on his short throws)...Has good arm strength, but when he fails to set his feet properly, his throws will wobble...Has not faced as many complex defenses as he will experience in the NFL, but he shows good anticipation and timing making all of his throws.

Compares To: RANDALL CUNNINGHAM-ex-Philadelphia (1986-95), Minnesota (97-99), Dallas (2000), Baltimore (2001)...Like Cunningham, Johnson's athletic ability separates him from the rest of this quarterback crop. He is not as big or strong as Randall, but has the same body control, balance and scrambling ability that forces defenses to account for not only his arm, but also his feet. He will need to add more bulk to compete at the next level, but with his developing arm strength and excellent vision, he would be an ideal fit for a West Coast/spread offense.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 11, 2008, 06:31:00 PM

honeslty... his disadvantages seem like avantages in JG's westcoast system.  the only problem is the Reading of the D. but if he sits behind garcia for a year and griese for maybe a hlf of a year. he will learn and get it.

i would love to have him in the third.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#2 : April 11, 2008, 06:31:28 PM

dennis dixon clone

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#3 : April 11, 2008, 06:39:37 PM

In a WCO, he'd need to overcome his inaccuracy and excess velocity on short passes. Those short passes on 3rd down are critical to the success of the WCO. Sounds great otherwise...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : April 11, 2008, 06:42:00 PM

In a WCO, he'd need to overcome his inaccuracy and excess velocity on short passes. Those short passes on 3rd down are critical to the success of the WCO. Sounds great otherwise...

change short with middle and you have Dixon. Still dont know why people love this guy and not Dixon. I watched Dixon private workout and he was solid not great but if he gets a little more accurate on his 10-13 yard throws he can be a starter, his deep balls were money

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 11, 2008, 08:06:21 PM

Thanks for the info, OBF. He actually sounds like a better prospect from this, assuming he's healthy:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/dennis-dixon?id=748&campaign=gsi_g

Do you know if Dixon plans on pursuing football over baseball?

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 11, 2008, 08:11:48 PM

change short with middle and you have Dixon. Still dont know why people love this guy and not Dixon. I watched Dixon private workout and he was solid not great but if he gets a little more accurate on his 10-13 yard throws he can be a starter, his deep balls were money

Because this guy's the great unknown and Dixon isn't. 

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 11, 2008, 08:43:59 PM

SBF, even the reading of the D was only that he would face more complex defenses in the NFL.  It also says he is "capable of handling the mental aspects of the game.  Makes all of required reads and checks to excel in a pass oriented offense."

From something I read somewhere he was coached the first few years by Jim Harbaugh, and I also read that they used Jon Gruden's Oakland Raider playbook there, and Josh Johnson knows the entire playbook...every audible every checkdown, everything!

If this is true, while Gruden has made some changes in his playbook and his offense since he has been in Tampa, what an advantage that would be for Johnson AND Gruden....again, if this is true.

BTW, I like Dixon too...but Josh Johnson more.

.....just my opinion

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 11, 2008, 08:47:06 PM

...also, this statement that he needs to add bulk was listed before the combine.  At that time, and at the Senior Bowl he had gained up to about 198 lbs.  At the combine he weighed 213 lbs, and ran a 4.44 at that weight!

.....just my opinion

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#9 : April 11, 2008, 08:48:07 PM

I'm starting to warm up to this idea.

My Omar Jacobs comparison is fading

No higher than the third though in my opinon

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#10 : April 11, 2008, 08:48:14 PM

Because this guy's the great unknown and Dixon isn't. 

haha  i agree to that. i saw dixon get hurt in that game last year, and his team faltered after that.  i dont know much about him, but i rather josh johnson because of what bucjoe says.  he knows part of JG's system, and i like all his physical ability.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#11 : April 11, 2008, 08:50:25 PM

Agree SunnyD, no higher than a 3rd round pick.  I would prefer the 4th, but I don't know if he will be there then.

.....just my opinion

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 12, 2008, 10:37:17 AM

and he had only 1 interception last year...so the part about him being inaccurate is inaccurate ;D

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 12, 2008, 03:12:56 PM

i have trouble picking a player in the 3rd that didnt get a college scholarship.  especially when we have luke at the same position.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#14 : April 12, 2008, 03:23:21 PM

i have trouble picking a player in the 3rd that didnt get a college scholarship. especially when we have luke at the same position.

I would have a problem picking him the 3rd round but not because of anything to do with scholarships.  What you do on the field is all that matters.  Jeff Garcia wasn't drafted, would like him gone? 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson scouting report « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools