Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The steal of the draft is... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

: April 11, 2008, 09:52:59 PM

I dont consider steals in round 1 but my steal of the draft is.... Dennis Dixon call me a homer. But I saw his private workout and he was very solid for being 85%. He was flat out money on the deep ball. Threw behind WR a few times in the 10-15 yard range (may be due to the rust IDK).

Yes Im a Duck fan but I think in round 5 hes a steal. In round 5 all you can ask for is a solid backup and I think he can do that and potientally start someday.

Heres the article from the new SI
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c...ixon/index.html

from the article...

But no QB in this draft has longer arms (36.25 inches) or bigger hands (9.75-inch span) or a faster 40 time (4.49 seconds last year at Oregon). When Dixon was a junior, Bellotti told him he was a better prospect than Vince Young. And that was before Dixon completed 67.7% of his passes in 2007, with 20 touchdowns and just four interceptions. Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft expert, believes Dixon is a better passer than Young but not as explosive a runner.

If Dixon stayed healthy he would be the 3rd QB off the board. People ride guys like Josh Johnson jock ONLY because he played well in the senior bowl.  Like Mike Trico said today hes the best prospect people are forgetting about.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#1 : April 11, 2008, 09:57:03 PM

B4 he got hurt, I thought he would be a perfect Buc qb, especially with his ability to throw the long ball to go along with his great mobility.

I STILL think he would be a steal in the 4th or 5th round.

.....just my opinion

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#2 : April 11, 2008, 09:57:33 PM

i would certainly entertain the thought of dixon in the 5th.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#3 : April 11, 2008, 09:59:13 PM

U dont have the full link to his profile there. I dont know about that one, I really am not interested in another late round Qb pick (see Bruce Gradkowski)....

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#4 : April 11, 2008, 09:59:27 PM

I have been on Johnson, Johnson long before the senior bowl, while Dixon has all the tools to be a decent pro in the right system, I am not to sure about his knee. It might be ready to go or might not. I dont have an opinion on him, that is not to say after seeing some footage and reading up on him I would not rank him right there with Johnson

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : April 11, 2008, 10:03:16 PM

dennisdixon10.com has footage of his workouts. He also said he ran a 4.6 this offseason and hes only 85% healthy and he was disapointed in it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : April 11, 2008, 10:04:19 PM

i would rank him above johnson on the fact that he played serious college football, and did pretty well.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#7 : April 11, 2008, 10:06:57 PM

Sorry, but I just dont see him a Buc. It just doesnt seem right...

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#8 : April 11, 2008, 10:09:05 PM

This is Dixon's scouting report from nfldraftscout.com

Positives: Has a tall, lean frame with athletic muscle tone, minimal body fat (4.5%) and a frame that can carry at least another 15 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness...Has a tight waist and hips, with good thickness in the legs and thighs...Demonstrates very good balance and body control driving back from center and his quickness needs to be accounted for by the defense when he runs with the ball, as he has the valid second gear to separate...More patient in the pocket, but will not hesitate to run with the ball, adding a dangerous weapon to the ground game (ranks second in school history in yards rushing by a quarterback)...The team used the shotgun formation mostly, but Dixon has the quickness and athletic agility to move in the pocket and drive back from center to his throwing point...Best staying in the short area when throwing off the sprint, but can push the ball downfield on roll-out action when he steps into the throw...Quick and decisive, making good progression reads...Has worked on becoming more compact with his over-the-top delivery, showing a quicker release than he did in the past...Efficient using a sidearm release on the move (can adjust his release to the situation) and has effective throwing mechanics...Steps into his throws better and his compact, natural release has greatly reduced turnover totals...Has the functional arm strength to make all the throws, but needs to be conscious of his footwork, as he must step into his long tosses in order to prevent the ball from spraying...Can fire the ball into tight areas and showed in 2007 that he can unleash the deep ball without having to wind up like he did in the past...Looks to have much better velocity and zip on the ball after refining his release point as a senior and it is now rare to see his targets having to adjust...In the short area, Dixon's touch is evident, as he is doing a better job of setting his feet in order to have better accuracy...As evident by the 2007 Michigan and Stanford games, he now knows how to lay the ball out for the receiver to run under without having to make adjustments in the route...Knows when to take something off his short tosses and does a nice job of feathering the ball over the receiver's outside shoulder and away from the defender when attacking the deep zone...Steps into his throws better and has a more fluid finish (no longer pats the ball before throwing)...Even though he is still a very dangerous runner, he is more confident in his protection and will step up into the pocket or slide to avoid...Teammates have confidence that he will make the right decisions as he is more likely to go through his progressions rather than try to force the ball to his primary target...With his quick, rhythm throws on the move, his backs and slot receivers have greatly benefited, as he shows much better vision in locating alternate targets...Shows strength on the run and the loose hips to elude...With his peripheral vision, he does a nice job of sensing backside pressure and is more alert to when he has to step up and out to avoid pressure and buy time to allow the play to develop...Has the valid foot speed to be dangerous on the move...Even though he could use more bulk and strength, he has the functional leg drive to break tackles and shows good body lean to fall forward for extra yardage...Especially effective throwing to his left on the roll out and has the straight-line speed, along with the elusiveness to take the ball to the house when running past the line of scrimmage.

Negatives: Needs to add more bulk to his frame in order to absorb punishment in the pocket at the professional level...Did not communicate well with the previous offensive coordinator, but the arrival of Chip Kelly as the team's new coordinator and quarterbacks coach saw the staff cater their game plan to Dixon's assets...Threw under duress frequently in the past and was too jittery in the pocket, but he learned to take time to make his reads and checks and will throw the ball away rather than try to create something out of nothing...Not known as a "gym rat" in the offseason training room and needs monitoring in order to do the little extras, but the new offensive coordinator had him more involved in the game planning than the past regime...Can throw on the move, but must be alert to setting his feet and stepping into those throws, or it will affect his accuracy...When he throws across his body or off the wrong foot, his passes tend to spray, causing his targets to adjust off their routes...As a junior, he was always waiting for the "hook" from the coaching staff and lost confidence in his ability to read coverage and would force the ball too often, especially on deep routes (had five games with multiple interceptions)...In the past, he did not always follow through when throwing deep, as he had a bit of a long throwing arc...Under the old coordinator, he looked very skittish standing in the pocket and would bolt at the first sign of pressure...Doctors anticipate he will need a minimum of six months to recover from December left knee anterior cruciate ligament reconstructive surgery, making it hard for teams to get a good evaluation on his recovery leading up to the April draft...The injury could possibly make him reconsider his career path, as he is already property of the Atlanta Braves baseball organization. (In a late November interview after his injury, the QB was asked about whether he would play baseball or football and responded, "I'll talk with my family at the end of the season," Dixon said. "I'll see what my (NFL draft) forecast is and how I do at the various evaluations and talk to my family. It will be a thorough decision process. ... I have a lot of options. The sky is the limit.").

Compares To: WARREN MOON-Ex-Houston/Minnesota/Seattle/Kansas City...Like Moon, Dixon is emerging late in his career, having found the ideal tutor in offensive coordinator Chip Kelly. He is a dangerous scrambler who is showing much better patience in the pocket and better confidence in his ability. He is using his fine peripheral vision to make better checks and progression reads and no longer plays with an attitude that he has to make something spectacular happen on every play. He still needs to be conscious of stepping into his long throws better, but unlike another Oregon one-season wonder, Akili Smith, Dixon appears to have more value as an athlete and a better concept of how to execute a game plan.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#9 : April 11, 2008, 10:23:18 PM

call me a homer.
I would never call you a homer. ...............ABuccsFan whispers Justin Phinissee and Anthony Trucks.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : April 11, 2008, 10:24:37 PM

So the scouting report states what Oregon fans know... Dennis Dixon was wasted under Gary Crowton.

The SI article says hes in the gym sometimes 9-5. Whenever Im down in eugene watching spring practice, I usually always see Dixon or his car.

We know he needs to add weight and he knows that as well as every team in the league.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : April 11, 2008, 10:26:36 PM

call me a homer.
I would never call you a homer. ...............ABuccsFan whispers Justin Phinissee and Anthony Trucks.

what did I say about them... Phinisee was one of the best punt returners in college FACT and a very good CB his senior year but ran a slow 40 fact.

Anthony Trucks was a very good player his senior year FACT. And fits the mold of a Tampa 2 LB and was worth a flyer in the 7th rd and I still think he was.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 11, 2008, 10:26:57 PM

He is going to have to answer the baseball question before the draft.

.....just my opinion

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : April 11, 2008, 10:27:58 PM

He is going to have to answer the baseball question before the draft.

He answered today on ESPN and ESPN radio all day today. He isnt playing baseball

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#14 : April 11, 2008, 10:30:46 PM

call me a homer.

what did I say about them... Phinisee was one of the best punt returners in college FACT and a very good CB his senior year but ran a slow 40 fact.

Anthony Trucks was a very good player his senior year FACT. And fits the mold of a Tampa 2 LB and was worth a flyer in the 7th rd and I still think he was.
Come on OBF...is that really all you said about them? Be honest now.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The steal of the draft is... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools