Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson scouting report « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#45 : April 15, 2008, 10:20:17 AM

I like Josh a lot but I think Gruden would not be able to develop the kid. The bottom line here is that Gruden does poorly with younger talent because his playbook is so complex. If his playbook was not so difficult a young QB would stand a chance. Vets are needed to run his offense. J
I've never really understood this argument. I don't think it has to do with veteran vs rookie as much as it does smart player versus not so smart player. True, Davin, Clayton, and Cadillac have all come in as rookies and made an impact. Take a guy like Brady Quinn. I bet Quinn, despite being just a second year player, could do fine grasping Jon's playbook because he comes from a very QB savvy mentor in college. Jim Harbaugh is another QB savvy college coach. If he had some time to come in and study the playbook, I think Johnson would do just fine. Grads supposedly has the plays down pat, but cannot achieve what is required physically. So it just takes a very heady football player to run this offense successfully.

Totally agree with this comment. I've read somewhere that J.Johnson is very 'heady' and was offered scholarships. Turned them down because he wanted to focus on his education...

As you said it takes a heady player to be in this offense. We honestly dont know how heady the guy is. Gradkowski was a very intelligent guy and he got the playbook but he cant deliver as you stated, but will Johnson be able to deliver? Will Johnson be able to make the throws that Grads always misses? Who knows the answer to this? No one. Based on his combine, he didn't do so well throwing the ball. Could it have been his back, certainly. But if it wasnt? We would be drafting the black version of Bruce gradkowski in the 3rd/4th round. To me, that doesnt sit well.

If we draft him of course I would be pulling for him. I would want a guy with his scramble-ability at the QB position to succeed Garcia. I just don't know how much different he is from Grads who looked ridiculous in college but blows in the pros...

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#46 : April 15, 2008, 10:39:15 AM

TbC, I agree that the Gruden playbook is very difficult and complex.  However, if what I have heard is true (and I just don't know whether or not it is) Josh Johnson was taught from Gruden's Oakland Raider playbook, and I read that he knows the entire playbook including every audible. 

IF that is true, he could very well be the exception to all the rules relating to a young qb having difficulty learning his playbook, since he would know it before he even came in to camp, except for the changes Gruden has made since he came to the Bucs.

while this could be true, i have a hard time believing a bunch of non-scholarship kids are running a NFL offense.  or that josh johnson ran his college offense, passes his classes and learned the most complex NFL O on his own time.

Just as important as which Offense they may have run is what sad HS defenses they faced.  A good number of flag football teams run more complex D.  This guy plays in some sub-sub-division of the championship subdivision.  That's not good, you can't take anything away from that.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson scouting report « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools