Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson scouting report « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Agent Orange

Starter

« #30 : April 14, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »

I'm thinking Dennis Dixon in the 5th sounds good to me. I was thinking of going with Johnson in the 3rd but I think he'll be gone by the time we pick and Dixon should be available and he'll have time to adequitely recover from his injury sitting behind our other 12 QBs here.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #31 : April 14, 2008, 07:35:05 PM »

I'm thinking Dennis Dixon in the 5th sounds good to me. I was thinking of going with Johnson in the 3rd but I think he'll be gone by the time we pick and Dixon should be available and he'll have time to adequitely recover from his injury sitting behind our other 12 QBs here.

You mean when he is potentially thrown into the fire during the 2009 season.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #32 : April 14, 2008, 07:57:02 PM »

I really like Josh Johnson, but I can't see us spending anything higher than a 4th round pick for him.

A lot of us have talked about a lot of scenarios here, including taking a cb as late s the 4th round, but I don't see us going past the 3rd round b4 we take a cb.

.....just my opinion

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #33 : April 14, 2008, 07:58:07 PM »

I think we might spare a 3rd for him or somehow see where O'Connell falls. I really haven't seen much on the kid but I'm hearing great things about him.

Plank

Starter

« #34 : April 14, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »

and he had only 1 interception last year...so the part about him being inaccurate is inaccurate ;D

In an interview he said that one pick hit the TE (I think) in the chest, bounced off his pads and the defender came down with it. If it bounces off your chest it should have been caught.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
« #35 : April 14, 2008, 10:58:52 PM »

I like Josh a lot but I think Gruden would not be able to develop the kid. The bottom line here is that Gruden does poorly with younger talent because his playbook is so complex. If his playbook was not so difficult a young QB would stand a chance. Vets are needed to run his offense. Johnson didn't play anyone. He had a decent senior week but bad combine. We usually draft proven players and while Johnsons stats look nice he isnt "proven." I know Doug Williams has the hots for Johnson and all, but that doesnt mean anything to me. When has the Bucs ever drafted a QB that actually stayed and produced in Tampa?

I think we are better off going Brohm in round one if we are looking into acquiring another QB. Josh isnt worth a third round pick when there is so much other talent available... 4th round is a possibility but sometimes you can really hit in the 4th round (tanard jackson) and there really could be a good talent with much less risk still on the board. I would say D-line is more of a need than QB... I just dont think the Bucs are that interested in drafting a QB at this point unless there is high value in the pick.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #36 : April 14, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »

TbC, I agree that the Gruden playbook is very difficult and complex.  However, if what I have heard is true (and I just don't know whether or not it is) Josh Johnson was taught from Gruden's Oakland Raider playbook, and I read that he knows the entire playbook including every audible. 

IF that is true, he could very well be the exception to all the rules relating to a young qb having difficulty learning his playbook, since he would know it before he even came in to camp, except for the changes Gruden has made since he came to the Bucs.

.....just my opinion

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #37 : April 14, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »

This is a quote from Jon Gruden on Johnson

"That’s hard to do," Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said of Johnson’s unbelievable TD-to-interception ratio. "Then you watch the East-West game, and watch him run around and make plays. Phil Simms (the former New York Giants’ star) came out of Moorhead State. A lot of these guys came out of small schools. He’s going to play in the league, I’m convinced of that."

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
« #38 : April 14, 2008, 11:51:45 PM »

During a discussion on the NFL Network between Mike Mayock and Steve Mariucci, they both said 43 tds and 1 int was unbelievable.  They agreed that regardless of the level of competition that was incredible.  Mariucci said when he was coaching they couldn't do that in the 7 on 7 drills!

.....just my opinion

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #39 : April 15, 2008, 01:31:46 AM »

I think Luke better prove it this year. He needs to beat out Jeff. He's 26, been in this system for 3 years and obviously is an athlete. Otherwise, I believe he'll be a career backup. Do we want to risk losing a year of development for a rookie if Luke isn't the guy? Consider the young talent on the team and their maturation...

Luke needs an honest opportunity to win the job, that's for sure.  I think the reality is he might not even get an honest opportunity to win the #2 job.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
« #40 : April 15, 2008, 06:46:04 AM »

I like Josh a lot but I think Gruden would not be able to develop the kid. The bottom line here is that Gruden does poorly with younger talent because his playbook is so complex. If his playbook was not so difficult a young QB would stand a chance. Vets are needed to run his offense. J
I've never really understood this argument. I don't think it has to do with veteran vs rookie as much as it does smart player versus not so smart player. True, Davin, Clayton, and Cadillac have all come in as rookies and made an impact. Take a guy like Brady Quinn. I bet Quinn, despite being just a second year player, could do fine grasping Jon's playbook because he comes from a very QB savvy mentor in college. Jim Harbaugh is another QB savvy college coach. If he had some time to come in and study the playbook, I think Johnson would do just fine. Grads supposedly has the plays down pat, but cannot achieve what is required physically. So it just takes a very heady football player to run this offense successfully.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #41 : April 15, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »

TbC, I agree that the Gruden playbook is very difficult and complex.  However, if what I have heard is true (and I just don't know whether or not it is) Josh Johnson was taught from Gruden's Oakland Raider playbook, and I read that he knows the entire playbook including every audible. 

IF that is true, he could very well be the exception to all the rules relating to a young qb having difficulty learning his playbook, since he would know it before he even came in to camp, except for the changes Gruden has made since he came to the Bucs.

while this could be true, i have a hard time believing a bunch of non-scholarship kids are running a NFL offense.  or that josh johnson ran his college offense, passes his classes and learned the most complex NFL O on his own time.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

« #42 : April 15, 2008, 09:06:15 AM »

I like Josh a lot but I think Gruden would not be able to develop the kid. The bottom line here is that Gruden does poorly with younger talent because his playbook is so complex. If his playbook was not so difficult a young QB would stand a chance. Vets are needed to run his offense. J
I've never really understood this argument. I don't think it has to do with veteran vs rookie as much as it does smart player versus not so smart player. True, Davin, Clayton, and Cadillac have all come in as rookies and made an impact. Take a guy like Brady Quinn. I bet Quinn, despite being just a second year player, could do fine grasping Jon's playbook because he comes from a very QB savvy mentor in college. Jim Harbaugh is another QB savvy college coach. If he had some time to come in and study the playbook, I think Johnson would do just fine. Grads supposedly has the plays down pat, but cannot achieve what is required physically. So it just takes a very heady football player to run this offense successfully.

Totally agree with this comment.  I've read somewhere that J.Johnson is very 'heady' and was offered scholarships.  Turned them down because he wanted to focus on his education... 

« #43 : April 15, 2008, 09:19:33 AM »

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile---josh-johnson---qb?autoplay=true

Good Stuff... with an interview.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #44 : April 15, 2008, 10:10:28 AM »

I think they should draft the easter bunny.  He's pretty quick and I hear has great touch on his short throws. 

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson scouting report « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools